1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Compression-94 4x4 (HELP)

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by donnyl, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    donnyl

donnyl [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sprot 4x4
    My 94 4x4 3.0 has been jerking lately while going up small inclines and not pulling right. I had a mechanic check it out and said the #3 cylinder has low compression. Not sure I want to put money into it to have it fixed. I would like to find a different eng that would mount up to my auto tranny. Any suggestions?? or would it be good to find a 22RE with tranny? I had my eye on a (whole truck) 03 Tundra 4x4 with a 4.7 auto but I called today and he sold the tranny with transfer case already. Not sure if it would even fit. What would you stick in it?, or would you just have the 3.0 rebuilt?

IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg

2. Dec 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    rattlewagon

rattlewagon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Berlin, VT
    Vehicle:
    92 pickup fun machine
    cut grind weld
    Look up the 3.4 swap. 3.4s came in tacos and runners, very easy/common swap. Uses your same trans and such. Its the updated version of the 3.0, making close to 190hp vs the 3.0s 150.

a 22re wap would be very labor intensive... swapping EVERYTHING. Wiring, computer, exhaust, engine, trans, moving mounts.. etc..

The 3.0 is a great reliable motor, but not worth replacing.

3. Dec 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    donnyl

donnyl [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sprot 4x4
    Thanks., I called about some engines and was told he had a 3400 with trans/transfer case for 1500. Does that sound like a good price?

4. Dec 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    rattlewagon

rattlewagon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Berlin, VT
    Vehicle:
    92 pickup fun machine
    cut grind weld
    Maybe, depends on your area. Youll want to find a whole truck. You dont need the trans and transfer, youll be re using the ones already in your truck (trans are different side drops) Search CL for a whole truck thats being parted out, or has been in an accident. Youll want some of the 3.4s wiring, its computer, and some of the emissions (like charcoal canister) stuff to make it run right.

Seriously, Google toyota 3.4 swap. There is tons of info out there about this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top