1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What constitutes "bad" frame rust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by broadwinged, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Dec 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    broadwinged

broadwinged [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelley
    Adirondack Park, NY
    I'm new to the forum and in the process of looking for a 2005-2008 v6 Tacoma with factory tow package. If it's a SR5 with the TRD I'm extra happy. Challenged by finances I'm hoping to stay under 14K.

Most vehicles are not close to me so I'm having owners and dealers snap a lot of photos before I even consider coming to look in person.

All that is context. Here's my question. What's too much rust? I'm used to heavily factory undercoated older Volvos so I'm not quite sure how much rust is acceptable. Right now I have a line on a good truck. Here's the frame photos sent to me. I'd appreciate knowing how this level of rust appears to others with more experience with these vehicles and this problem than me.

Thanks,

Kelley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  3. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    I'd probably pass on that truck- in the upper right corner of the second picture (top arrow and circled area) it looks like it's starting to bubble (but then that may just be the light). Look along the edges of the frame (second arrow/circle)- the layers seem to have issues separating and also inside the frame, particularly where sections are welded together and the through-frame holes.

Also look at the condition of the bolts in the engine compartment and for oxidation on the alloy parts- they might not be a structural issue but removing them for service can be a nightmare. My tow hook bolts snapped off with minimal pressure even after soaking them overnight with Kroil.

IMG_6512.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  4. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    As frame rust goes that doesn't look bad. Of couse little or no rust is best, but that will be hard to find. I had an older toyota truck that had no paint left on the frame at all and it still had plenty of life left on it.

The problem is the rot that can't be seen. Some of the frames have rotted from between 2 pieces or from the inside of the channel.

Personally, if I had a choice I would avoid an 05. Being as that was the 1st year for that generation some things changed after that year.

5. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Rust = Bad

No Rust = Good

Need I say more? :rolleyes:

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You are looking in the wrong area. You need to look at the area inside of the frame where the cats are, this is where the holes usually develop.

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Beerline123

Beerline123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma access 4x4
    I don't think its bad at all. A little work with wire brush or grinder and some rust converter and paint and I think that frame will be good to go . Good luck

8. Dec 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    This will be blasphemy on this site, but seeing as you are on a budget, check out the Frontier. It has a stronger engine for towing, and they depreciate more so for the same money you should be able to find a truck with lower miles or in better condition. Also, I haven't heard of them having a frame rust problem.

9. Dec 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    Have the guy get pics of the frame from the tranny xmember forward, that's where the rust issues are the worst.

10. Dec 28, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You do know that you are in fact going to hell for that, Right? [​IMG]

11. Dec 28, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That may be why they didn't send you any pictures of that area. [​IMG]

12. Dec 28, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    Yes, you have pictures of the part of the frame that always looks good on rusted trucks.

13. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Also, ask for photos of the frame right where the forward part of the leaf spring connects. That's where my '99 rotted completely though.

14. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I gotta agree with Davikes, keep away from the Tacoma, while fit and finish is great and the drivetrain is close to bulletproof, what good is a truck when the main component that makes it a truck isn't reliable. The 1st gens started first, now 2005-2008's and apparently some Tundras as well, Toyota has a huge problem with frame rust and it should really be a full blown recall as it can clearly be a safety issue. My next truck, once I get tired of welding patches in the Tacoma frame, will likely be either a Frontier or a Titan.

15. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    You live in a bad part of the world for corrosion problems. How about looking in another market. Like say, Virginia. It will add a little cost to your purchase having to fly to the truck and drive it home. But, you get away from the massive corrosion problems that most vehicles have in your neck of the woods.

16. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The only way you're gonna truly know....is have the owners get it inspected by Toyota and give you a copy of the paperwork from Toyota.

At that point...pass of fail......

PASS = frame coating
    FAIL = new frame & 3 months (or so) without the truck.

You can negotiate the price depending on the results of the inspection. CYA (cover your ass).

17. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    broadwinged

broadwinged [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelley
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Lots of good information here, thanks. I will get more photos if I decide to move forward. I've considered looking outside the northeast but trucks with registrations in the recall states throughout their lifetime qualify for new frames or frame coating. And if that sounds like an excuse it is...I might reconsider.

In the end Janster is right...it is up to Toyota. If I knew the truck needed and qualified for scaling and frame coating, that would be a good thing for me. If it failed, I can decide to wait for it or not...though I probably wouldn't since something else will pop up before spring (my deadline for finding my new used truck).

I'm assuming one of the reasons it is so hard to buy a mid 2000 (05-08) higher mileage (90 to 120K) Tacoma from a Toyota dealer (where I'd like to go to best use my trade in and be covered easily by lemon laws) is because so many of these vehicles come in and qualify for new frames...the dealers have the work done but then wholesale them...at least the couple dealers I've been looking with have done this with 4 trucks I've been interested in so far. And the bulk of used trucks for sale are at independent used car dealers.

I've thought abut the Nissan but my mechanic doesn't like working on them and a good mechanic is hard to find in the middle of northern NY...believe me.

Why doesn't Toyota undercoat these trucks in the factory? Right now I own two 1997 Volvo 850s...those things never rust because they are thickly coated from birth. Seems prudent...but maybe Toyota likes engineered obsolescence?

Cheers,

Kelley

18. Dec 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Almost no trucks come with an undercoating from the factory. All cars come with the thick rubber undercoating on the unibody and underside.

Used tacomas sell quickly. That's why it's so hard to find one. My local dealer usually sells new and used within a week of having it on the lot. I bought mine while it was in transit because I new it would sell once it hot the lot.

Products Discussed in

To Top