1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel and grille painting

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Tsenekos, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    ok I want to paint my trd offroad wheels and the chrome around my grille.
    The wheels I want to do dark like black or dark grey and grille silver or black.
    Have any of you guys done this?? can you post pics for me and some tips on prepping it properly the spraying is easy, and the color and sheen in your pics, thanks :)

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Here is a LINK for your wheels. I don't have a link for the grille. But I have read that most guys sand down the grille and take it to a professional. They can color match for you.

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    Hey that link is perfect thanks I dont want something too shiney so is there something between flat and semi-gloss?

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:26 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    semi gloss isnt really that shiney. it's whats on the front of my bumper and grille.

it'll only be shiney if you use a gloss or clear coat.

5. Sep 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
  6. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    [​IMG]

I removed the grille and sidemarkers to paint them. Its pretty easy. I scuffed them really good with some 400 grit. I then used a couple coats of primer. I went over that very lightly with a Scotchbrite pad.

For the black I just used a Rustoleum semi-gloss. Considering the abuse it has taken, it really hasn't chipped much in 3 years. I have since gone over the bumper (it was chrome) since the painting with a POR-15. That is just to get by until I can get an ARB bumper.

7. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    How long did you let each coat dry? Doable in a threeday (or 2.5 day)weekend?

8. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    what ever you do. with the grill make sure you sand it with 100 or 120 befor then primer it. then do a light etch and paint it.
    i did not do that the first time and i travle alot to go to college so bugs after about 6 months have taken its toll

9. Sep 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Satin is between Semi Gloss and Matte/Flat usually....Just another option.

Follow the directions on the paint you use. The paint I worked with said let dry 25-30 mins between coats and then set for 2 days. So I did 3 coats per wheel and then let them dry over night inside out of the elements and then put them back on the truck.

10. Sep 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    You can get a semi-gloss or matte clearcoat and that will help too.

I tore mine off, prepped, taped off and painted one day and let it dry over night. Then I just reassembled the next day. I think the overnight part was the hardest seeing I was so axious to get rid of that chrome!!

Products Discussed in

To Top