1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pro Comp 7069 with 285/75/16 Duratracs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jkirkpatrick, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Offroad edition (2000 Tacoma sold in 2018)
    Lift, tires, wheels, bumper, winch, sliders, skids, regeared
    Hi all,

I've got so many threads here book marked, and I'm just looking for a confirmation from the group as I've entered into information overload.

Currently have OME 883 with Dakar with D6XL AAL. Running stock rims with Duratrac 31.5/10.5/15.

I'd like to go to a 33" tire, but prefer to stay away from the 12.5 width profile, hence the 285/75/16 selection. Given that the 285 series is a E range tire, is the ride going to be that terrible compared to my current C range tires? Some of you are running this size, so I wouldn't mind some feedback.

I like the Duratrac for it's snow performance for city driving, but I am open to other tire recommendations. Wheeling is 10%, normal city driving is 80%, and highway driving is 10%.

Pro Comp 7069 that I'm looking at are the 16x8 rim with the 4" backspacing, which should push my wheels out a bit from stock, but not overly so.

I'm guessing that I may have to hammer the pinch weld, but I should be good on all other fronts and I should also be good without doing a rear axle relocation. If I'm wrong, please do tell!

Thanks for all and any replies!

2. Sep 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    I'm running wheelers type B which are the 16x8 with 4" backspacking. I hammered the pinch weld and still rubbed a little so I cut the fender back just to be safe. My fender flare covers the cut so unless you know what you're looking for you'd never know.

Currently my only rub is on the inner fender at the washer fluid reservoir. Not bad. I'll get around to it one day.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    The Duratracs sound like the perfect tire for your driving style. Excellent on-road characteristics, awesome in the snow and ice, good tread wear. The E rated tires will not be that noticeably harsher riding than C rated tires - I would think that with 883's and an AAL in your Dakars, your ride is already pretty harsh.

Also, the 285's are slightly smaller than 33", so rubbing issues will be minimal. Like mustang said, you will probably have to cut the fender liner back a bit, and possibly hammer the pinch weld. I have the pro comp 7069's, but with 255 tires, and they don't rub a bit.

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    Oh yea forgot about your E rating question.

I have had E's and D's on my truck. C's are on the wife's 4 runner. Run your tire pressures at 40 psi max and you'll be fine. I can't tell any difference between the ride of the two vehicles by the load rating.

5. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    jkirkpatrick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear some positive vibes on the E vs C ratings. Yes, my truck does ride a bit harsh, but given we have snow for six plus months up here, it's not so bad.

6. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I'm in the same position. I currently have Michelins which are ok but I'll eventually get 33's. When I do, good snow/ice performance is more important the rock performance...but not by much.

7. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    I have the same lift and same wheels and will most likely be getting the same tires. Hopefully in a couple months. Report back to see how it goes, but I'd imagine they'll work just fine with a little trimming.

8. Nov 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    jkirkpatrick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    So......got the tires and wheels and it drives very nice. No real change in ride harshness from C to E range.

With stock upper control arms, rubbing on inner fender well, but on the outside, not inside.

With new upper control arms (light racing), NO rubbing on the outside fender well but lots of rubbing on the inside fender well. I've got a date with my BFG tonight and I hope to set things straight.

Inner rub is better than outer rub as I didn't want to hammer the outside of the fender well. The inside, I'm not too concerned about.

9. Nov 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    98 Taco Max

98 Taco Max Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    v6 Tacoma 4x4
    i got the same tires last month and am on 16x8 procomp rims with 4.5 backspacing, full OME kit with dakar rears and 881 fronts

i didnt notice any difference in the ride comfort with the E rated tires, i think they feel great on the road

i dont have spacers and clear stock upper control arms no prob, i do rub on the frame at steering lock, and i do rub on the rear of the front fenders some even after pounding the pinch weld in and trimming some plastic. i think it would help a bit if the caster was cranked more forward but could only get it so far with my stock CA's

my tires rub pretty good on the back though when they stuff up into the wheel wells, the axle is definitely moved towards the front on the wheel well as you can see if the pic below

i also do about the same type of driving as you. in the city i have no problems at all and offroad they do rub some but not terribly, doesn't bother me much but ill see if i can remedy it eventually. love the duratracs so far though they are an awesome tire

IMG-20141026-00631_zps757eac74_ee32eed3123697b23184375e334dff0ef817065d.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top