1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014+ Ultimate Practical Tacoma Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Andrewb13tcb, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Andrewb13tcb [OP] Silver Surfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    -4.56 Gears Front & Rear -Toytec Coilovers W/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks Front & Rear -ARB Air Locker In Rear -ARB Air Compressor -Marathon Seat Covers -Weathertech Floor Mats -Leer Canopy -K&N Intake -Flowmaster Exhaust -Rhino Lined Bed -Alpine Type R Speakers Front & Rear -Alpine Head Unit -Alpine 400 Watt Amp -Custom One Piece Headlights -Suntek Tinted Windows (Lifetime) -URD O2 Sensor Retarder -Billet Rear Window Pivot Much More To Come
    So this is just a vision I have for a Tacoma I want to build after I top out of my apprenticeship.

Feel free to add to the list and tell why you would add that to it. Let's see some other dream builds.

I know I'm not the only one who has a list. There's clearly some things missing from the list below so let's get it Goin.

Here's my dream!

TRD Offroad
    E-Locker
    V6 Automatic (Always Had Manuals)
    White Or Pyrite Mica

--ALL PRO OFFROAD--
    -All Pro Offroad Apex Front Bumper $850
    -All Pro Offroad Apex Sliders $650
    -LED Light Bar Hoop $100
    -All Pro Offroad Skid Plate $220
    -All Pro Offroad Aluminum Fairlead $50
    -All Pro Offroad APEX Rear Swing Away Tire Carrier Bumper W/ Jerry Can Holder
    -All Pro Offroad Carrier Drop Kit
    -RCV Ultimate IFS Axles $2,000

-Warn VR8000-S Winch W/ Synthetic Line $730
    -Weathertech Smoked Rain Guards $106
    -Weathertech Black Floor Mats Full Set $190
    -K&N Air Intake $280
    -K&N Filter Cover $35
    -Rigid Industries 20" E-Series Combo LED Bar $500
    -Rigid Industries E-Series 20" Light Bar Cover $20
    -Rigid Industries D2 Driving Lights $300
    -Rigid Industries SRQ Backup Lights $250
    -Factor 55 Pro Link Loaded Thimble $145
    -Accuwheel 12mm x 1.5 Small Diameter Spline Lug Nuts Black $25+/-
    -3.5" Toytec Boss Lift $1,300
    -Hi Lift 60" Extreme $100
    -Bushwacker Pocket Flairs $500
    -2 Jerry Cans

Wheels & Tires
    -285/70/17 Cooper STT Tires
    -17x9" Black Fuel Hostage Wheels (5" Backspacing - 1mm Offset)

--SNUGTOP & MARATHON--
    -Snugtop Canopy $2,000 +/-
    -Marathon Seat Covers $560 + $20 Shipping
    (W/ Headrests, 1 Set Of Gun Loops, Console, & Drivers Side Gear Pocket)

--MISC--
    -ARB Air Locker In Front Diff W/ Compressor
    -Jumping Jack X4 Offroad Trailer
    -Relentless Fab Hi Lift Mount $70
    -Wab Fab Hi Lift Wabbit Foot & Slider Adapter $125
    -Truck Bedz GCSB $240+/-
    -Frontrunner Slimline Rack $1,000 +/-
    -Rigid Industries 40" E Series Light Bar $1,000 & Cover $40
    -Turbo Line Fender Flares, Rocker Panels, Bumpers, Rock Sliders & Skid Plate $1,300+/-
    -Truck Innovations Slider Window Boot $20
    -Max Trax Recovery Mats $200
    -Flowmaster Exhaust

2. Nov 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    -4.56 Gears Front & Rear -Toytec Coilovers W/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks Front & Rear -ARB Air Locker In Rear -ARB Air Compressor -Marathon Seat Covers -Weathertech Floor Mats -Leer Canopy -K&N Intake -Flowmaster Exhaust -Rhino Lined Bed -Alpine Type R Speakers Front & Rear -Alpine Head Unit -Alpine 400 Watt Amp -Custom One Piece Headlights -Suntek Tinted Windows (Lifetime) -URD O2 Sensor Retarder -Billet Rear Window Pivot Much More To Come
    This truck is my father's and was built based off this list with only a few things missing.

16ba73b6c613139db018b4c567816061_128aa106fa5e688d3c08dd14bd225321dfca536b.jpgb6f289955b9decb073435fbc688559e4_2106e05dfa8c0f86a1694261ba2d5daaf6b42db8.jpg4daae336cc1e947b6dad988bf5b2c628_521cf33fd762aa408369708d57a4fcc321e21db9.jpg

3. Nov 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    trdagule

trdagule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    naples FL
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4 speedway blue
    nice sub'd

4. Dec 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    DefconBrix

DefconBrix instagram @defconbrix

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '13 Overland Taco
    Check the build thread.
    I had my dream build and finally decided it was time to go all in.

I would get a rendering done with all the parts you want etc to know exactly what it's going to end up like and give you motivation to finish it. I used KP Concepts for mine and he did an amazing job. I plan to change some things up on my build next year and will be getting a new rendering done before I begin.

Good luck with your build and excited to see how it turns out!

Cheers!

5. Dec 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Why the RCV ultimate axles if you are only going to have 33" tires with a normal suspension list? I'm not saying they wont be nice but for 2 grand I would rather invest in a top notch midtravel suspension setup like icon, or even use the 2 grand for the axles and 1300 for the toytec and get a Long travel kit.

6. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    That was the other thing I looked at. I love the long travel kits. The reason for the RCV axles was because on my Tacoma I have the adjustable Toytecs and have it set so that my truck is level and I have a Diff Drop. I keep tearing boots so I'm assuming that's a weak spot that could eventually be a problem. Really it's overkill I know. I'd love to put the All Pro Long Travel Kit on this hypothetical (for the time being) build.

I'm glad this is getting some attention. I'd like the input from you guys.

7. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    Love your truck. It's pretty much iconic alongside the Brownie All Pro Build. They did do an awesome job with the concept and you did a nice job on keeping your truck practical and very bad ass looking. There's more than a couple pics of your Tacoma in my phone lol

8. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Gotcha, I am surprised you have issues with tearing boots. I haven't heard it too often. The RCV's are definitely sweet though.

9. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Do the boot slide mod and use quality cvs like Oem. Shouldn't have issues ripping boots.

Here are my thoughts, trying not to be negative, just trying to be helpful.

if you're adding a front arb you're better off not getting a trd off road so you have a stronger 8.4 rear instead of the 8" elocker rear.

Rigid lights are overpriced, spend way less and buy from a vendor on here. I've had better luck with my lights from vendors on here than my rigid lights.

Don't waste your money on anything from wabfab. He's a fucking douche. If you want a foot for a hi lift buy the relentless one. And you don't need a slider adapter.

Nice choice in tires. Cooper discoverer stt are awesome.

I wouldn't waste your money on the suspension you picked out. Take the money saved by not buying rcv axles and buy mid travel coilovers.

Wouldn't waste your money on all pro shit either. There's better armor out there if you want to build a solid rig. I don't spend time following their products so idk if apex is new but their older front bumper was garbage. You will want more than just an ifs skid too if you're going to wheel.

10. Dec 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    Love the input. As stupid as it sounds I never realized how close in price it'd be for a long travel kit. Definitely going to look more into that.

I thought the Toyota E lockers were good so I'm going to have to research that more too, thanks.

As far as Rigid lights go, I have a good connection on them and get them for good prices. They're tough and bright. The price isn't a huge concern.

The Wab Fab guy is a monster douche, can't stand him but I like the Jack foot he has built. Why don't you like a slider adapter?

With All Pro, I like their stuff. There used to be a lot of problems with the company it sounds like but they've been good to me and my old man. I wish the bumpers mounted more flush like the Relentless bumpers. There are a few things they should improve but they'll get there.

I went with Toytec because I have them on my Tacoma I have now and I chose them because the shocks are easily replaceable if they shit out. If I do a long travel kit it would be getting higher end Coilovers for sure. Maybe Fox Racing or Walker Evans etc.

This trucks a glorified hunting, camping, small expedition/ overland build. No super hardcore wheeling. But yes I want LCA skids from BAMF, and ifs skid, transmission skid, etc.

Keep throwing ideas and stuff at me. I like hearing it.

11. Dec 6, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Slider adapter is useless. Hi lift grabs the slider just as well without the adapter.

There have been quite a lot of people blowing ring gears on the 8" rear (elocker). Not saying it can't happen on an 8.4 (anything but elocker) but it's not common. Monkey proof has had to replace the gears somewhere around 5 time on his offroad model.

Lca skids aren't all that important. I do have them, but the amount of gouges in them doesn't justify needing them. Ifs, trans, tcase are the most important. I like having a rear diff skid incase I back into a rock or something. The rear of the diff is pretty flimsy.

12. Dec 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    Ok makes sense with Skids and also the slider adapter.

Good to know about the E locker. I'd rather get front and rear lockers and have less problems. I have the ARB air locker in the rear of my current Tacoma and I love it. Wouldn't mind putting one in the front. Wish I had the money when I did the gears and all that and just done it at the same time.

I just looked up lifts and the long travel kit came out to about $5,600 by the time I was done. Not including labor if I didn't do it myself. I found the Fox Racin Ultimate Suspension Lift and it looks pretty badass. It's about $3,300

13. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Unless you're hauling ass through a desert regularly, just get a mid travel set up.

Long travel is a lot of money, work, maintenance, modifications. Usually you need fiberglass fenders too

14. Dec 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    Yeah I just started looking up mid travel with UCA and I think just piecing together a custom lift with specific parts and options would be the best option. I just want extra wheel travel for when you need it. I don't plan on doing any high speed shit and still want drivability.

15. Dec 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    I've done more research and changed up quite a few things now like getting. TRD Sport and just getting complete 3rd Member & Clamshell Regeared and lockers installed from ECGS and a few other little tweaks. I love all the info on TW

16. Dec 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Good decisions. Ecgs is great to deal with

17. Dec 7, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    techride

techride Weekend Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    Bilstein/Icon 2" suspension lift with wheelers 5 leaf springs, 7-pin relocate through bumper, bfg KO2s, redline hood struts, immryo mirror relocation, stubby antenna, dipped emblem, heated mirrors, Jason trek cap, led fogs, debadged
    Pretty sick build! Everything you need, nothing you don't. Only changes I'd make would be to go with 255/80/17 tires and wet okole seat covers as opposed to the marathons. A buddy of mine's got the okole's and they're top notch. :D

18. Dec 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Andrewb13tcb

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    WA,ID,TX
    I love my marathons though lol and that's what my dad has are the 255 km2s.

19. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    IMO 255s look good on the smaller rigs like regular cabs and 1st gens. I had them on my truck and they looked too small. Now i'm on 315's and its perfect

Products Discussed in

To Top