1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tweeters affect ohms?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nxrunner, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Nov 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    nxrunner

nxrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab 6 Speed
    Trying to help a buddy out, installing some after market speakers and a alpine ktp 445u amp in his 2012 Tacoma. He is currently wanting to keep the factory head unit, just install some tweeters (2 ohm) and some coaxial 6x9 (2 ohm) in the front doors and 6.5 coaxial in the rear doors (2 ohm) {I know he should have gone with components :eek:}. The alpine amp is 2 ohm stable x 4. Will the 2 tweeters and the 2 6x9's drop the ohm down to 1 ohm? is there some way to wire these speakers to work with this amp? i tried talking him out of it, but he pretty set on using this set up as his girlfriend purchased most of it as a gift. Please advise.

per this link, looks like tweeters doesn't really affect ohms, Just really wanting to be sure. Thanks again

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/192032.html

2. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    DylansBase

DylansBase Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Murfreesboro TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Taco TRD Off-road
    Bilstein 5100 w/OME 886 All pro expo leafs w/icon 2.0 Relentless Fab plate bumper BFG KO2
    Look up series and parallel wiring. There's so many ways to wire everything. Depending on how you wire, with those #s you could easily wire to less than an 1ohm (.xx) ohm. But you could also wire to 8 ohms. I'll get a link for better explanation

3. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Sure, you would wire them in series to 4 ohms (nominal).... but;

You should really use some kind of passive crossover. If you don't, it's going to sound like shit, you will run into impedance issues, and you will likely blow those tweeters.

4. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    DylansBase

DylansBase Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Murfreesboro TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Taco TRD Off-road
    Bilstein 5100 w/OME 886 All pro expo leafs w/icon 2.0 Relentless Fab plate bumper BFG KO2
  5. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    nxrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    the tweeters come with an adjustable crossover. will this suffice?

UPDATE - after closer review the tweeters are 6 ohm. So Please tell me if i Understand this correctly, 2 ohm 6x9 + 6 ohm tweeter = 4 ohm? So this will work with the 2 ohm stable amp? then again the rear speakers are 2 ohm? can i mix / match these 2 speakers?

6. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    ugh where to start with this

7. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    nxrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    sorry for the frustrating you guys.
    :eek:

8. Nov 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    wait till he finds out those static ohm ratings mean nothing when music is playing....

9. Nov 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db
    It's a four channel amp so I don't see there being a problem here... Only your front speakers will have 2 speakers per channel... I have the same amp in my taco running 4 alpine coaxial 6.5 alpines... No secondary tweeters cause honestly in a tacoma xtra cab the 4 tweeters are more than enough...

10. Nov 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    nxrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    Please someone chime in. Really need some help here.
    From an ohm calculator website, if i connect the 6 ohm tweetes and the 2 ohm 6x9's, i will end up with a 1.5 ohm load which will not work with the 2 ohm stable amp.

11. Nov 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    I think you'll be ok just putting the tweeters in parallel. They don't consume very much current like larger drivers such as woofers and subs do.

Yes, your amp will see a 1.5 ohm load on two of the channels but only on the frequencies that the tweeters are operating on. This should not be a problem. Now, if you were to do the same thing with woofers or subs, then you would have a problem because a 1.5 ohm load there would cause a larger current flow than the amp is meant to handle.

Also, the thing you have to remember here is that 6 ohms is the impedance of the speakers, not the resistance. Impedance is the resistance that AC (Alternating Current) sees at a specific frequency or frequency range. Resistance is is what DC (Direct Current) would see. Even the tweeters in the 6x9's and the 6.5 coaxials have simple crossovers which filter out the lower frequencies by creating a higher impedance to those frequencies. By doing this, lower frequencies are blocked and the amp in effect doesn't "see" the tweeters as a load at frequencies below the crossover point.

If you think about it, and you totalled up all of the drivers on all of the speakers on one of the channels, you would get an extemely low resistance. two 2 ohm drivers in parallel on the 6x9's or the 6.5's would be 1 ohm, but because they have crossovers, the amp still only sees 2 ohms across the entire frequency range. I hope this makes some sense. :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  12. Nov 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    nxrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    That makes a ton of sense now. Since the tweeters are only high range, they should not interfer with the 6x9 lower frequencies or create a lower ohm as seen by the amplifier. Thanks a lot for posting this info. I will continue on with the install. If for some reason the tweeters wont work, I may just run them of the head unit. Thanks again for your clarifying help.

13. Nov 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    This is good advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top