1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Royal Purple synthetic oil.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by QMEDJoe, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dec 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe [OP] Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I work offshore in the engineering dept on ships. The engineers on here are gear heads to the greatest degree. They're mostly bowtie guys but they're pretty excited for me with my new purchase of my 03' Tacoma. Anyhoo, we were talking about all the work that's going to be done on it and one suggested changing out all the oils and to go with Royal purple. Does anyone run this in their rig and have you noticed a significant difference?

[​IMG]

2. Dec 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    I run AmsOil, tests I've seen it's better than royal purple. The biggest difference I've noticed is I don't have to change it as often and stuff lasts longer.

I use AmsOil 0w20 Signature Series in my Tacoma, change it once a year per recommendation.

I had a diesel Mercedes 220 I used AmsOil 20w40 in. It started with no problems after sitting for 3 days in 20 degree weather.

3. Dec 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    I find the type of oil is more important then the name on the bottle as long as you are talking about better known brands and not the cheap discount "no-name" stuff.

basicly any name brand oil is just as good as the next one IMHO.

4. Dec 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    It's awesome oil if you want to spend the money. Some guys swear by it, some don't. I run it in my 1967 F250 plow truck with an FE-390 big block V8 and it runs like a swiss watch with it in there. I run Mobil 1 5w20 in my Tacoma, Rotella 15w40 in my Powerstroke, and Valvoline 10w40 in my Broncos. They are all happy on their different oils.

5. Dec 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    If you want to not only read discussions about RP oil but ALL others as well...go join the forum at: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

You'll see RP discussed and all other oils Ad nauseam! Then you can come to your own conclusion!

:)

Ed

6. Dec 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Awesome, Thanks guys ! I just ordered some. I'm gonna give their oil filter a try as well. I know I've read some threads on here that Tacoma stock filters are just the same and probably so but Ive also seen many guys say K&N air filters are useless and my truck runs brand new with the K&N vs OEM. This was the same scenario in my Civic.....I spend WAAAY too much money on this truck !

7. Dec 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
  8. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Wow Ed, thank you for that ! You don't always get what you pay for! I'll be ordering me a Toyota filter!

9. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    as for motor oil in a 3.4.. royal purple is probably not worth the cost.. however swapping out tranny and diff fluids is very worth the moneys because for the most part it is a one time change and you will get 50+ thousand miles out of it..

i have seen some dyno tests before and after with royal purp gear oils and 4x4 guys will pick up 5-15whp..

10. Dec 6, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:

Thanks, I'll look into ordering some and change those out as well. I've never changed Transmission or gear oil before in my car but it can't be any harder then the equipment on this ship. :)

11. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    mrbeggins

mrbeggins LOW.LIGHT.WIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I've heard good things about royal purple. However...there's only one issue I have with it. And that's that it's already a dark color to start with. I'm not sure about other people on here, but I check my fluids religiously. Take out the full plugs and stick my finger in to check the color. I don't go by how many miles I have between changes. I go by color, viscosity, and smell. If it's burnt and brownish even the slightest I change it. With royal it's hard to tell the true color of the oil.

I ran Dusy Ershim and Rubicon this past fall, plus about 6000km of highway travel. Dusy was by far the dustiest trail I've ever ran. Absolutely disgusting how much dust was on and in are rigs. No matter how hard you try, no matter how good your seals are...Dust finds its way into everything. My fluids were nasty when I got back home. Long story short, I rather be able to see the color of fluid, rather than "guess" it's time to change them.

I run Penzoil Ultra 5w30 for motor, and Lucas 75w90 in trans case and diffs. Mainly because it comes in a giant 4L jug, so it's handy to have for all 3 applications. OEM trans fluid of course.

Just my .02....something to think about

12. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Definitely something to think about! Due to me just ordering it, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm dodo changing out my gear and tranny oil. I'm going to go with OEM on the transmission and royal purple on the diffs, as Ive seen a lot of guys run that.

13. Dec 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    I run full synthetic mobil 1 in my taco and all my other vehicles. Better for the longevity of the vehicles. Never tried royal purp though. It wont hurt it none though but once you go full synthetic you cant go back

14. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    many people have gone back to Dino oil after full synthetic many times with zero negative effects. Dino oil works for me, many 40-50+ year old vehicles out there still pluggin away so it must do the job.

15. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    That's were a oil analysis comes in. Sight, feel and taste...if that's your thing isn't a good judgment on oil.

16. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I have no experience with RP but the manager of my local O-Reilly's told me it left sludge in an engine he looked at (or something along those lines, don't quote me) and said he would not put that in anything. He is the only person I have heard say that so it could simply be bad luck.
    That being said, I believe Mobil1 is the best thing for your engine.

17. Dec 7, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    mrbeggins

mrbeggins LOW.LIGHT.WIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I as well have heard the same thing. I actually sat in on a conference about motor oils and what's good and what's bad. Mobile 1 and Castrol Syntec are among the bottom 3 motor oils produced that do not last much longer than 5000km, then they start to break down. Royal purple was at about the middle range on the oil spectrum. It starts to break down around the 6-7000km range.

Now...is this gentlemans motor going to sludge up. No. I rather run royal than Castrol or mobile. (I know this is going to start a heated debate, but I think we can all stay adults and professional about it). And another thing....there is no need to run the most expensive oil you can put in your truck. If your down dusty back roads and out wheeling lots like I am. Your oil is only as good as your air filter. Keep your air filter clean, your oil will stay clean longer. A $5 bottle vs a $20 bottle of royal isn't going to change anything.

I will try and find the papers that I came home with from the conference. But I can assure you Castrol and Mobile are not all what they seem. Number 1 on that list....Penzoil Platium. Then Penzoil Ultra. And correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the very few to come out with synthetic 10w60!

18. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    That's some interesting information. As for acting like adults, I don't think anyone will be offended by the Mobil1 result you claimed.

What conference was this? So you mentioned Mobil and Castrol being on the bottom three because they break down around 5000km, but what about their quality up until that point? Which oil actually does its job the best until it breaks? I'm changing my oil at 5000 miles no matter who makes it because I do know that some parts of the oil break down before that "15000 mile" mark they claim.

Those papers would be a good contribution to TW.

19. Dec 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Quantum731

Quantum731 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Severn, MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    OME 4" Lift (886 + Dakar Leaf Pack w/Overloads) ARB Front Bumper Avid Rock Sliders BajaRack ARE Shell CDN M101 Offroad Trailer Build OzTrail 375-OR Tent
    Would be great to see actual data. There is quite a bit available refuting your statement on top tier oils tbh...

Products Discussed in

To Top