1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nov 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    TinyTech626

TinyTech626 reverses st. signs & steals everyone's left shoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Liz
    Bucks Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD AmoCat
    Stuff. Things.
    Just got the phone call, they're keeping my truck. And are attempting to find me a replacement truck until I can get mine back. This effing blows.

2. Nov 21, 2014 at 4:16 AM
    mad dog

mad dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    laurel springs nj
    Vehicle:
    blk
    does anyone have any connections with 60 minutes maybe something can be done like that,that way everone knows,and they will pay.

3. Nov 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    Sherpa

Sherpa Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Livonia, MI
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad
    Continental Cap, Yak basket, bull bar, Toytec Ultimate lift & BFG T/A KO's
    Dealer has not contacted me since we took the truck home 4 days ago. My wife thinks they are working on a deal for us! Ha ha, we will see on Monday when we contact them. (Since they blew me off again) I "signed off" that I was taking it off the lot. We cannot give up my truck for all winter and pay them out of pocket for this inconvenience.

Check out their ALL CAPS statement. Its not illegal to drive and they didn't really hold it hostage. What they did is ask me to pay whatever they want or waive their liability. I just don't like being manipulated by them. It sucks but us consumers don't really have any rights on this recall.

Yes, it is a recall - says it right here on the paperwork . Recall E0D [​IMG]

Next - check out this nice list of items they would like to ADD ON to my bill in 90 days. It doesn't even include the stuff they will break during the job. Really guys...my battery has corrosion? How is it going to work next March?! [​IMG]

And then there is this. Not responsible for damage, theft or FREEZING? Its Michigan and its already freezing!! All of these things are likely - so why wouldn't I sign that waiver?!? [​IMG]

I will take my chances driving this deathtrap until I can trade it in next year. Sorry guys but I am loosing all faith in my favorite brand of truck.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. Nov 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'm just waiting to hear from the dealership that my frame is in still.

5. Nov 23, 2014 at 3:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    #1 - at least you were able to (and/or have the option) to drive the truck off the lot. I was under the impression that they wouldn't allow it.
    #2 - They gave you a list of repairs that you could ACCEPT or DENY (typical of a dealership to have 'add-ons'). Again, I was under the impression that people weren't given these options/lists. And perhaps, maybe some dealerships are just charging people without asking (which is wrong IMO)

The other question is - when they're working on the truck and they find more items that need repaired (or they damage something) are they adding more charges and expecting consumers to pay it?

This is a great discussion and great information for folks to learn a bit more about what could happen. I don't expect my frame to be bad enough for replacement (I saw one soft spot but no holes). But...whatever they end up doing, I'll make sure I ask them EXACTLY what will happen and make sure I don't have any surprises (charges).

6. Nov 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    TinyTech626

Member:
    First Name:
    Liz
    Bucks Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD AmoCat
    Stuff. Things.
    Does any one have that link for the vin number look up for re-calls? I've scanned through the threads and can't find it. Co-worker of mine just bought a 2015 tacoma and is worried about his being affected.

7. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's a Toyota website.

Search google ... "Toyota Recall"

Its' the first link at the top of the page.

8. Nov 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    TinyTech626

Member:
    First Name:
    Liz
    Bucks Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD AmoCat
    Stuff. Things.
    Thank you

9. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    myrustytaco

myrustytaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    Debadged 18" wheels
    Sherpa did you take your truck to the dealership in Canton? Pulled mine from there a couple months ago, for undisclosed cost reasons also. Toyota care was no help, I've lost all faith in them and this is my last Toyota due to my experience on this issue.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  10. Nov 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    Sky65

Sky65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is not a Recall. It says "Limited Service Campaign E0D". Not "Recall E0D". As far as the repair order, all standard stuff. The software most dealers use prints in caps the resolution or recommendations. There was no intent to accentuate the statements. That's just the way it prints. Add Ons are simply recommendations or suggested repairs. People are pissed when the dealer recommends work and pissed when they don't inspect their vehicle. For free of course. The disclosure at the bottom of the repair order si to cover them for liability. In this law suit happy country where people always want to hang someone else and not take personal responsibility, can you blame them?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. Nov 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
  12. Nov 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    interesting they let you take your truck. I have asked my dealership several times and they say I cannot. they did upgrade my rental from a 2012 prius to a fully loaded 2014 awd rav4 (which is awesome, by the way), so i'm not too upset any more. truck has been sitting on the dealer lot for 6 weeks. this is very frustrating.

13. Nov 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    Sherpa

Sherpa Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Livonia, MI
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad
    Continental Cap, Yak basket, bull bar, Toytec Ultimate lift & BFG T/A KO's
    I Called the dealer (Yes, Victory Toyota in Canton) today since they never called me back.
    They told me that TMS has directed them that no additional assistance is allowed on this issue. End of story - TMS directs all dealers actions.

TMS basically told me that because of the condition where I live (salt on roads) that they are not responsible for this problem. They are replacing the frame, take it or leave it. They are fully protected legally due to the language of their LSC and in reality the consumer has no rights to fight with.

These are my options.
    #1 let them have my truck for 90 days and pay them whatever they say to replace the frame. I get it, but I don't have to go back there.

#2 trade it in with a failed recall at take whatever they say it is worth now as trade, then buy a new truck. Might be at Toyota...might not, but it will cost me $30k for anything out there, maybe more....and I don't want a new truck - I want this one.

#3 have a local guy do a temp repair if needed and drive it all winter, deciding on options 1 or 2 later next year. That is my best bet today. I will definitely shop around for a dealer who will work with me and never go back to Victory Toyota of Canton.

Leaving my truck this spring or summer might not be as tough as leaving it outside on their lot all winter long. Just wish I waited to have the recall checked until I was ready to "surrender the vehicle" to them.

I posted here, not to rant (which I kind of did), but to hopefully help other Taco folks know of what my experience was. This forum has been great in helping me choose a lift kit and tires. Good information here and I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks, no hard feelings, but I am not the first person who feels this way and I'm sure there will be many behind me.

RUST IN PEACE, SILVER SHERPA

If anyone knows how much this repair costs on average -please post here to give us an idea. My dealer wants $2000 (open ended). Should they be allowed to charge me more for having a lift kit, brush guard, and topper?!! I will remove those items if it saves me $500.

14. Nov 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    In my situation they did a very thorough job making sure they did the exact work needed. I walked around the truck with a manager where he noted scratches, dents, check engine lights, etc. Before they work on the truck they pull any codes and note them. They gave me the option to repair or transfer the components as is. Before they take the truck you sign a contract, if they add any expenses without notifying you, they breach that contract. I don't see them doing extra work anyway.

15. Nov 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    @Sherpa

Check out a new dealer, it's a free swap. Those guys are tryingn to nickel and dime you. I just got my truck back from the swap, and can't be any happier. The dealer should order the frame then call you when it's ready for the swap. That way you can keep the truck. It took the frame 90 days to deliver, but only 3 days to swap over. My frame was a lot worse than yours and toyota let me drive away after I failed the frame inspection, so them trying to hold it might be miscommunication on their end. I had 5100's set to level in the front and had them install new 5100's in the back. I wasn't charged anything extra.

16. Nov 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    pitcrew

pitcrew Member

Member:
    Just received a letter last week for the frame rust here in PA. Took my truck in today and am getting the frame replaced. Mine had visible scale but I was worried without holes that they would just coat it and send me on my way. Not the case. They must have tapped it a few times with a punch and found (made) some holes.

Mine was bubbled but did not have a hole near the driver's side cat that others are reporting. My holes or weak spots were actually on the bottom of the frame right in front of the front exhaust hangers.

No fight. No shady sales tactics. They also let me leave with my truck and will schedule replacement once frames are in stock. Very satisfied with the way they handled mine so far.

17. Nov 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    SierraMare

SierraMare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD OffRoad Xtracab, stepside bed, 2.7 L, 5-speed manual
    ARE cap, BFG KO2 (LT 245/75R16), Front Bilstein 5100 with OME 2881 coils, Rear HS 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    I have the notice to bring my 2006 in for an inspection and plan to do so in January of 2015. I'm curious - if they deem it needing a frame replacement, what will happen with my welded on rock sliders (4x Innovations). I don't want to lose them! Anyone have a similar situation, a frame replacement with welded on sliders - what happened to them?

18. Nov 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    If you can, you might want to cut those off before your inspection. I can see the dealership using that as an excuse not to service the frame.

19. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Sky65

Sky65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Sherpa. I kinda hit you a little hard on my last post. Nothing personal. Just trying to clarify some of what you were stating. I still stand by my statements. That said I went back and re-read some of your other posts. My opinion, for what 's worth, is you have valid issues. I do believe they can charge you for removing and reinstalling aftermarket accessories such as your brush guard and topper. However I do not believe the dealer can charge you for completing the service campaign. My notice came today. It clearly states "...confirms that your vehicle's frame has significant rust perforation the dealer will will provide an appropriate remedy at no charge to you". I would certainly take issue with any charges, for parts or labor, that are required to complete the "appropriate remedy" as listed in the campaign letter. If they have condemned the frame, fame replacement is Toyota corporate's "appropriate remedy". I think your issue is with the dealer and not Toyota corporate. I would remove the brush bar and topper myself and take it back with those items removed when the frame come in assuming they ordered one for you. I would also not authorize any additional work. If the dealer has not ordered a frame for you I would check with another dealer and see what they would do for you. My understanding this is a $13000 repair. I would think every dealer would want that money.
    JMHO

Tom

20. Nov 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    BTR

BTR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    I would have LOVED a prius as a rental, I got stuck with a Camry

Products Discussed in

To Top