1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 Prerunner: Ass End Too Low, Solutions?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CleanSC, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Nov 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    CleanSC

CleanSC [OP] ASE Certified Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '02 Reg Cab PreRunner 2.7
    Fellas!

I have an '02 Prerunner regular cab. It came with a spacer lift up front, and as far as I can tell, nothing in the rear. So they had leveled it some years ago I can only assume.

Now, the rear is a tad sagged and it's about 1" lower than the front. Hauling makes it much worse and I'd like to correct it.

Truck usage: Basically a Home Depot crawler and commuting to work. I don't wheel or anything like that. I just put P series rubber (formerly LT) on it and the ride improved a lot. No need to lift it any more than it is. I just want it level.

Before I align it, I want to sort the rear.

Seeing as I don't do anything dramatic in this truck, new leaf springs while awesome seems like overkill is always the preferred option. But let's be real here, that's a lot of money for a pavement pounder at stockish height.

Other options are a 1" block, or what I'm leaning toward, a 1" lift shackle. Better than a block, about the same cost, and much easier to install than blocks.

Then there's aal but I think that's way off for what I need. No need for heavy hauling or a shitty ride as I commute in this everyday.

See links for pictures of the truck's profile, and each leaf spring.

How bad are they? Bad enough to warrant new springs for my use? Can I just slap some shackles in there to get it back level?

The front I rather not touch. The ride isn't that bad and it would cost some money to take those spacers out as I'd have to buy new strut tops and such. Not interested in taking the front apart at all. It's fine how it is. Rear shocks I can do if required for the 1" of lift. (Is it?)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/js9kpi5ki4l3iaj/2014-11-17 17.29.12.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr5bq4zxkgvs73l/2014-11-17 17.29.29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c6guk0fx9y017l/2014-11-17 17.30.35.jpg?dl=0

Thanks, fellas. Any pointers here are appreciated.

2. Nov 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Anyone got any suggestions before I get some shackles under there?

Thinking Daystar 1.25" greasables.

Any other ideas or input would be appreciated. :D

Thanks all!

3. Nov 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    I would go shackles. You gave the pros and cons of each and it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what each does.

4. Nov 19, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, sir.

I'll go with these and see how it goes. Will bring a blowtorch just in case. :D

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Okay got the lift done. I went with the Daystar 1.25" shackles.

Some notes for future generations:

1. Steel sleeves in spring eyes have to come out. This is the biggest deal here and without the right tools, forget it. I had to use a grinder, recip saw, and air chisel to remove them.

2. Bushings in spring eyes also need either to be burned out or pressed out. I pressed em out nice and easy with a ball joint press. less than a minute if you can borrow one of those.

3. Tail pipe hanger extension. The kit includes this. If your leaf springs are weak, it won't work. The extension assumes your springs are good and therefore higher. Weak springs are sagging (which includes all of us unless you replaced already) and lower and lay right on your tail pipe. I had to cut my tail pipe off. You have the option of cutting it off, and taking it to a muffler shop and having them weld in a 3" or so extension on the down turning section to effectively lower the tail pipe enough to clear. I may do this later, depending on how much it bothers me to not have a visible tail pipe. So far it doesn't.

4. The shackles had to be spread open. They don't fit over the installed bushings when in the frame mount or spring eye. Both ends, on both sides. Vice and sledge required for this.

5. Come along or ratcthet strap required for pulling springs laterally back into position for final assembly. This is not easy.

6. Shocks have to be disconnected to allow enough down travel of the axle. WATCH THE BRAKE LINE on your way down. I unbolted the keeper bracket to be safe and allow extra travel.

7. Hydraulic vehicle lift helps a lot. Standard floor jack under diff for axle positioning. If no lift, then jack stands under frame.

8. Remove spare tire before you start. Increases room.

Thoughts:

Now it looks great. Ride is great. The steel sleeve thing SUCKS. And now I can't go back to stock shackles without having to buy a bushing set for the stocks. I wish the bushings were sized for the sleeves and be done with it. But they feel they have to come out I suppose it's for the best.

Exhaust thing sucks too. Daystar needs to put an application note somewhere about this. Anyone with old stock springs (most people buying this kit) will not allow use of their extension.

So far overall happy with some complaints only on installation.

Before and after pics:

before.jpg

after.jpg

6. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    Soflanick

Soflanick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma prerunner
    5100 front, 5125 rear, 2"all, old ARE topper, 16x8 XD enduro's on 265/75r16 KO2's
    so it would've been easier to do the aal? that sounded like a pita to install yourself

7. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Soflanick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma prerunner
    5100 front, 5125 rear, 2"all, old ARE topper, 16x8 XD enduro's on 265/75r16 KO2's
    also whats your wheel/ tire spec, truck looks good....

8. Jul 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    CleanSC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    I'd do it again before an AAL. I have found an easier way to install these. If you leave the springs loaded with a bottle jack and the weight of the truck resting on them, it cuts the work in half. Basically install the bottle jack in between the springs and the frame to take the weight off the shackles, then remove and replace them. MUCH easier. No need for disconnecting shocks, brake lines, or trying to wrangle the leaf springs back into position.

As for the bushings, perhaps another brand of shackles works with the stock bushings and you'd be fine there, too.

Tires are 275/70-16's. 1" spacer up front and the 1.25" shackle in rear. Been great ever since and I would do it again if needed.

9. Jul 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    Soflanick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma prerunner
    ah thanks, I've got pretty much the same truck, looking to do 5100s with a 2" lift in the rear.

I've got some 16x8s with 4.5"bs to go on also, same size tire...

Products Discussed in

To Top