1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Considered Solar?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by transplant, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Nov 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    transplant

transplant [OP] resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-kits-modules

im considering installing a single 100W on the roof of the cab for those extended trips to keep the battery topped off.

Id like to use it in conjunction with a dual battery set up once i have the time and wherewithall to put something neat and efficient together... but for now just for peace of mind while using the ARB 50Q fridge im planning for.

thoughts or relevant experience?

2. Nov 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think Crom has a panel on his truck

3. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    3 inch lift with Toytec Boss and All Pro UCA's up front. AP expedition leafs with Bilstien 5100 shocks in the back. 255/85/16 Cooper S/T Max tires. All Pro skids, rear bumper and sliders, Hidden winch mount with XRC 8000 winch. Dual Optima batteries with IBS combiner/isolator and solar. CMC. Auto sliding rear window mod, hidden CB, CVJ axles and plenty of other little mods.
    I've done this for years. I have dual Optimas with an IBS system plus the ability to connect a panel to the accessory battery.
    I chose a 26 watt Brunton Solaris panel because it folds into a compact 8x10 pack when not in use, and you can add additional panels for more power.
    Be sure to use a charge controller so you don't overcharge the battery.
    I don't use it to run a lot of accessories, but I've been able to run my Engle freezer on "freeze" for 4 days without starting the engine.
    Works for me.

4. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
  5. Nov 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    the system my old man suggested would come with a controller.

i imagine gluing that 100W panel to the roof and mounting their controller just below the rear sliding window.

my hope was to be able to support a fridge for a few days, before getting into dual battery set ups

thanks!

6. Nov 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    abarber11

abarber11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Just installed a removable 50w panel with solar controller in my truck this weekend. Its about 22"x22" and I have it rigged up so that I can remove it to drive or when I am not camping. When I camp Ill hook it up for some battery charging during the day. I also bought an additional 20' of solar cable so that I can hook up the panel within about 12-15' of the truck in case Im parked in the shade.

Ive had it hooked up for an hour today and it charged both of my batteries from 12.4 to 12.6. I can see it being really handy on longer weekends where Ive usually discharged my house battery lower than Id prefer. 8-12 hours of sunlight should keep me topped off for what I use (LEDs, fan, radio, compressor and sometimes inverter). I'm hoping it extends the life of my batteries as well.

I went with the Renogy flexible 50w panel and Renogy PWM10CC 10A controller. The company was a pleasure to work with so far.

Edit: Im at 13.0v on both batteries after about 2 hours in full sun

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  8. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    just what i was looking to hear. not a bad idea being able to move the panel.. i may end up with a secondary that is mobile, hooking up a quick disconnect split wont be difficult at all. i try to park in the shade when i can, since the tent is mounted on the bed.

what do you use for the cabling and connector? the mc4's dont seem so great for repeated disconnecting/connecting

9. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    abarber11

abarber11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Right now I'm using the mc4s and the renogy solar cable. I'm not sure about the repeated connecting and disconnecting but I think the connectors are cheap enough and easy enough to replace, if necessary. I didn't think permanent mounting was a good option for me. I don't need it on all the time and I would think they'd need to be cleaned a lot to maintain good efficiency.

10. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    At least make a lesser bad decision and use velcro strips. So that when you realize you have made a bad decision around the 4th panel you have destroyed you can remove the velcro adhesive and pretend it never happened.

That is until you are brought up on the majority of threads as, that guy :gossip:
    :)

11. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    My uncle's company is working on solar paint. They already have solar shingles, so the idea is you could turn your entire house into a solar panel. Car paint would be a possibility too.

12. Nov 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I guess I don't see the point of it, does the alternator not work good enough? I can see one being useful on a camper for sure, but not a truck. When your truck is running, it stays plenty charged, shouldn't need any help.

13. Nov 16, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
  14. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Idaholandho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    wut? So gluing solar panels on the hood of any vehicle is a good decision? gluing? There is much wrong with that. At least use lag bolts.

I have much faith in the abilities of many here on TW btw.

Oh, you are correct. my truck is just one bad decision. Not sure what I was thinking.

15. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
  16. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    Idaholandho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looks like a good affordable set up Jerry.
    I'm thinking maybe you could build a solar panel base on a swivel for sun tracking that could be set up outside the truck/rv in camp. Or potentially on a roof/bed rack?
    I would assume that you could incorporate an option for an auto tracker as well?

17. Nov 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I didn't even think of a auto tracker I was trying to figure out where I would but them on the trailer and I think I have the answer now!

Yeah I'm still shopping all the kits I've seen don't offer the controller I want. The kits ive seen with the better controller have way more panels then I want. don't really have a high AC demand I'd just like to have it if needed. all of my family run the EU2000I in thier big trailers it's nice I'm just not wanting to have a generator for this small of a set up.

18. Nov 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Just out of curiosity, what in his sig makes you say he made bad decisions?

Looks like a pretty nice truck to me.

:popcorn:

19. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Yup.

Pass around that the popcorn Rob. :)

20. Nov 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    really? the heat of the engine and the flex of the body up front concerns me more than just solar heat on top of the cab. why do you think its better on the hood?

if im taking extended trips for more than just a weekend (which i plan to do), the truck wont be running often, if at all for a few days. a 2A fridge will drain a battery enough to be a problem in that time and id rather not have to worry about turning the truck on for 15 minutes a day, every day.

the jump pack is a great idea and an even better investment. you never know when youll really need something like that.

these flexible panels are regularly affixed to RV's who would see just as much aerodynamic disturbance as the roof of my cab. coming un-glued is a potential hazard, but im sure someone thought that through before mass marketing gluing panels to anything. being that its not exactly a brand new idea, i have faith that its been thoroughly tested. i have seen a total of zero reviews complaining of weak adhesive or loss of panels due to airflow... in fact, this particular company markets specifically to RV's and truck owners like myself.

your mention of possible panel failure is valid, however, my experience with home solar has been VERY positive. from what i understand, mono panels are very reliable, and remain so even with a few dead cells... its been said they are more efficient than their poly-crystalline brothers.. but a little light reading tells me this is more or less negligible.

i would certainly inquire about removal for replacement or repair though, thats a great point.

To Top