1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My towing plan........

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kenaiking, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Nov 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    kenaiking

kenaiking [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    Hey guys I am moving from Montana to Alaska in the spring. The trip is 2500 miles and we have 9 days to do it in. Once we make it to AK we plan to sell the trailer and not tow anything large with the tacoma again.We are selling pretty much every thing we own and taking just out tacoma and a trailer.

The trailer we have is a 16x7 double axle v noised inclosed trailer. It weighs right at 2000 pounds. We plan to load 3000 pounds of household stuff we just can’t live without.

Ok so here is my plan.

My tacoma is a 2012 TRD auto with the factory tow package. I have a weight distribution hitch and P3 brake controller. I will monitoring engine/ transmission temps with the torque app. We will take our time, not use overdrive and shoot for 500miles a day.

What I am not sure about is the following.

Tires? Should I upgrade to a d or e rated tire?

Suspension? I was thinking of having a custom set of leafs done and new shocks all around.

Gas milage 8-10 MPG???

Brakes??

Am I pushing this truck too hard??

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Nov 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    gordi

gordi Only had a wheel fall off once

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    Fox 2.5 extended travel, dakars, rear 5125 255/80/17 cooper maxx ST
    air bags... in the rear

3. Nov 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    I was thinking a good set of progressive leafs over air bags. Would bags be better?

4. Nov 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    gordi

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    yes bags r better. also ur trailer have brakes? truck is rated at 6500 pounds pulling power so ur fine. with the bags and HD hitch. idk about tires. You will know its there but you just gotta be safe and drive a bit under the speed limit. alcan highway?

5. Nov 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    For this particular task, almost certainly. Unless you also plan to haul a bunch of weight in the bed independent of towing, the progressives will probably have more utility other than carrying heavy shit.

6. Nov 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    Thanks guys I will add air bags to the list. I think I will still do the leafs as well. I have a topper and do haul our camping stuff for 2 adults and 2 kids (ARB Fridge, Water, extra fuel and gear) on a regular basis.

7. Nov 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
  8. Nov 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    gordi

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    yes those are fine. idk anything about tires though. never had a flat before>?

9. Nov 12, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    white cloud

white cloud white cloud

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    i know this is probably obvious but i would make sure the maintenance was up to date especially cooling and the transmission. i have towed about that much up steep hills in the summer without over heating with my tacoma.

10. Nov 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    Yup will change out all the fluids before I leave. Running synthetic in everything but the transmission right now.

11. Nov 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Spokinawa, WA
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    What is the mileage on the Taco, may be better to leave the tranny alone until you are done requiring its service. Gearcruncher knows much more about the glorious world of the 4.0 sealed tranny but I'm not sure I would service something that is designed to at least go 60,000mi before service right before I require it for a huge task. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is over 60,000 by a lot, it could be good to take it to Toyota (can't stress that enough), apparently many places don't understand the fickle nature of this sealed tranny.... and for god's sake don't have it flushed, just a drain and fill.

12. Nov 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    5,000# 8 to 10 is about right. You most likely don't have enough miles on it to worry about the trans. With trailer brakes you'll have enough braking just leave a good bit of space it will not stop nearly as well even with trailer brakes.

13. Nov 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    ttubb

ttubb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Tucson/Crested Butte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD
    I have the same truck and tow a 5000# Airstream thru Az and Colorado regularly. I have the Firestone 2407s which were easy to install. With an equalizer hitch, I only have to run about 15psi in the air bags. They work great. I have attached the installation guide and pics.
    Click to enlarge and BTW at about 60-65 mph I get about 12mpg. I would suggest an ScanGuage to monitor tranny temps and use I premium fuel when towing just to give the engine a bit more knock protection. Good luck! BTW, stock tires should be fine.

Firestone Air Ride 1.jpg
    Firestone Air Ride 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    Thanks guys I have just over 20K so I will leave the transmission until after I tow up the trailer.

So I have been thinking about just going with a full OME suspension upgrade. Any thoughts? I know it will handle the load better and I would get more use out of it when I get to AK.

15. Nov 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    I would just add the bags. The OME leaf packs are great, but they are not necessary for your road trip. Besides you most likely have a ton of other things to deal with at the moment.

I tow a 4000# trailer with no suspension upgrades. I do use a weight distribution hitch. I don't have any problems handling the weight.

16. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Hmmm..

I've done that drive twice (late Dec. 2011/Jan. 2012, Nov. 2012)...

Never towed a trailer, don't think that my truck would've handled it very well being a 4 cylinder.

What are you running for tires? There's probably going to be snow on the roadway, depending on when exactly you're planning on leaving in the Spring, (which is going to be one of the worst times for road conditions, after the winter breakup).

Do you have chains? That time of year is somewhat of a purgatory; the snow will melt during the day and freeze again overnight.

9 days should be plenty of time - just don't push it. Hopefully gas will be a little cheaper, with the prices plunging in the lower 48.. They were excruciatingly high in the Yukon ($4.75/liter).

Dunno if you're planning on hotels or camping, but they're incredibly expensive on the Yukon portion as well. Stay in "A Nice Motel" in Watson Lake (looks like a dump, but it's really nice inside).

Hit Fast Eddy's Pizza/Hotel just over the border crossing in Tok.

I'd seriously consider selling the trailer down here, and making other arrangements to transport your stuff. Dunno where you're at right now, but Samson Tug and Barge is a viable alternative, as well as Tote Lines/Coasal Transportation. Not being a prick - but I'd seriously look at the cost/benefit of increased fuel consumption and stress.

I'd pack at least one spare tire for your trailer. Passed two or three that had been left until the Summer.

Fuel - don't have to go crazy; but I'd pack at least 5 Gallons. If it gets to the point when you need to use your emergency reserve, it's not so much to get to the next station, it's to keep the truck running overnight..

Comms - cell is just about useless North of Dawson Creek. Really useless if you don't have the Canadian plan.

What's your itinerary?

I'll post up write ups of the two trips I made.

Most of all, take your time. Enjoy the trip!

Happy holidays,

Jake

17. Dec 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    Thanks I have also driven it twice before as well but both times in the fall. We are leaving in late May so snow should not be problem. I called every moving company option available including barge lines and the cheapest options for my stuff (which isn’t very much) was 10k. Upper prices were 22k. I can sell the trailer once I get to AK for more than I bought it for down here. So I get to make up a bit of fuel cost there.

I lived in Anchorage/Fairbanks for 25 years so I am not going in blind :)

I just bought new 10 ply hankooks and have 2 spares on my trailer. As well as new radial tires on my trailer. I will be carrying 5 gal of extra gas (possibly 10). Still thinking of communications. I was thinking of doing a CB any how and I have a PLB for emergencies that will be in the glove box. I have thought about renting or buying a sat phone as it will be useful in AK as well.

Will do fast eddies for sure. Kids will be ready for a restaurant by then :)

18. Dec 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Roger roger!

Didn't mean to come across as arrogant; should've guessed with a user name like KenaiKing, you've been up there before!

Great idea with the PLB, I've got one that I leave in the truck and another one on the boat that I run (keep it in my survival suit).

Yeah, the freight situation kind of sucks in and out of Alaska. I moved from Kodiak in 2012, and packed a crate to throw on one of Samson's barges. Got to the pickup terminal in Seattle, and the rate ended up being triple what I was quoted, and they claimed the box weighed 4 times as much as what it did.

Comms.. I think HAM radio would be a little more useful on the drive. If I remember correctly, the Canadian truckers are all on the VHF band. You could score a nice 2 Meter mobile radio for around $100 or so. Might be fun for the kids to check into repeaters along the way.

Where are you moving to?

19. Dec 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    kenaiking

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road
    No worries I never took it that way. If it was my first time I would for sure want that kind of info.

I will have to look into the HAM that would be cool. Coming down it was only 7k for a full service move. The prices going up are ridiculous.

We are moving back up to Anchorage.

20. Jan 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.

Agree with the Firestone Airbags. They work well for my ’04 DC. I run a scan gauge II to monitor auto transtemps. About 15 psi gives me about aninch of lift in the rear.

photo (44).jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top