1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Attic light install

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by 302, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Sep 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Looks good.

Maybe add a light switch next to the attic access.

2. Sep 30, 2014 at 12:28 AM

302 [OP] I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Is it possible for an amateur, I mean rookie to rig a light switch to the attic light? I guess I would need more romex and a switch, but I can't wrap my mind around how I would connect it. :(

3. Sep 30, 2014 at 12:38 AM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I don't think that you need a switch since the sockets you got have the pull strings

4. Sep 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    Executive

Executive Conservative

Member:
    Peabody, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Looks like you are connecting into a smoke alarm circuit or a portion of a three way switching circuit or a multi-wire branch circuit or a 240 volt circuit for an air conditioner or a... You get the idea.

The assembly you are putting together, particularly the box to mount the light, is wrong. That box is made for outdoor installations. Also, you have not used a proper connector to secure your Romex wire to that box. I'm afraid that you might have issues with this install later in.

You really need to get a professional to supervise this installation. Lots of things could go badly here. If that's not in the budget how about going to your local trade or vocational school and taking a homeowner wiring class. You will learn the basics, be much safer, and have the knowledge to tackle more advanced projects later on. These classes are typically inexpensive, the class at the school where I teach electrical shop costs about $50.

Please consider my advice. You are far enough off base with this install to raise a caution flag to me and I rarely comment in this type of post. Be careful!

Chris

5. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM

302 [OP] I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Well I appreciate your concerns Chris, and will take them seriously. I need to install two exterior lights on either end of the house at the peak of the roof, so I guess I'll use the metal boxes for those installs, and go back to the drawing board for the attic lights.

I have an engineer at work that I will have stop by and give me a hand on this project.

Thank you,

6. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    floodedkiwi

floodedkiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Naw'lins, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC AT4
    Dog.
    Get yourself a multi-meter, Fluke is my preference and you will never regret this purchase. Always check for power and then you have a great starting point for all your electrical needs...

7. Nov 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    You should really have a Romex connector at the box opening, that's code anywhere you live.

Also you have to strip the outer sheathing from the wires that are in the box, you can't leave it like that... I'm not busting balls here, just saying ;)

8. Nov 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...

I know you read this post, because you mentioned that you hadn't bought a multimeter. Go back and read it again and take the advice given in that post. This guy knows his stuff. Once home with the test kit, learn those three tools in the kit from the included instructions, and read the appropriate sections of the basic electrical book also advised in this post. Being a home owner, you are off to a good start as a DIYer, and this small project will get you started on electrical installations the right way. As for the supplies you bought, when you're at HD again, ask for help in selecting your parts. Those clerks are knowledgable in their own departments.

Products Discussed in

To Top