1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

less recommended oil changes with synthetic?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by brian2010, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    brian2010

brian2010 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab Long Bed
    Scanguage.....i'm working on more lol
    So I have a 2010 Tacoma with the V6.... A friend of mine just bought an FJ, which I believe has the same V6 engine. He told me Toyota sent him a memo the recommended 10,000 mile oil changes vice 5,000 mile oil changes because he is running synthetic oil.
    I tried to search for this online, but I have found nothing. Can anyone elaborate?

2. Apr 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    depends on driving conditions/habits. location.. etc.. if you run a pos filter i would change it every 1k mi... i watch what my oil looks like on the dipstick to determine when to change but never go over recommended change intervals.

3. Apr 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Wolf hit it perfect- Oil Analysis is the only way to tell if you are in a good place to extend your change intervals or go with filter only swaps.

Get a good report back....extend the interval....get another report and see what it says. Go from there. I don't think I'll ever go past 5K tho...

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ forums. 10K is routine for those guys and generally considered safe without analysis. If you want, change the filter and top off the oil at 5k, just to be extra safe.

VW's recommended OCI is 10K on their 2.5L 5 cyl. and 2.0L Turbo engine; BMW and Mercedes have similar regimes. In Europe, they've been doing extended drains for a long time, up to 20k based on driving conditions the computer tracks.

Be sure to use a high quality fully synthetic oil like Mobil1 (there are others). It's good for your pocket book, good for the environment, good for your motor. Just make sure Toyota approves, so as to keep warranty happy, which it sounds like they have for your friend!

5. May 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I was going to do the oil analysis but since it cost over $20 I figured it was cheaper to just change the oil and filter. Anyone here do the analysis? Results?

A friend on a motorcycle forum used to send his oil off for the analysis and the results said that he didn't need to change his oil as often as he did.

6. May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    carsalesguy

carsalesguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Hattiesburg/Laurel, MS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner Sport
    TRD Cold Air, Vent Visors, Hood Protector, Predator Running Boards
    toyota has gone to using synthetic oil in most of the 2010 engines.....

thats why you will see one 2010 camry with 10k oil change intervals, and another idetical to it with 5k oil change intervals.

your friend's fj came from the factory with synthetic....so the book is going to say 10k intervals. tacomas all are 5k......the new 4runner is 10k (dual VVT-i)

7. May 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    I change my oil every 5-6K, depending on where I am driving. I only use Mobil1 Synthetic and OEM oil filter. 10K seems kinda long, but like someone mentioned, get the analysis to see.

8. May 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    There will be many answers to this thread, but what it comes down to is this. Every owner has look at their own situation. Environment, choice of products, driving style, and the engine itself will dictate different answers for different people. In my case I use synthetic oil, a quality oil filter, and do a 50/50 mix of highway and town driving. Based on this info and the fact I put about 8000 miles per year on my truck, I can change my oil once per year. However, to keep Toyota warranty happy, I'm currently changing it every 6 months or 5000 miles. Once the engine is out of warranty, I'll extend my oil changes. In the end, as long as you care about maintaining your truck, you will be fine. JMO.

9. Nov 9, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    warmwaterjack

warmwaterjack Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jack
    Florida Keys
    Vehicle:
    2WD Tacoma SR5
    none
    Every major trucking co. including UPS , FedEx or Roadway uses oil analysis
    Always a great way to go, get into your routine with a few oil changes and then have it done... I use Blackstone on a yearly basis...

10. Nov 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    [​IMG]

4.5 years old... not bad.

Welcome to TW WWJ! Post up a New Members post for yourself.

Products Discussed in

To Top