1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

100w RMS Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ihatetacomas, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Dec 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas [OP] Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Been looking around on crutchfield and haven't had a lot of success. Im looking for 100 watt RMS speakers or above (I mean, not too above, 150w at most) so I'm not killing my speakers.

Right now im looking at a Alpine PDX-V9 5-channel amp, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDXV9/Alpine-PDX-V9.html?tp=35808&nvpair=FFBrand|Alpine

With a Audison Voce AV K6, http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=38

With a JL Stealthbox (still looking for something else) http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthbox-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-12-up

As well as a new alpine HU, CDE-HD149BT http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD1...BT.html?showAll=N&search=CDE-HD149BT&skipvs=T

The audisons are rated at 125 RMS (250 peak) but I'm finding it really hard justifying paying $900 for a woofer, tweeter, and crossover
    Is he just trying to sell me these though? This store is the only retailer in the us to sell them (from audisons "distributor" page)

By the way, what does a crossover do? Besides separate audio signals and send them to different drivers?

I'm a noob at this whole thing so any helps appreciated

2. Dec 7, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    I can't forget the help iv gotten from manethon as well, so he has recommended a brand called Mercury. The K 62 mids and 90.4 amp. Only found one retail store, and that's in Cali and their website is terrible (besides manethon, who does group buys on them) who might hook me up on some. Depending on price...

3. Dec 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Passive cross overs are like a mini switch board per say, only allowing certain freq range to go to each designated speaker plus a few other things. Think of it as those multi shaped blocks kids play with that only fits into one location and not another, think of a cross over as something like that

4. Dec 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
  5. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I did it on a budget..Fosgate 6x9s 100 watt per side. I then added Fosgate tweet/crossover to them.

This was on a MTX 90x2 amp, which I since replaced with Megaloud 100x2. No issues 2 years in...

6. Dec 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Nice setup! Has anyone had Mercury speakers in their vehicles?

7. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'm wishing I have. I've talked to Manethon over the phone and the guy knows what he's talking about. I take his word on the Mercury speakers without hearing him due to his knowledge about audio. If I didn't already have a full setup I would look into these as the cost is very tempting.

I say make waves, be the first and try them out. I think since you are newer to the market your feedback would be the great to hear. The specs on them look solid and I doubt you'll be disappointed with them.

8. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:20 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    I couldn't agree with you more right now, the more I look at the audisons for $900 the more I want to spend half that much for the same power and Mercury might be it... We'll see how Christmas turns out. Stay tuned!

9. Dec 14, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    MtnBiker831

MtnBiker831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Trd Pro
    Audio, lots of it
    Yeah...you will have a much bigger chance of blowing up a set of speakers that is rated at 150 watts rms than a set of 75 watts rms on that amp. Go buy a set of focal flax separates and call it a day. What your looking for (higher than amp rms) is not what you want.

10. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Hold on, have you read the thread by Mr. Marv?
    If that was the case, (speakers with high rms rating vs an amp that has a low input) then every time someone turned down their music they would blow their speakers!
    He also mentioned to bridge the amp, putting it at 120w instead of 90w, so does an 180 rms speaker with a 120w amp sound better to you?

11. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
  12. Dec 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    So, about sound deadening...
    I just went on to sounddeadenershowdown.com and wow, I didn't know so much went into sound deadening! Butyl rope, closed cell foam, 3M thinsulate for absorbing sound along with metal sheets (CLD Tiles) for controlling vibrations...
    So what's a good sound deadened that doesn't smell? Or is it more of a hit and miss?
    Iv heard a lot of good things about raammat so I'm good there, now where can I find all the other products?

13. Dec 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    MtnBiker831

MtnBiker831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Trd Pro
    Audio, lots of it

Basically I am saying you are better off having more power at the amp than the rms rating on the speaker. When you adjust your eq like many people do and input a 3db gain (most eq's allow up to 6db) the amp needs to make twice as much power at that frequency. So if the rest of the frequency range is getting 50 watts, that freq that is boosted on the eq needs 100 watts. If you have a typical class d amp that you are likely looking at and it is rated 75 watts rms, it will attempt to make the power and either clip the signal (very heavy distortion) or with much more distortion than what you want to feed into the speaker (over 1%, probably a lot more). And no I haven't read some faq thread, I have been in the industry for over 10 years and deal with this on a daily basis.

14. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    There seems to be a large amount of confusion in this thread...

What mr. marv was saying pertained more to what happens when you tune an amp. So if you get a 100w amp and want to power your 200w RMS speakers, you'll likely be able to get that 200w out of it (or more) but the signal will be clipped and that's what kills the speakers.

In any case, that Alpine amplifier with those Audison speakers will be a great setup if you tune your gain structure correctly. As for the price on those Audison speakers, that seems very high. I don't recall that series being that expensive. At that price, you're better off getting the Hertz Mille component set... which I happen to be selling with custom sail panels for our trucks but no crossover.

15. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Fair enough, because you can always turn down the gain if you have an amp that pumps out more wattage then the speakers can take. Iv just been pulled both ways and I don't know who to believe... It seems like there's a lot of people with differing information which boggles my mind.

EQ is another thing I need to get to research too...

16. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Ahhh ok... so I got a little ahead of myself eh? Im also pricing some Mercury K62's with a MS 904. The mercurys are priced at a number I don't know yet until otherwise told differently. Heres a link: http://mercurycaraudio.com/PSD55448-ProductServiceDetail-mercury_k_62.html
    Mercury is pretty heavily decorated with awards and their vendor has been a world of help.

I think the audisons are so expensive because they're the only audio store selling them in the US (apparently from their distributors page) that and the audio shop is a serious gouger of pockets.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  17. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Nah, they're not the only store in the US. We used to be a dealer at my old stereo shop before we closed our doors. Hertz and Audison are both made by elettromedia and while they are hard to find, there are other dealers out there. Sounds to me like that store is really milking the fact that they're the only dealer around and it's probably costing them a lot of sales. I'll run it by my distributor for elettromedia and see what my pricing is on them.

Those mercury speakers look nice but I've never heard any of their stuff before.

18. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    chances are slim that anyone in usa has heard,seen or touched Mercury.
    They are massive over seas and compete really well there. I'll upload a gorgeous setup here in the USA that runs Mercury. It's a sq competition jaguar

19. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Have any pictures of your sail panels installed?

20. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top