1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FRAME RECALLED!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by amandaxmarie, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    amandaxmarie

amandaxmarie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    amanda
    new york
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Ink Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Soooo yesterday I dropped my truck off at toyota to have some recalls taken care of and the service advisor calls me the next day saying that my truck is no where near safe to drive, they can't release it off their lot, and that they have to replace the entire frame of my truck! I knew this wasn't a so called "uncommon" issue with tacos but I never actually thought I would have to go through this process myself. And to make matters worse he goes on to tells me it's going to take between 2 and 3 months. Although toyota is covering me to be in a rental car for the amount of time it take them to do this.. it is just my luck that in New York State you have to be 25 years old to drive a rental and I'm only 22 go figure! Needless to say I'm driving my moms new jeep grand Cherokee around while she is driving a shitty Nissan Altima rental lol. Has anyone else had this frame issue before?? I also heard that they used to have a buy back program for people with this problem. Anyone have any info if they still help out if you'd rather trade out of the truck or wtf they do !? Thanksssss

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Have the dealer get a rental from a neighboring state. Your states out east are about the size of our larger counties, so you shouldn't have to go to far.
    BTW that is one of the more stupider laws I have ever heard of:facepalm:

4. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I'm 22 in MA and had a Frontier rental for a week when my last vehicle was totaled...that was no issue. Don't know how they treat out-of-state licenses here, but how close are you to the MA border? Maybe worth a shot...

5. Nov 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    Here's a link to one of my posts on the buyback on my 99. The newer recall may not be as good in terms of what they will give you , but the one on mine the buyback stated they would give 1.5 x KBB SRP. You NEVER get SRP on a used truck and 1.5 times that worked out great (~$10K for a 99 in 2014 Single Cab PreRunner 4 cylinder!). The bad thing in your situation, sort of like mine, where you take it in and they won't let you drive it off, whatever is installed on there, stays. I had just put new tires on mine and would have replaced them with junk if I knew the buyback was going to happen. By the way, the dealership put me in a 2014 TRD Sport DC at no charge until the deal was done and I bought my truck. Mine didn't take long, a month or so, but it was at the tail end of the first frame warranty buyback program.

6. Nov 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Yeah as long as the Tards put it all back together correctly.

7. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Good luck with that....I can see it now....truck will be doomed with repeating issues. Fingers crossed!

8. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Sell it while you can!!!!

Just kidding :)

Many people have gotten their frames replaced and have been very happy with the end results :thumbsup:

9. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Better than not getting a new frame

10. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    One pf my relatives had his replaced and he said they replaced everything, brake lines, fuel lines, suspension parts and everything. He said that pretty much the body, motor, and tranny was all that was left that was original.

11. Nov 15, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    what year is your truck ???

12. Nov 15, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    Striper12

Striper12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Rehoboth, MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma std.
    I just had the frame on my 2006 Tacoma replaced and had the same issue- took it in for a slave cylinder replacement and they wouldn't let me drive it off the lot.. They gave me a new car as a loaner but I needed a truck so I bought a used one at a good price and all the repairs on my original were done for free as part of the deal. All the lines were replaced but none of the parts unless they were part of the frame.
    As far as the law in New York- get the dealer to list the car as a loaner rather than a rental and you should be good to drive it- just get it in writing so if you get stopped you'll have some proof on your side that you are legal.
    The same dealer that did the repair has offered to buy back my truck to supplement his used truck inventory but we can not settle on a price yet, and I don't really want to sell just yet- having 2 vehicles is nice when you live out in the sticks like I do. Ron

13. Nov 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Framerust

Framerust New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    So I got the "Limited Service Campaign" letter from Toyota last week and decided to inspect my Tacoma myself. Sure and behold 2 holes in my frame and it was deemed unsafe to drive. I dropped off my Tacoma and asked one of the techs in the back of the shop roughly how long it would take. He said he ordered a frame for one 4 months ago and still has not received it. I Then talked to my service adviser and he said once Toyota corporate gives the ok he will get the frame in 4-6 days and I should have the truck back in 2 weeks????? I then took it upon my self to go to the parts department in the same dealership and was told I would be lucky to get it in 2-4 months. I called about 20 dealerships around my area and they all said the same. After numerous searches on line I found out the there is a class action lawsuit about this very problem. I called Toyota corporate and the corporate service manager agreed that they have a problem and that there is no buy back program and to call there legal department and file a complaint. So in conclusion Toyota is going to put a $14,000 frame into a truck that is worth $15,000 and have me in a rental for 2-4 months and when I get my truck back I cannot trade it in because it has been flagged as a rust bucket. I AM DISGUSTED and going to take the advice of the Corporate service adviser.

rust 1.jpg

14. Nov 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    Ask for cash instead of a frame and part out your trick :D

15. Nov 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    But it costs you 14k not toyota.

16. Nov 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    MinookaBlues

MinookaBlues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Super White SR5 Access Cab
    Stock
    "So in conclusion Toyota is going to put a $14,000 frame into a truck that is worth $15,000 and have me in a rental for 2-4 months and when I get my truck back I cannot trade it in because it has been flagged as a rust bucket. I AM DISGUSTED and going to take the advice of the Corporate service adviser"

When they replace the frame you can't trade it in??? I don't think I've heard this before. I would think with a brand new frame the truck would be much easier to sell or trade in?

george101 likes this.
  17. Nov 15, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Is that by the drivers side inside of the boxed section?? That looks horrible.

I was under my truck the other day - looking around. Overall - I think my frame is pretty good. Although, there's one spot on the inside of the frame on drivers side - it looks like moisture has been 'spraying' down on the frame.
    I'm not sure where the water is coming from - perhaps its condensation (exhaust is right there).

The spot is only about 6" wide ...no holes. But......if I press on it, it feels pretty thin. I doubt this would fail - but still - its concerning. I'm sad.... my baby isn't new anymore. :(

18. Nov 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    LennyTheLip

LennyTheLip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Branch, NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCSB
    Tint and tonneau for now
    Just an FYI for you guys that are in rentals. Refuse to drive in a car, or anything less than an equivalent to your truck. My wife's CX-7 was hit twice. Both times we got a comparable SUV. First a CX-9, then a Santa Fe. Most dealers go thru Enterprise, they will work with you. I know that the insurance companies I dealt with had to put me in a comparable vehicle. They won't tell you that, but if you make it an issue, you'll get a truck or a big SUV.

Products Discussed in

To Top