1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end damage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by devanb3, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    devanb3

devanb3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    Ok so met a pole while mudding the other day... Wasn't going very fast but got hold of it just right and did some damage. Shop quoted me at 2400 to fix all. I can do the work myself just wanted some opinions before i went that way. first off the front bumper I'm just replacing with a relentless bumper in a month or so but the fender and all I was going to replace now. my questions come in parts... Due to the extreme prices of oem parts I was looking at other places.. For instance Amazon has the fender made by diften for about 150 and rock auto has economy parts (which I've been told to stay away from unless you do both sides) for 60 and capa for 60 I've been told to be careful using capa parts but have also been told they are better then spending 211 for oem. I'm just looking for personal experiences good and bad with aftermarkets and if anyone have heard of diften before and how they are I'll spend the 150 to be safer then then 60 but would rather not spend the 200 for oem. Any help would be great I can paint myself as well as do any minor body work that I come across meaning bondo and all bdf2723857176f3ee55347918b7122f7_f7ab649633451cd5c47e3ad613ac1adf12680b20.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. Dec 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    Sorry about the horrible grammar tapatalk sucks or my phone typing abilities do one

3. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    CAPA certified parts are only certified to more or less fit and supposedly meet crash test requirements.
    As someone behind the counter, I can tell you they don't hold a candle to OEM for long term durability, corrosion protection, etc. Your truck is a'12 at the oldest, why cheap out just to save $150? You'll regret it later.
    This garbage haunts us constantly in this industry... I've seen hoods rot from the inside out spontaneously, paint leave the surface because their layers of ecoat didn't bond to each other and the whole works flakes off, and VERY rarely do they line up without lots of effort.

End rant :rant:

4. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    thanks what about parts by diften or other aftermarket that arent necessarily cheap but still cheaper then oem im looking at a new fender and tailgate (old damage) with installation pieces parts trying to not spend over 2500 with relentless bumper which will cost me 1500 by itself so if i can get away with 1000 for a fender tailgate (piece under headlight) mounting clips (if any where lost) and possibly a new fender flare that would be ideal paints going to cost me about 75 a gallon from ncs...

also just going through the quote i got and both are useing capa fender w/ flare at 261.... so price would jump if i went oem... where can i purchase oem parts besides toyota directly

thanks

5. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    From what I can tell, diften just wholesales the same Taiwanese stuff that everyone else has. There's actually only 4 or 5 manufacturers that stamp aftermarket sheetmetal over there, everyone sells the same stuff.
    If you're looking to save the $, why not get used? At 3 years old max, nothing should be road rashed too bad. Or, put a wanted ad on the 2nd gen marketplace asking if anyone saved theirs when they put fiberglass fenders on.
    I'm not sure if these guys have a location near you, but check out lkqcorp.com. They are an auto wrecker with yards throughout USA & Canada, so somewhere they'll have a white fender with flare that they can ship to whichever location you choose

6. Dec 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    Fullthrottlefab

Fullthrottlefab Active Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Weather Techs, HeadWaters Seat Covers, Vent Visors, GrillTech, 7" H.I.D. Hellas, 3" Level/ lift, Blacked out TRD Wheels & BFGs, Sliders, All Pro Apex Bumps, TJM Stealth winch, LR UCAs
    X2 - Exactly what whplsh said, why would you even think about using the cheap "crapa certified" fender. That's a pretty new truck, just spend the little extra and find a used fender the same color, and bolt it on. I will say the "capa cert" parts are usually a little better than the non-cert aftermarket parts, but still not OEM quality.
    -just my 2cents as someone who has bolted on thousands of fenders.

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    That's why I was asking hadnt ever heard of capa stuff so wanted to check before purchasing plus saw on the quote from both body shops that they were using capa crap so wanted opinions on them before I ordered and wAisted my time/money thanks for the help

8. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Bentrodder

Bentrodder PeeRunner Fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Cotati, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLBFTMFW TRD Sport
    Kings and a TW DECAL!!!
    Go OEM! I replaced the whole front clip on a Chevy pickup I had with aftermarket to try and save a few bucks. After way too many hours just trying to make them fit and look decent, I ended up taking it all off and buying OEM anyway. I learned my lesson and will never buy aftermarket body parts if I can get OEM.

9. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    devanb3

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead

Products Discussed in

To Top