1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Side View Mirror with Turn Signal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zackk, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Dec 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Zackk

Zackk [OP] New Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    I just installed OEM side view mirrors w built in turn signals on my 2014 Baja. They look great, however the signals don't work. I think I may need to install a flasher or relay but I'm not sure. As anyone come across this issue? :

2. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    What do you mean by OEM? Did some of the Baja's come with signal mirrors?

What did you wire them to?

3. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Welcome from TN! what part of NY you from?

also did the truck have them before or no? I’d think it would be wired for them, but you may have to add a relay or fuse.

4. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    apoteker

apoteker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    JBL/Entune Touchscreen Navigation with speed sensor override mod, JBL Speaker refit, debadged, chime removed, overhead led mod, switch LED mod, rear cupholder LED mod, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket #339, Custom Cobra CB install, Iggy Switch panel, OEM Katzkin leather seats, Seat heaters, Illuminated 4runner 4WD switch, 4runner side mirrors (heated, turnsignals, puddle lamps), husky x-act fit floor mats, climate control knob upgrade, air injection pump filter mod, underhood LED light mod, KB Voodoo bike bar
    i am also trying to get this to work- i know that there is pre-wiring in the door harness for my 2012 Offroad but where the wiring ends i havent found out yet- long story short we will need to run wire from the fuse panel to the door...

if anyone can shed some light on where to tie into the door harness... i would appreciate it

5. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Oh, I see what you're talking about now, the signals on the mirror housing, not on the mirror itself.

Anyway, I just put Muth heated signal mirrors in my 2014 Sport last week. I can't speak for the Baja or the Off Road, but on the Sport, there is a bundle that comes into the cab/door panel from the mirrors and goes into a connector behind the door panel. This bundle of wires (probably only 2 in your case) would be used only for the power mirror function since you don't have the signals from the factory on the mirror housing. But, the wires are most likely there up to the connector, and you should be able to tap into them there. This is what I did for the signals on the Muth mirrors.

You can ground them to a bolt behind the door panel, and on my truck, the power wire for the signals was pink on the driver's side and blue with a white tracer on the passenger side.

If the wires aren't there, then you'll have to tap in down by the fuse box.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  6. Dec 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    JBL/Entune Touchscreen Navigation with speed sensor override mod, JBL Speaker refit, debadged, chime removed, overhead led mod, switch LED mod, rear cupholder LED mod, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket #339, Custom Cobra CB install, Iggy Switch panel, OEM Katzkin leather seats, Seat heaters, Illuminated 4runner 4WD switch, 4runner side mirrors (heated, turnsignals, puddle lamps), husky x-act fit floor mats, climate control knob upgrade, air injection pump filter mod, underhood LED light mod, KB Voodoo bike bar
    so here's the problem for me- the wires ARE there... but they stop short of the fuse box somewhere and i need to know where so i can make this work
    in my 2012 Offroad there are 5 wires leading up to the mirror connector but when i plug in, nothin happens... i've read all the formum topics but can't seem to find the answer...
    anyone have an idea?

7. Dec 14, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Ok. The original question was pretty vague for someone who hasn't had that particular problem. I'll see if I can take a look later today at where exactly the wires go once they get into the cab area if no one else jumps in with the solution before that.

8. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    All right, this is the best I can do for you...

The left blinker on my 2014 Sport originates at the fuse panel, where I am pointing with the test light here. It is the bottom left, pink wire.

LeftBlinker_zps2920dfea_91ff3fe43f297a3f1f77323d8b48123dd0663f58.jpg

The right blinker is the one right beside it, on the bottom right of this block. It is blue with white tracer.

RightBlinker_zps56ca8fe7_52e990f5624b189e03b641676b52099d36cdb013.jpg

Naveronski likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    Zackk

Zackk [OP] New Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    I don't think any Baja edition tacomas came with turn signal mirrors. I purchased the turn signal mirrors from Toyota (OEM). The mirrors have a 5 pin plug which correspondes with the existing harness. The mirror adjustments work as they should, but the signals don't operate. I also think I need to install a relay or flasher. Im trying to find some guidance from someone that may have attempted this same install. ****TN Redneck, I'm from Long Island.

10. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    Aerocooper... that is awesome... I am out to check my truck

11. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    Zackk

Zackk [OP] New Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    let me know what you find……thanks

12. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    So, now I am confused... my off road has the pink and blue wires at the fuse box... so now what??? Is there an extra fuse that needs to be added???

13. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    Zackk

Zackk [OP] New Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    I don't know.

14. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    There's probably a better answer than this, but if I were at the point you are now, I would just run a wire (for each side) into the engine bay then cut and spice it to the wires I showed you in my previous post and the actual signal wires up by the front blinkers. Kind of like this guy did, except he ran his right up to the mirrors instead of to the fuse panel.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  15. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    So, now here's the thing... I get 12 out of the pink wire and the white wire in that fuse box plug with the blinker on... so I need to figure out where that wire from the door stops and it may be easier to run new wire and tap into the pink and blue at the fuse

16. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Wait, when you put the left blinker on, you get flashing power off the pink wire, or constant power?

17. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    PS: The white wire is constant power, nothing to do with the blinkers.

18. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    I'm starting to wonder if you have power up to the mirrors, but not ground for some reason. It makes no sense to me that the power wire would be interrupted somewhere between the fuse panel and the connector on the door.

Maybe take the left door panel off again and see if there is power at the pink wire with the blinker on. If so, then ground is your only issue.

19. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    So I popped the pink wire out of the plug and put in a different pin that I had from an earlier project. When I run the pink wire to the mirror and the white from the mirror to a chassis ground I get the side mirror to blink. There is just no other way I can see around this so I will just run new wire into the email door

20. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    apoteker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB O/R debadged
    I was silently hoping there would be a quick solution besides that... oh well...

Products Discussed in

To Top