1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Allpro Heavy Duty Slider Install Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by smd3, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    smd3

smd3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm trying to do a test fit of my HD sliders, mark any holes to be drilled, etc.

Should I have received but plates or something for this front leg? It bolts right where the transmission cross member is, and is a boxes portion of the frame. They included self taping bolts, but the metal probably isn't very thick here.

Before I drill I wanted to see if anyone had done this.

Their instructions on the site seem to be for the extra heavy duty sliders, and aren't super clear. I don't want to Swiss cheese my frame and screw it up.

image.jpg

2. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I have the Apex's... And they have a backing plate for that spot. Not sure what the difference is between the apex and HD

3. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    smd3

Member:
    I'm not sure how I'd get a plate back there, it seems to be a compleat boxes section of frame.

4. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    i had to push it back with my fingers and hold it

5. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    smd3

Member:
    I think I can get my arm in there from the back, the brake lines in the Driver's side will be a bit of a bear.

However, I didn't get any nut plates with my sliders. I guess I'm stuck until allpro opens on Monday.

I'm painting them now anyway. That'll take all of my free time this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Dec 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    fshnfvr

fshnfvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Florida
    Keep us up to date. I just got mine too.

7. Dec 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    smd3

Member:
    I still don't have an answer about whether there should be nut plates for the front leg, I'll update the thread when I find out.

Some other things I ran across...

There is some sort of module on the top of the frame rail, which is mounted on a bracket, whose arm reaches down on the outside of the rail. There's a hole in the slider's plate that allows it to bolt back up to the rail, but it's not quite right. You either need to sandwich this bracket's arm between the slider and frame, or figure out another way to mount it. There's a gusset that interferes with this bracket if you try to mount it on the outside of the slider's plate. There seems to be an identical bracket on both sides, although I only have worked on the drivers side.

The plate to the rear of the last leg could use to be bent in a couple degrees, it seems the frame narrows just a hair here. I haven't drilled for this bolt yet, I'll report back as to whether it's an issue.

I wiped the slider with thinner, and primed with a primer specifically advertised for rusty metal. There was hardly any rust on them, there probably would be none if they hadn't sat outside in a bit of rain when delivered. I painted with a satin paint. The paint seems to scratch very easily, I'm guessing I did something wrong here. I don't plant to have them professionally painted, they're just going to get beat up anyway.

I think a right angle drill is the only way to drill these holes. I'm going to see if I can find one to rent tomorrow.

8. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    smd3

Member:
    I talked to The folks at All Pro, the eight silver bolts are self-tapping. Which I suspected, because they look like self tapping threads. I was concerned that there's not a ton of thickness in the frame rail for the threads to bite, but he assured me they hadn't had any issues with them.

Drilling the holes in the frame is a bear, especially the ones in the bottom of the rail. I drilled 11 holes with a brand new dewalt metal bit before it became too dull for me to use effectively, at least three of those were doubled up sections of frame. I suspect it'll take 3 bits total to finish the job. Go slow, heat will kill a bit quick, cutting oil may help. I used a regular corded 3/8" drill without issue. The holes on the front leg were a bit difficult because of limited space, probably impossible with a 1/2" drill. A right-angle drill would probably be best.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  9. Dec 9, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    fshnfvr

fshnfvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Florida
    Thanks for the update.

Products Discussed in

To Top