1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

double dammit full retard

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 970taco, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Not too much to the cooling system.
    Heater core should have no impact on over heating.

You may be chasing different problems. no heat in the cab and overheating of the engine...

Check the heater core control valve on the firewall and see if it is actually opening when you operate the hvac controls on the dash.
    [​IMG]
    If you're not sure, pull it and slip a piece of 1/2" copper pipe in it so you know the coolant is at least flowing through the heater core.

2. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Well that sucks. Along with the previous few posts and from your background I guess you filled it, ran it for a while with the cap off, added coolant as needed, revved it up, added more coolant while waiting to see visual flow in the tank from an open stat.
    FWIW I don't test drive a 3.4 after a coolant drain and fill until I get 2 gallons of coolant mix back in. Then it usually takes a few complete warm up/cool down cycles (with driving) to purge the last bit of air.
    Have you run water thru the block with the stat out to minimize the chances of blockage in the block? I say minimize because there could be a blockage of some of the smaller passages in the block causing a localized hot spot while still appearing to "flow" coolant. I have found "worms", bits of FIPG (RTV) squeezed out from water pump installs in the coolant drain bucket. A quick back flush might be a good idea while the stat is out.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    970taco

970taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    breckenridge
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoo
    thermostat opened just fine. im gonna grab some food and then do some more trouble shooting. i dont have copper tubing. any other way to see if that valve is opening. btw, bottom hose stayed cold again during over heat. and yeah i ran it without radiator cap. it would only take a gallon of 50/50 till it was full and and even after i ran it till overheat the level was still full.

4. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Just pull the hose off one side and look inside on that valve, it's just a simple ball valve. It will either show a 1/2" opening or it won't.

Edit: Even if you still don't feel heat, the hoses should get hot. There is also a blender door involved with that cable setup and that will also block the hot air into the cab. But, I would focus more on why it's overheating, I was just giving you something to check to see if the heater core is blocked or not.

5. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    There is no denying that the fully drained cooling system holds 2+ gals. So keep that in mind.

6. Dec 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    970taco

Member:
    breckenridge
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoo
    okay, heater valve opened is functioning as it should be. i went out and looked at saw what you were talking about, put a screw driver through turned off heat it wouldnt, i also. drained the radiator, flushed the block from the top, then put the hose in the t stat housing and fired it up water pump is working, started spewing immediately. put the hose in the radiator where the cap goes, closed the drain valve and plugged the other hole and left the lower rad hose on, as soon as water started entering the radiator it started coming out of the lower hose. almost at the same rate, so im pretty sure the radiator is fine. im gonna try a new thermostat even though this one opened. i really am at a loss right now and what else it could be. water pump is great, water flow through block is great, water flow through radiator is great. so the only culprit left is the goddamn t stat but i boiled it and it moved.

7. Dec 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Carefully and smartly bore two 1/8" holes in the flange of that T-stat, re-install. If there is not enough room on the flange to bore two and still maintain integrity, bore 1 then.

You know it opens, but I think your still trapping air here and there. The holes are gonna help the bubbles jump and get moving as soon as water moves.

It's gonna have a warmup time increase,,but it's negligible. Operating/idling temp will be achieved as per your work.

It seems you have cleared and fixed all of those systems,,and they flow like they should. Like DP posted,,it holds a bunch of coolant and it's a constant check as you run it up to temp.

Don't jump ship yet,,your almost there and your learning a ton of info,,that will be burned into your skull. Welcome to the club.

8. Dec 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    KdF

KdF Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5 TRD 2WD
    Personally, at this point I would hook everything back up without the T-Stat and fill it with distilled water and run it for 15 min. If it boils over then for sure you have a major blockage in your engine. If it does not, grab another T-stat and get goin with the Anti-freeze. I read that the T-Stat only goes 1 way.

9. Dec 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    970taco

Member:
    breckenridge
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoo
    welllllllllp ran to up to advance bought another t stat slapped that bitch in bled the coolant system again and perfecto. heater, temp, everything functioning. i only ran it for about twenty minutes, drove a couple miles but it seems all is good to go. now i need to address the exhaust leak at the manifold where it appears that one of the nuts has fallen off. doesnt really bother me and i dont have to fuck with emissions. and also i have zero power to the head unit. gonna bust out the multimeter and start poking around. first thing i'm doing is pulling out these goddamn subs and two, yes, two amps. anyone wanna buy them? kicker competition series?

10. Dec 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    KdF

KdF Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5 TRD 2WD
    Yeah!. Was the T-Stat all along.
    No Boom for me, old Led Zep / Black Sab listener here.

11. Dec 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    970taco

Member:
    breckenridge
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoo
    Psh I guess you missed the post about me putting the garden hose in the t stat housing with engine running and nothing coming out the upper Hahaha. Yeah water pump was definitely done had axial play. But seriously thanks to all you guys for your help. if you are in co I'm buying ya beer!

12. Dec 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I just skimmed through this thread and it sucks that you got fucked over like that. Thumbs up for getting her going and good job for all those that helped.

On another note, did you lose your job?

13. Dec 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    so much went on here to keep track of but didn't you already say at some point that you had already put a new stat in it?

could you tell why it wasn't working? maybe part of that borked up water pump got stuck in it or was it stuck closed as built at the factory?

not that it costs a fortune but I hope you can get your money back on it, they should have replaced it for free if you knew it didn't work.

very strange a basic simple mechanism like a stat doesn't work when new, I would put in boiling water to see if it opens up at all just for the head scratcher that it is. I cant stand not knowing why stuff dont work if its not obvious why its broke lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top