1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Change Front Brakes (Pads and Rotors)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LoadedTaco, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Thanks for the link and how-to video, Peter. Went ahead and bought one.

Any reason you didn't use the shims when putting the new pads in? If you were to use the shims, would the anti-sieze go on the outside of the shims, or inbetween the pads and shims?

2. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    FYI, you should NEVER use anti-sieze on any pad or shim. The shim (or sometimes called the anit-vibration shim) is there for a reason. You can buy and put some "brake squeak" material (buy at parts store) and put that on the shim. Use the anti-sieze for the slider and metal to metal contacts and bolts. You don't need much either.

3. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Ok, getting a little confused there. Probably over thinking it, but if there is place to overthink things, it's the brakes.

Does this brake squeak get applied to the outside of the shim (where it contacts the pistons)?

4. Dec 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco [OP] Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    IIRC I am fairly certain the kit I bought said not to use them. When I did my Dads tundra we just replaced his pads with Toyota pads and I reused the shims.

Sliders should use silicone paste. Especially floating calipers where the pin is internal.

The Anti-seize I used was the 3M copper stuff that can be used a brake lubricant. As you can see in the video I put it on the sides where the pad slides and on the back of the pad.

5. Dec 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Yes. You can apply the material on the back of the pad and/or shim. It's suppose to help eliminate squeaks on some materials. Just put a small amount on the back of the pad where it may contact the caliper and piston area. Don't overdue it, but a nice small bead is plenty. Some brake manufactures ask that you use the shim in place of the paste material as it acts as the squeak deadener. You won't hurt anything using both.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  6. Dec 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    Damn! I paid way too much for that tool. :(

7. Dec 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    thank you

8. Dec 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    mine just showed up on my front porch yesterday (my wife "ordered" them for Christmas) i, i mean she, went ahead and ordered me some shoes for the rear too as they have been getting pretty loud. ill be pretty busy between Christmas and New year's

9. Dec 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Couple of items: use an old cookie sheet to keep your things in order and one place, use a catch basin to catch all the brake clean residue and junk from contaminating the floor or whatever you're working on (this is considered hazardous waste) and dispose of properly, oh, NEVER EVER clamp the brake hose line. It may look good on the outside but it's the inside that does the work and does break down (no pun) over time or damage. And, you actually should bleed your brakes after changing as well as every two years or so. Brake fluid attracts moisture and will affect it's capabilities. If you ever wonder why your fluid turns dark, it's because it's been contaminated. Like changing your oil, it's cheap maintenance.

MotoMoose68 likes this.
  10. Dec 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Good idea on using a cookie sheet!

I agree with your information about the brake fluid and lines.

I am going to be doing a brake fluid flush video at some point.

As for clamping on the brake line hose. I definitely would say it is not ideal. It is important if you do, to make sure not to crush the line. This is what I have used in the past. You don't need to clamp it very hard at all.

[​IMG][/url]Untitled by pmdesan, on Flickr[/IMG]

11. Dec 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    icallhertaco11

icallhertaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Engage Long Travel 6 over with race spindles. 2.5x8 sway a ways wrapped in King Coils.
    Nothing I'll be doing soon but throwing you rep and thank you! I have much respect for people who take time to do write-ups! Helps a lot dude! :)

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Thanks!

13. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    OK. Let me help you and others out. I've been in this business for over 40yrs. Most of it running a heavy equipment fleet. When you crush (at any point) a brake hose, you do damage to the inside. Ever wonder why no fluid comes out of a bleeder when the others seem to work fine (given the fact the bleeder is clear of obstruction) or the fact the brakes don't seem to work on one side, check the hose. My guess is you'll find it bad, although it looks good on the outside. Brake hoses will fail on the inside and we've seen it countless times.

So, why would you tell someone to clamp the hose? I'm not trying or implying that your video is flawed, because a lot of it is pretty good. Just let people know the correct procedure before saying something. I know you say to do this at your own risk, but why give them a head start.

Flushing your brake system is no different than changing oil. It's good maintenance and something everyone overlooks. You should flush/change the fluid at every brake service and also every two to three years (even if you use the high dollar stuff). Brake fluid attracts moisture and that's what does damage to your entire system.

If you take some of the fluid out of the master cylinder prior to starting your brake job, when you press the piston(s) back into the caliper, the fluid will simply go back into the reservoir. When done, flush the system and get the old out and new in.

I hope you don't take this wrong because all I'm doing is educating you and others so you don't do needless damage.

14. Dec 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Front pads done,
    Couldn't be easier. Good write-up!

TacomaCZman likes this.
  15. Dec 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Im up soon
    [​IMG]

4x4cajun and wargames like this.
  16. Dec 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Sccafire

Sccafire KMG 365

Member:
    Alvarado, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    First off great video. A couple of things I have learned along the way I would like to add. After you put the rotor back on, sometimes, they do not like to stay on perfectly. All you need to do is put on 1 or 2 lug nits hand tight to hold the rotor in place. You may need a few washers if the lug nuts bottom out before they tighten up all the way. Second is go to the 99cent or dollar store and buy small plastic bins. They usually come 3 or 4 in a pack. Keep them near you when you work and place all your nuts/bolts and pieces/parts in them so you can keep track of them.

eherlihy likes this.
  17. Dec 21, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    SJC3081

SJC3081 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wappinger NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4x4
    Loaded taco great post
    I can't believe nobody saw the OD Glock 26 or 27 in a crossbreed holster.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  18. Dec 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Everything you have said has been received loud and clear. I will not advise anyone to clamp the break lines. I am not a mechanic so I appreciate the advice.

Now if more people would listen to advice this peacefully we would all be a little smarter.

:thumbsup:

Excellent! That is what I want to hear.

Good Luck!

Good call I will add that in the instructions and in future videos.

I was wondering when people were going to notice that. You were a little off. It is a White Hat holster carrying my 26. lol Good eye!

TacomaCZman and MrKatanga like this.
  19. Dec 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Great vid, just ran across it on YouTube and wondered if you were in here... lol. Which EBC rotors and pads are you using, part numbers by chance? How are they doing? Do you do any towing? I'd like better braking performance, especially when towing.

20. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Hey yeah the Part Number for the kit is in the beginning of the video. It definitely improved my braking power. I would say swap some stainless lines in with this and you will be golden. I do tow a decent amount, but nothing that heavy.

To Top