1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'98 Prerunner Starter troubles

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Dalehill800, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Can anyone help out with Starter problems on a '98 Tacoma Prerunner, automatic, 4cyl - 2.7L? Everything is original on the truck except the stark plugs. I bought it new. It has 110,000 miles. :rolleyes:
    Truck has ran fine untill today. I turned the key to start the truck and the motor acted like the battery was dead. I hit the starter several times realy quickly and the motor finally turned over. I had to do this several times. (Actually went and bought another battery.) It turns out the old battery was just fine. So I hit the starter several more times. The motor finally turned over again and it crunk right up. NOW, the starter is stuck and will not stop so I turn the ignition key to OFF. The motor stopped but the starter still runs and turns the engine. I turned the key back to ON position, and the motor starts right back up, starter still engaged. Finally, I had to turn the key to OFF to kill the engine then go out and disconnect the battery to keep the starter from turning.
    *The only thing I can think of thats making the starter stick might be the starter solinoid. But I could use some help. First I need to get the starter unstuck, then fix whats causing it. (Additionally, why was the engine hard to turn over with a good battery?)
    What do I need to do to fix this problem?:confused: HELP!!

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Replace the starter...
    Unless you can buy the part to rebuilt it.

You are better off with a new or a rebuilt unit...

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    the starters go out on those trucks. when i had my 98 my starter went out around 120k miles.... 2cents

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    :DWell I got it fixed.
    BTW, the starter is on the DRIVERS side! (On the '98 Prerunners V4cyl - 2.7L)
    Here is what I did to fix it.
    1. Jacked up the front Lf side & braced it with a support jack for safety, then, took the Left front tire off
    2. Disconnected the Negative from the battery (with the key out of the ignition.)
    3. Disconnected the main (hot)wire from the starter itself & the other smaller wire (press the clip & the smaller wire comes right out.)
    4. Took out 2 bolts (3/8 socket) that hole the starter on, (Like everyone says it does take some manuvering in the cramped area, but you'll figure out how to get the starter out. Thru the wheel well was definitly the best for me. In PIC - B, I tried to show where the bolts are located even though you cant see them.)
    5. I took the starter to a rebuilder & they rebuilt it for $99.00+tax (sept 24th, 2009) it took them 2 hours. It looks & runs like brand new!
    6. then, I followed all the steps in reverse. Took me about 3 hours total & I work slow cause I have to sit & think about what I'm doing!
    * Once I got it installed, all I got was a clicking noise! :confused:Scared the crap out of me! I called Autozone & asked a guy whats happening. He told me to check my connections. I took all the electrical stuff back out/off & cleaned all the terminals real good & reconnected even tighter including the battery terminals & it worked like a charm. :D
    ** There is no trick to putting the starter back in. It fit back exactly as I took it off.
    *** I also looped a coat hanger around the starter as I was taking it off to give some support to keep it from falling down & damaging it.
    Here are a couple picks that hopefully help.
    PIC - A
    [​IMG]

PIC - B
    [​IMG]

BTW, I bought my truck brand new from Toyota in 98 & it came with a "Remanufactured for Toyota" metal label on the starter. Hmmmm. Do they not make these new for new cars or trucks?

Products Discussed in

To Top