1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Coolant

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dpow, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Jan 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    dpow

dpow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Philly | Pittsburgh | Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    I was replacing my air filter and noticed that the coolant reservoir was very low. I assume I should top this off, but my bigger concern is I just got back from a 25k dealer checkup and no one mentioned this to me. Should I bitch out the dealer? How big of an issue is it to have low coolant in the winter? Pic attached.

[​IMG]

2. Jan 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Was the truck cold when you saw this? I would definitely top it off and check and see if you can find a leak. My water pump started leaking and the coolant level dropped. I have since replaced the water pump

3. Jan 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    You could complain to the dealer... but I would rather spend my energy topping it off with the correct fluid (SLLC) and watch it for the next few hundred (or thousand) miles. I occasionally have to top mine off. I've been OK like that for 214,000 km.

How many miles have you got on the truck? (nvm, see you have about 25k)...

4. Jan 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    The dealership should have caught that when you took it in for service. It's not low enough to do any damage but I'd still give them some shit for it.

5. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Look at your radiator cap..... Do you see residue of it leaking from the cap?

When I was still under warranty... my reservoir was low also. I found my radiator cap was leaking. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the cap and refilled the reservoir. About 1.5 years later....cap leaks again. I was actually out of warranty by that time. I bought a STANT aftermarket cap.....and took the truck to the dealer to have them top off my reservoir again (expecting to pay $$ for it this time) but they didn't charge me anything. The Stant cap has been good for atleast 4 years....

6. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    dpow

dpow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Philly | Pittsburgh | Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the advice gents...

The truck was cold at this time, had been sitting for 2 days. I'll check the cap and pickup some fluid.

7. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    It could have been at the low mark when the truck was in the shop with it already being warm since it overflows to there as the motor warms up and the coolant expands, then when you went and checked it sucked in everything that was left in the reservoir because it was cold.

8. Jan 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    If it were me, I would go back to the dealer and have them add some OEM fluid. I would never add any of that "fits all" type fluid that the parts stores sale.

9. Jan 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    x2 spent the extra money to get Toyota pink coolant when doing my water pump

10. Jan 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    Is the dealer the only place I can get the pink coolant?

11. Jan 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    First off, low coolant is bad anytime of year.

As mentioned in an earlier post, you should refill and monitor. I would be very concerned about a coolant overflow tank that had bottomed out in 25K, especially on a relatively new vehicle.

If it were my rig, I'd pressure test the cooling system.

12. Jan 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I believe so. It's pre-mixed 50/50 and it was $13 a gallon for me

13. Jan 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    x2.