1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I pass smog with the 70mm Throttle Body?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Suave, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nov 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    Taco Suave

Taco Suave [OP] Taco Fever

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    Hey Just wondering If anyone knows if i will still be able to pass smog if I install a 70mm Throttle Body on my NA 4.0. Also if it will void the warranty. Ill probably keep my old one so I can put it back on if anything does happen so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks:D

2. Nov 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Yeah you'll pass smog. Why would you be installing the 70mm throttle body anyway? You won't gain but 2 horse maybe on a NA motor.

3. Nov 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM
    Taco Suave

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    Ive heard a lot of different stuff on whether or not ill actually gain anything or what little I will gain, but every thread seems consistent in the fact that if you have other small performance mods: intake, spacers, etc.. combined together, the benefits can add up to something significant.

4. Nov 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    If you live in California, which it appears you do and it appears to be stock and nothing fancy, well yes. If it is visually outstanding in the inspection, then no, you will not pass.

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    Taco Suave

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    Awesome thanks!

6. Nov 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    With what you listed... FALSE. If you have intake/headers/complete exhaust you can enjoy upwards of 30hp gains at peak RPM. The problem with that is that you will lose some power in the lower part of the RPM band. Unless you are winding it out all the time the "supporting mods" really aren't that worth it IMO. Spacer will get you nothing ever, throttle body will get you only a few horse when boosted, less when NA.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    Taco Suave

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    Clearly you didn't read my post. Let me repeat: spacer, intake, ETC... << that means things not included in the list. And do some research before you jump into the "snake oil" gang because there are benefits even if they aren't significant alone.

8. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    chill man, no need to jump down the guys throat. He's trying to help. jeez :rolleyes:

9. Nov 25, 2014 at 10:03 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Okay. You will pass smog.

Advice Below... Ignore if you want

I'm not going to argue with you, because it CLEARLY sounds like you know, or at least think you do based on threads you have read on TW (which we all know are 100% accurate). :rolleyes: I'm just saying that I have been down that road as have many others... With the exact same type of vehicle you are asking about. I can't with good conscience recommend you or anyone else here spend money on something that will not provide you benefit. It is certainly your money and you can do whatever you want with it. I'm going to be absolutely realistic with you here though.

Let's look at the basic N/A mods that people generally do:
    • Short Shifter
    • CAI
    • Exhaust
    • Headers
    • Lightweight Pulley
    • Maf Cal (tuned)

Since you are near sea level, with these mods you can realistically expect to gain somewhere in the range of 40hp/tq at WOT for a price of approx $2000 not counting shop time. What this picture doesn't paint is that the Maf Cal isn't working unless you are open loop which generally will be under heavy throttle input. What really needs to happen is that you need to consider whether or not you are willing to put out the $1700+ for standalone engine management to make good use of the mods across the powerband. What also happens is that when you add in I/H/E cruising power will suffer (sub 2000RPM). You might have enough pressure down there that it might not matter much to you, but let me tell you it REALLY MATTERS at altitude where power already suffers across the power band. I now have a blower which is cool and all, but I assure you I wouldn't have had I never bought the other stuff. I see you drive a TRD offroad too... Do you have any intentions of lifting or putting bigger tires on it? Those are things to consider as well because rotational mass is a bitch.

TL;DR notes: Save your pennies and buy a Supercharger or spend the money elsewhere. If you are looking for sound or whatever get an exhaust and intake and call it a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsB2wtH24D8

10. Nov 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    Taco Suave

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    Sorry to come off as a dick before and I can see now you know what your talking about however, much of my research has not been just on tacoma world as you can see I one of my posts in the intake manifold spacer thread of a link from another sight of what that thing actually does. Anyways I do actually plan on putting on a supercharger eventually so I was thinking of getting the other mode before that such as TB, exaust etc. however maybe I'll just wait until after. I appreciate your help because some info you gave me was actually useful.

11. Nov 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/index.php

Is a good website and more tune for engine modifications compared to TW.... even though TW is moving in the right direction now with more users posting about their experiences with SC, bolt ons, tuning etc... Hope that helps :thumbsup:

12. Nov 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: I may not present the info in the best way all of the time, but if you hang around here you will come to find that I generally come with good intentions.

On which side of the TB are you referring to?

13. Nov 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM
    Taco Suave

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Go fast stuff
    The adapter dosent look like its tapered so I think it depends on the manifold inlet. I'm sure you can find that number somewhere. I'll check it out and post back:)

14. Nov 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
  15. Nov 28, 2014 at 1:19 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I can say the same about myself. :)

It's a car guy thing I guess.

nudavinci64 likes this.
  16. Nov 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Smog is a joke in CA. As long as you are not throwing any warning or engine codes, and as long as you don't look modded, you're good to go.

17. Nov 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    It's a question of pressure loss. The coefficient of pressure loss trough a valve (throttle body) is way more important than trough a reducer. So with a high pressure loss coefficient you want to reduce the speed of fluid circulating trough the items/accessories. So a larger throttle body is reducing the spped of air trough the butterfly valve and then the total pressure loss.

18. Nov 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I agree. It's stupid. I used to be very lenient when it came to that. If I saw an intake like k&n or something I wouldn't care. Only time I would fail it is if it was something major like a new intake manifold, LT headers or something outstandingly obvious. Not that I wanted to. I just had to.

Products Discussed in

To Top