1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

losing the battle against salt water rust

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by takern, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Dec 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    So I just recently moved to texas and have started duck hunting here this year along the inter coastal way with my old 870. Honestly I don't know how old but it has been around the block. a great turkey,dove, and squirrel gun. I has the factory matte black finish on it and I am getting by butt kicked by the rust. I have tried a few different types of oils but nothing seems to stop it. I clean the heck out of it after I get back every time to the point that the finish is starting to be rubbed off. I honestly don't know what to do at this point short of getting another duck gun with that high class camo plasticy finish stuff. I am afraid to get it dipped because if they dip over a part that is rusted it will just sit there and fester. This is bugging the heck out of me because all of my other guns are spotless but I cant seem to get this one under control. So anyone got any tips other than buy a second gun to only be used in salt water?

2. Dec 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
  3. Dec 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Dec 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    chain oil huh? I think i might have some laying around. At this point I am willing to try anything because I dont know that I can bring myself to put this gun through another season like this

5. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    that fluid film looks interesting too. might have to check that out as well. This whole saltwater thing is quite the learning experience from boats to rods and reels and now my guns

6. Dec 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Don't forget to check under the wood, etc...

7. Dec 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    CDSurfPhotography

CDSurfPhotography Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    has it started pitting or just surface rust. I kept my 1100 and 870 in a gun case during the off season and pulled both out with rust covering most of the metal. luckily most of it was surface but in some spots it started to pit. tried picking up some rust remover from turners but it only takes off so much, biggest thing is where u store them after hunting.

I ended up getting a safe with a dehumidifier and that helped a lot

8. Dec 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    it has not got to the point of pitting the metal just because I have scrubbed the heck out of it after use. But I can see the bare metal starting to appear underneath the finish. I think after this season ends I am going to just get the receiver and barrel sand blasted then do a custom camo paint job on it. The way I see it I am never going to sell this gun so resale doesnt matter and obviously the current finish isn't working worth a damn.

Just so you can see how bad it is i scrubbed the thing for over an hour today and got it about 80% rust free. Jumped in the boat and went to the duck blind. It was cased the entire trip and it never touched the salt water. No kidding i literally sat there and watched the thing rust right in front of me on my lap. It now looks like I haven't touched this gun with a rag for 10 years

9. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Random thought I had today while cleaning a cast iron pot for those more versed in metal and such than myself. Could I pull the receiver and barrel off of the gun, clean it with degreaser, and stick it in the oven at like 180 to heat it up, then rub it with oil while its hot to get it to absorb the oil?

10. Dec 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
  11. Dec 18, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    If it were me and I knew salt water actually got on the surface or inside, I would do exactly what the black powder (corrosive) shooters and salt water fisherman do. Wash it thorougly with fresh water to flush off all the salt. Then immediately dry completely and re-protect with your oils.

Including areas underneath the stocks or internals if necessary. Oil wipes might be fine for cleaning sweaty fingerprints but sea water intrusion is a whole different level

12. May 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    This is the method I would use

Products Discussed in

To Top