1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To pull the TIMING COVER, Is there ANY part of my truck that does NOT need removing??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by theduckbutter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jan 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    theduckbutter

theduckbutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma access cab 4x4
    350lb custome leaf bender bumper overkill
    Maybe this would be a better place to solicit my most burning question..

2005 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 - Manual Transmission

I am changing my Timing Chain and also addressing a timing cover leak at the moment.

I have pulled all bolts out of cover and thought I was ready to split the case.. am now realizing that I might have to pull Oil pan assemblies and Transmission, clutch plate, flywheel, and exhaust, and possibly many more according to FSM.

Was going to try and go against the FSM reccomendation (which is pull everything including the engine assembly (AKA MOTOR) ) and just pull off timing chain cover and change internals while its in the truck.

Anyone know the answer to this? I thought I was ready to split the cover until I noticed that the FSM might indeed know more than I. :(

I am documenting my procedure here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...acement-w-pictures-tacoma-2005-2-7-vvt-i.html

Thanks in advance for any one that has an answer for me. Preferably one I want to hear?? <:) I was hoping that I could pull just the cover and a few bolts that bolt to the Oil Pan assembly..... :[ :| :) happyhappyjoyjoy

Bolts_Out_Ready_to_Split_ORNOT.jpg
    Oil_Pan_Assembly_AT_Timing_Cover_Realization.jpg
    2015-01-04 11.44.20.jpg
    Starting_job.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    If you're lucky you can probably get by with leaving the rear bumper on, but there's no guarantee :laugh:

Really, 1 part leads to the other and before too long you have to remove the engine to change 1 thing. If memory serves you'll be dropping the oil pan as the timing cover removal will screw up the oil pan seal so it has to be done regardless.

3. Jan 17, 2015 at 4:11 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    am now realizing that I might have to pull Oil pan assemblies and Transmission, clutch plate, flywheel, and exhaust, and possibly many more according to FSM. really, thats a bummer. i replaced the water pump, timing belt on my prerunner and did not have to remove any of the above items. this was on a 3.4. i hope my 2.7 never needs a timing belt replacement. keep us posted if you find the answer.

4. Jan 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    theduckbutter

theduckbutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma access cab 4x4
    350lb custome leaf bender bumper overkill
    Hey guys.. So far I just pulled the Timing Chain Cover Which obviously has left part of oil pan exposed. I plan on using a gasket and plenty of RTV.. I expect my timing cover to show up by Wednesday , Maybe thursday I will have her sealed back up and will post to the other thread how it goes..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...2-7-vvt-i.html

Lots more stuff I willbe posting and then creating a more easily readable format instructions step by step with parts lists etc without having to scroll thru the whole thread..

Thanks for posting

Products Discussed in

To Top