1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who is running a ScanGauge II?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chosenfew22, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  2. Dec 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Like the looks of your mount. Have a brand name or which dollar store chain you found it at ?

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  3. Dec 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
  4. Dec 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Used my buddies to run some codes on my Tundra a while back. When I got the Pro I bought one so I could check the Auto Tranny. Lots of cool stuff can be accessed with it. Thinking of putting it in the cubby at the front of the console. Didn't go with the ultra gauge due to the buttons being on the back side in case I want to flush mount it somewhere.

5. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    chosenfew22

chosenfew22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    War Pig
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, Avid Rock Sliders, ICON Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Coil-over Shock Kit with CDCV, 1.5" Lift Rear Add a Leaf Kit, ICON 2.5 OMEGA Series Bypass Rear Remote Reservoir Shocks, Tacoma Bed Mat, RockyBike Mount, Cargo Net, Shorty Antenna, 17" XD Revolvers, BFG AT 285/70/17, Hilift Jack, 20 & 5% Tint, Blacked out badges, Derped Rear Bumper and Grill
    That makes sense, buttons on the back is kind of a deal breaker for me.

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I have a Scangauge II with a above the mirror mount, it is very accurate verified speed against 3 different GPS units. When I fill up the tank it is very accurate as to how much I filled up with.

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Have a SCII that I ran on a Civic to learn how to use it, then moved it to my '04 Highlander.

Bought another for the Tacoma, one of my early mods.

I like having readings, particularly for voltage and coolant.

8. Feb 16, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

the SG2 was the first to come out with the trans temp. The ultra gauge followed behind. It has two places to measure the temp: One at the torque convertor and the other at the tranny pan. It's more accurate at the oil pan then the torque convertor since it differentiate too much to be accurate. I have mine at the tranny pan.

9. Sep 26, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    Tacosalmo

Tacosalmo Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4.0L
    You have to send in your SG2 for an update in order for it to read transmission temp? So if you buy He used one there’s a chance it won’t have the update? Maybe I won’t buy a used one.

10. Sep 26, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    I tried the $.99 clip bracket mount, but I couldn't move it down or tilt it towards the driver. I liked the location above the mirror, so sprung for the BlendMount.

[​IMG]

I thought I remember something that 2005-2009 Tacomas were hit or miss with tranny temps on the SGII, but can't remember.

Here's a link to their X-Gauge coding:

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/toyota-lexus-scion/

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  11. Sep 26, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Yup like @DesertRatliff said make sure you entered the correct codes in to get it programmed. No problems showing the pan temp on my 2012 with SGII running firmware 4.40 (<- from memory..) Havent tried to read the converter temp though, just learned about that a few weeks ago. I do know that you need 4.45 or newer to get the TPMS readouts which would be cool to have.

Also for anyone looking for a cheap way to mount these things, but need a bit more flexibility than a tape measure clip - grab some 1/16" thick aluminium bar at your local hardware store and go nuts. Hands down the best mod-for-the money Ive done on my truck. Clips to the headliner just to the left of the mirror so I can keep my mirror riser bracket. Quick on-off if someone else needs an engine code read. And its rock solid too, probably one would have been fine by itself

20190712_194721.jpg
    20190712_194738.jpg
    20190712_204230.jpg

Coupe and DesertRatliff like this.
  12. Apr 30, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    razhick4x4

razhick4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    2004, Tacoma SR5 Xtracab TRD, 4x4, Red, 5spd. V6
    ARB Bumper, 3" Toytec/OME lift, 33s, Sliders, ARE Topper, Ditch Lights, Hella LEDs, Trigger controller, CB, Pioneer Radio
    Question for Y'all that have scangauges:

I am looking at picking one up and i'm having trouble deciding between ordering directly from Scangauge or buying one off Amazon.

From Scangauge Directly, it's $170, but from Amazon it's only $140. Now, I'm not nescesarally trying to pinch every penny but 30 bucks is 30 bucks. the only difference that i can tell based on reviews and stuff is that the Amazon version has outdated firmwear (Ver. 4.42 vs Ver.4.5 or whatever is current). for those of you who have run them, is it worth biting the bullet and spending the extra $30 for the updated Firmwear?

this is the one i'm looking at on Amazon BTW:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAMY86/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

13. May 1, 2020 at 2:02 AM
    93yotasr5

93yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    I’ve been running one for about 2 years. I love it. I have a manual so I didn’t care about the trans temp feature. I use volts, water temp, ave mpg and RPM.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  14. May 1, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    I believe V4.45+ has the ability to monitor TPMS, which I really wish I had. Also factor in current Amazon leads times what with all this virus crap

Edit: looks like you have a 1st gen, so that may not apply to you

15. May 1, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    ARB Bumper, 3" Toytec/OME lift, 33s, Sliders, ARE Topper, Ditch Lights, Hella LEDs, Trigger controller, CB, Pioneer Radio
    yeah, the other thing worth mentioning is that you can supposedly send your unit to Scangauge and they will upgrade the Firmwear for $20 or so. I could just buy the Amazon unit and if i need to send it off and do that... but by that point the price difference overall will only have been $10, which means that convenience wise, it might just be easier to buy from Scangauge. As far as Amazon lead times, i've ordered a couple of things from them so far during the Covid lockdown and even though the times might be a bit inflated, they tend to deliver early. I bought a box of Rivets on Wednesday afternoon, they weren't supposed to be here until Tuesday, they arrived last night.

i'm not real worried about stuff like TPMS, the main stuff that i want to monitor right now are Average MPG, Instant MPG, Intake Temp (rudimentary thermometer:D), RPM, and maybe battery voltage. with that said, I also don't want to pigeonhole myself into those gauges, the ability to monitor trans temp, engine temp, and etc. might be useful down the road (trans temp might not be too important as i have a manual, but i think y'all get the gist).

16. May 1, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    Why in the heck would you have to send a unit back for firmware? Why can't you just plug it into your computer and download it yourself? I would be hesitant to purchase one if I had to ship it back to them every time you needed a firmware update. Thank goodness nothing else I own needs to be shipped back for updates!!!!!

17. May 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    yeah... that's not ideal but as long as i can get the gauges that i need, i shouldn't ever need to send it off for updating.:notsure:

EdgemanVA[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 1, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    I used a scan gauge for several years. It's a nice product and does it's job well.

That being said; I got a Bluetooth OBD scanner for Christmas a couple years ago. After playing with the Torque and OBD Fusion apps, I've since retired it.

The apps give you access to soooooo much more info, it is well worth buying the apps and vehicle/brand specific files IMO.

You can be all set up for about $50.

Just my .02

razhick4x4 and Greg.Brakes.Tacos like this.
  19. May 1, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    This link should probably help you:
    https://www.scangauge.com/tips-tricks/firmware-notes/
    It lists all the updates and what they mean.

FWIW, I just checked mines and I'm running 4.06, haha. But it does everything I need it to do. Lately my gauges are monitoring my mileage and trans temps.

The only differences between 4.42 and 4.5 is:

• Fixed screen flicker which occurs while using certain Nissan XGauges
    • Improved XGauge to handle Toyota / Lexus / Scion TPMS based XGauges

razhick4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. May 1, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    I've looked into those Bluetooth OBDII scanners before but for something that should be running constantly as long as the truck is on, i'd like to have it be independent of my phone. I've had my phone's battery shit the bed a couple of times, then spontaneously be fine as soon as it's charged:mad::confused:. it's due for an upgrade (I have an iPhone SE, had it since they were current in 2016) but regardless, i'd like to keep my reliance on a cell phone for gauges and stuff minimal.

Sweet! this is exactly what i was looking for! Think i'm going with the Amazon version, as long as it does the job it'll be fine. doesn't look like there were any major gauge changes between Ver 4.42 and current so it should be fine. Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top