1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Rear Suspension TSB - done

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rb11701, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Sep 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Just wanted to say that I had the TSB for the rear end done yesterday. Dealer had the truck the whole day. Had zero problems getting it done. I called Toyota and registered my issue. Called the dealer, explained what was going on. SM called me as well. Brought the truck in, a few hours later they told me they needed to make an appointment. Truck rides 100% better. Do not be fooled when they mention the truck's ride might be worse. They lie! The read end feels sold now. Not wishy-washy. I am on factory fronts shocks and the rake is not bad at all. I highly recommend this to anyone who is on the fence. Even if you don't out 1 pound in the bed, get it done. The truck handles like a different truck. I noticed as soon as I pulled out of the garage. It was like night and day.

Balise Toyota
    Warwick, RI
    Steve Guyette is the Service Manager. Great guy.

Overall, A+ on the whole ordeal.

2. Sep 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    zjolsen

zjolsen Go Huskers!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Omaha,NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD SPORT 4x4
    Pro dry S, Secondary filter removed, LaminX yellow fog light covers, Westin Step Bars
    I am a 2010 and only have 3 leafs.. I hope and I mean hope.. i got the redesigned rear springs.

3. Sep 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I got a 4 leaf pack. When I was at the dealer, all the 2010 had 3 leafs. The part number was the same as mine, only had an H next to it. Mine was G. I would think that if there was a new 3 leaf pack they would have put it in over the 4 leaf but who knows. I do know that with the new 4 leaf pack, my truck handles better. No doubt. Before, the rear end seemed like mush. Felt loose if that makes sense. Now, feels solid. Real solid. I would say that my on road ride is noticeably better. I had an Ariens 7.5HP snow blower, some wooden ramps and a few bags of sand. Rear end seemed to sway and I was not a fan of driving it. As it is a snowblower, the roads would only be worse when I ventured out. Can't wait to see how it handles now.

4. Sep 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I have 2010 with K series 3 leaf pack. Rear end does seem to be all over the place even with a small 200 load. Great news on getting it done! It looks like they will continue to install 3 leaf parts and only upgrade those who file complains and concerns as this is a smaller chunk of market. I will give my truck 10k or so miles and see how they do for now.

5. Sep 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    Did you have this done under the earlier TSB or one that actually mentions 2009?
    I am considering having this done. I do have a shell now and that adds some weight but I only have 450 miles on my truck so I haven't really noticed a suspension problem in the rear. Yet.
    I don't plan on hauling a lot of extra weight around either.
    But it sounds like you really like the ride better now.

I'm kinda afraid it might be too stiff for just normal use. Is that true, does it bounce around along the freeway (some of our freeways around here are messed up)? I sure don't want a tooth rattling ride all the time.
    Or is it firm but smooth if you know what I mean?

Too bad you can't test drive it first, eh?
    I have an old '83 Chevy K20 that has like 17 leafs (stock) in the rear and it rides perfect empty so extra leafs shouldn't make the ride rougher I guess.
    [​IMG]

6. Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I would believe that it was done under the TSB that does not cover the 2009. I was unaware that one was actually out for the 2009 rear end TSB. At least for the V6 Taco's.

All I can say to everyone is that the upgrade is well worth it. I still have stock shocks and coils and I can say that I do not bounce around. I have yet to have any issues with an unloaded bed (Keep in mind that is really only 1 full day of driving) skipping around on me. To me, the ride is just right. Feels strong in the rear yet doesn't rattle my teeth. I would say it is great for normal use. Roads in RI are the worst I have seen. I mean the worst. I have had no issues. I think you will love it and wonder how they could actually sell a Tacoma with those crappy 3 leaf packs.

7. Sep 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    1sicktaco

1sicktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD DC
    i have a 09 trd sport, what is this recall you talk of??? is it on all tacos in 09??? lmk asap please

8. Sep 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    X2 The roads in Rhode Island are the worst! I also agree with you on the ride and handling. I had my 09 done about a month ago (4800 miles) and love it. I went to Boch South in Mass. They did good. I read in here somewhere that all Tacomas up in Canada come with 4 leaf packs.

9. Sep 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Not so much a recall as an update to the rear leaf springs. In a nutshell, the leaf packs that came stock from Toyota are on the softer side. These newer springs will allow for a heavier load to be carried. One issue people were having was when they had minimal weight in the bed. The ride would seem sloppy and not very safe. Toyota updated the suspension as thier answer. As of right now, this TSB only covers up till 2008 Taco's. However, many 2009 owners have had it done. Including myself. I say it is well worth even if don't put anything in the bed. The ride is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock ride.

10. Sep 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I almost bought from Boch South. Balise was alot closer and the saleswoman left a bad taste in my mouth when we were trying to come to a price. Her first price was 30,750. The kicker was she seems almost disgusted with me when I informed her of the invoice price and nicely mentioned that if she wanted my business she would have to do better. Needless to say, Balise hit my number within 30mins. Nice to see a fellow Southern NE guy around here. You live in RI?

11. Sep 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    I'm in East greenwich. I went to Tarbox first and I told them to do their best cause the next day I was going to Boch. Tarbox was $2,200 higher in the end. Now that the TSB is done I want to get the adjustable front Bilstien shocks and level it out as its got a slight rake. I could live with it though. Gonna wait till spring and see how much it settles. Rides great. I look for excuses to drive now. I hauled a load of firewood yesterday and it just leveled it out and felt fine. Before it sagged bad. Definitly worth it.

12. Sep 27, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I'll keep an eye out for your Taco. I am in Cranston. I love the TSB. Like I posted, I think the ride is better with it. Looking back, the stock handling was terrible lol. Now I gotta figure out how to stop my window rattle. :confused:

Balise beat Boch by $1,200. They really treated me good. Overall a fantastic process. Even if Balise just matched Boch, I would have gotten from them. I bought my 1997 Taco from them when they were Norwood. (Grew up in Warwick) plus it is like 10mins from my house.

Take care.

13. Sep 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I'll keep an eye out for your Taco. I am in Cranston. I love the TSB. Like I posted, I think the ride is better with it. Looking back, the stock handling was terrible lol. Now I gotta figure out how to stop my window rattle.

Balise beat Boch by $1,200. They really treated me good. Overall a fantastic process. Even if Balise just matched Boch, I would have gotten from them. I bought my 1997 Taco from them when they were Norwood. (Grew up in Warwick) plus it is like 10mins from my house.

Take care.

14. Sep 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Why don't they build them right to begin with....they know 3 leafs are no good!!

15. Sep 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    because the 3 leaf makes a car like ride, and the majority of truck buyers dont haul, off road, or anything that requires it to be a truck.
    But it sure it sure does drive nice!!!
    That is a good question, why is it that they dont have the 4pack part of trd package at least?

16. Sep 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    All Beef Taco

All Beef Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road DC 4x4
    Rattle canned wheels, Weathertech Floormats, Undercover Tonneau, DIY Hi-Lift jack bed mount, Demello Sliders, ARB Bumper w/ ARB Fogs + anytime fogs mod, IPF 968's, Warn M8000 w/ Amsteel Blue & Billet 4x4 Hawse Fairlead, Rear Leaf TSB, Toytec Adjustable Coilovers and AALs, Rear Bilstein 5100's, BFG MT KM2's, Safari Snorkel, Rear Diff Breather Mod
    This has me wondering if they'd be willing to do the TSB on my new 2010...

17. Sep 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Gatoral65

Gatoral65 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB SR5
    None yet...
    Glad to see that you liked it, I just got an appointment to take my 09 in on Friday. Thankfully it was no hassle at all. I've been so busy I just fired off a quick email to my salesman who passed it on to the service manager. After checking with Toyota they said the could do the work even though 09's were not covered.

I will post back my thoughts once the work is complete.

18. Sep 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    You have to think that the 2009's will be on the TSB soon. Especially the ones built in 2008. Seems crazy easy getting it done on 2009 trucks.

19. Sep 28, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    Thanks. Good info.
    I'm going to think about doing it and I have a good relationship with my dealer too.

20. Sep 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    Wildboar1945

Wildboar1945 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    So. CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 DC 4X4 TRD Sport w/tow pkg
    Workman canopy by Vision, Tow mirrors by ME
    Hey all... thanks for all the info. Great thread!

I have an '05 TRD Sport DC 4X4 w/tow pkg. and was hoping to be able to take advantage of this TSB. I recently bought a 28' Keystone Passport Ultra Lite and firmly believe the towing experience would greatly improve with the added suspension.

Problem is: every dealership I contact concerning the TSB, including where I bought my rig, gives me a song and dance about the suspension having to be shot to the point where it bottoms out before they'd even consider doing the work! Either I'm reading the relative threads wrong or I have really lousy people skills!??

Any assistance concerning how to approach this issue with the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Truck has only 45K on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top