1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration when applying brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stuart, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    Stuart

Stuart [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hell TW, seeking advice.
    I recently returned from a trip to the Sierra. While there I noticed a vibration started when I applied the brake pedal. The vibration occurs about 3/4 of the distance as I push the brake pedal. It's a subtle vibration on the pedal but is definitely noticeable and annoying. I also noticed what sounds like a small electric motor turning on under the hood that lasts for 3-4 seconds when I apply the brakes. I never felt this vibration prior to this trip which is weird. Once I returned I immediately checked out TW to see if this was a common problem. Sounds like a few people have experienced this. Has something to do with the Hydraulic Brake Booster Pump. But why did it start all of a sudden? My truck only has 4K miles on it. If the truck is off, key out of the ignition and I pump the brake, the sound and vibration does not happen. If I turn the key to the on position (car running or not) and pump the brake, it happens. When driving, It happens just about every time I pump the brakes. The attached photo is the component that turns on. Is that the brake booster? It doesn't seam normal to me. Any suggestions or ideas on the cause? I'm taking the truck to the dealership in a couple of days but honestly I don't trust dealerships. It's a 2014 OR DCSB and is still under warranty.

IMG_4849.jpg

2. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This sounds like the normal offroad brakes. They are different from the other tacoma models. The brakes feel a bit more touchy and will create a bit of a pulsing in the brake pedal. When I had an offroad it did the same thing.

You can always take it in if you feel they aren't functioning correctly.

3. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    Arkansas30

Arkansas30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Conroe, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2014 Titan Pro4x
    Never noticed that. Do all 4x4 tacoma's have that?

4. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    Stuart

Stuart [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chris,
    Thank you for the response. This vibration is definitely related to the part (see picture in first post) that kicks on when I apply the brakes. I don't know what that part is. I don't understand why it just started happening at 4K miles. It's not a pulsing feel. I feel the vibration coming from that device through the brake pedal. Brakes work fine though.

5. Dec 6, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I'm not sure why it just started, but the offroad I had would do the same thing. It would make a sound similar to the abs, and at the same time i could feel it in the brake pedal. I don't remember if mine had that cylindrical container or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top