1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY - Third Light Silhouette (2nd Gen)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RustyBlue, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Dec 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    RustyBlue

RustyBlue [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 A-Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Hello TW,

First DIY here. I got bored one day while on PTO, and looked for a quick truck project. Instead of replacing my third brake light with one of those cool aftermarket LED assemblies, I got the idea to put a "TRD" silhouette over it using some matte black vinyl I had laying around (failed motorcycle wrap project). Here are the results with brakes applied:

2014-11-11164611_zps50f56ec2_6a13601837c01a2bd6e147405ca716a9d474a25e.jpg

Now I found that you could buy a similar vinyl sticker pre-sized and cut on eBay, but I decided to take the challenge and do it myself.

Steps I took were:
    1) measure light cover
    2) size a reasonable "TRD" centered between the two screw holes
    3) print on white paper, and cut out a stencil
    4) use the paper stencil to cut out the "TRD" letters from the vinyl (most time consuming step)
    5) center the vinyl sticker on the light cover as best you can, then trim around the edges

I've attached the stencil template for those of you who want to give this a try, but don't care to do the graphic design. Just be sure to size the image no more than 5.5" length by 1.52" height in a word doc or other tool of your choosing, or you're text will extend outside the lighted area of the cover. You can scale the text down as much as you'd like. This is sized to a 2nd Gen cover, so I can't be sure if it works on the 1st Gen.

TRDTemplate_zps9fb97d9c_a9a2150858b2c3eb9ca2825f75c1a6504f85e449.jpg

If anybody gives this a try, post your results!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top