1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose lug nuts on aluminum wheels?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MeefZah, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have experienced BRAND NEW VEHICLES under two years old have the wheel rust SOLID to the rim...Aftermarket wheels help, as does a layer of anti-seize.

Howard

2. Dec 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I usually do that also.... although, sometimes I forget to do it. 5K miles later, there's always one wheel that's stubborn and doesn't want to come off. Cursing myself for forgetting!

3. Dec 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah [OP] Curmudgeonly

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    Yep, got the advice, will heed it. Well, will heed the good advice... New nuts, a torque wrench... thanks! Also thank you for the compliment on the appearance of my nuts. :D

I've really never felt the need for a torque wrench before, I've had a lot of stuff I know I should have torqued to spec but if you don't have a wrench you pretty much just tighten shit down and call it a day. I've always meant to buy one but without a specific need for it I never remembered on my tri-yearly walk through the hardware store.

4. Dec 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We've all been there...with budgets & timing.

To put it into perspective - your truck is probably the most expensive thing you'll buy (aside from owning a home). The more money you spend on your vehicles, the more money (care & critical nature of maintenance) you should spend on your tools. It's an expensive investment you want to take care of.

I'd love to say something else about your nuts...:eek: but I can't seem to get this evil grin off my face. :p

5. Dec 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    GoldyLocks

GoldyLocks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    97 caged 4x4 tacoma, SR1 Rhino
    LOL
    this quote is gold.

mine.

6. Dec 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    SWB Tacoma

SWB Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited DC AT SB 4x4
    Inspect the studs closely make sure they are not stretched. If they are they should be replaced.

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I've seen this on a 2004 Mazda 3 Sport. I changed the wheels from steely snows back to the stock 17" aluminums and even after a short drive they are coming loose. Torqued by mechanic at a shop, SAME issue. Basically I have to tighten and retighten a few times the first week then it's all good.. But really annoying.
    Only on this car. Nothing on my old Chev and current Taco.

8. Dec 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    Under torquing lets the nut get loose.
    Over-torquing pulls and stretches the lug, and wrecks the threads on the nut too.
    The torque specs were written for a reason. The engineers have figured out what is too loose and what is too tight by breaking things. Follow their advice so you don't have to find out by breaking things.
    Some great comments in this thread, guys.

2WD likes this.
  9. Dec 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does the lug stick out at all from the wheel surface? It doesn't really look like it does from the picture. If not, it looks like the lug nut only engages up to the washer or so, which doesn't seem to me to be enough.

10. Dec 29, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    Yes, it protrudes a few threads.

The nut goes into the wheel and engages appropriately, 10+ turns.

I've fixed the issue using advice here and am just waiting on mileage to double check everything.

11. Jan 6, 2015 at 12:33 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    Update:

I pulled the wheels, inspected the lugs and nuts, cleaned and anti-seized the hub mating surfaces, cleaned but did not anti-seize the lugs, and then reinstalled the wheels with 45 ft / lbs and then 85 ft lbs of torque using a wrench I (finally) bought. I also indexed all the nuts with a Sharpie so I could keep an eye on them over the next week.

I did not immediately replace the lug nuts as Toyota ones were $6 / ea, and even the bulk ones at Advance were $4 ea. Figured I'd see how the existing ones held up since they all looked okay.

500+ miles later with a mix of roads ranging from interstate to jeep trail in 4WD, almost all the lugs are still torqued properly at 85 ft / lbs. I had three lug nuts on one wheel which were maybe 1/16 of a turn loose, there was just the slightest bit of "tightening" before the torque wrench popped.

Based on that, I'm going to wrap this up with a "I'm an idiot", as I was clearly way overtightening the nuts by "feel", in the misguided thought that more is better.

Thanks for the advice. I feel stupid - but, I learned something and I got a new tool.

Hyperbarics likes this.
  12. Jan 6, 2015 at 6:03 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

do not EVER buy a torque wrench from Amazon. they do not give a rats ass that is it calibrated equipment and it will arrive damaged and out of whack.

Source ? Tried three times, had to return all three, way out of whack. No calibrated equipment is trust-able from Amazon.

13. Jan 6, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    Yota Bird

Yota Bird Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 White Prerunner 2.7L
    6K HIDs,6K LED Foglights,Magna Flow Hi-Flo Cat,Flowmaster 40,Tinted Brake Lights,Clear Corner and Turn Light Housings
    I torqued mine at 85 and with in a weeks time I never checked back over my lugs and the front driver side tire ended up coming off while I was driving, thank god I was pulling into my drive way when it happened, The outcome was a dented fender, zipped tied fender well, 4 broke studs, and a scrapped up rim..But no one can tell I even have body damage, well from what Ive heard :D

[​IMG]

PS - I always torque 110 now no problems

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  14. Jan 6, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    hmm, I've never used a torque wrench for putting my lugs on. I know some of you will post your theories and say I'm wrong but having an old-school mechanic teach me the right way to do things is better than over-thinking.

I've never had an issue n 20+ years with lugs loosening, stripping, or stretching. I also live in the north so you guys with stuck wheels, hit the top or bottom of the tire and it will come loose. just keep the hub (and mating surface on the rear, people tend to forget this) free of most corrosion and you'll never have an issue. anti-seize is not really needed in most cases and adds to issues. using a small dab of oil (a tiny drop) spread around the hub will accomplish the same and help prevent corrosion (but truth be told I haven't even needed to do this in years).

15. Jan 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    x2

16. Jan 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:

NO....sheesh

Amazon has a huge warehouse or they sub out to another supplier

person in warehouse selects item from pick list, throws it in the box
    throws the box around, it arrives out of whack

if your items happens to be a torque wrench, calibrated bellows air gauge, or other sensitive device, good luck on it arriving in working condition

THREE times >300 dollar calibrated electronic torque wrenches arrived, all arrived with dented and damaged item packing, inside an intact Amazon box, and with wildly inaccurate readings and two air gauges both had broken displays or misplaced needles

it is the way items are thrown around by amazon workers

so for torque wrench I just got it from the local snapon dude when he made his rounds
    to my friends shop and said screw shipping this online from anywhere

17. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    LOL, good talk!

18. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    Umm, they are individually delivered, lashed to the legs of doves that are bred specifically for that purpose and are then promptly euthanized after their delivery. It's on their website.

19. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    all I know is I have been burned three times in a row by Amazon for a nice CDI torque wrench, (each one was returned, and the replacement arrived damaged, and again. I demanded money back last time) and twice for air gauges (needles stuck on broken gauge dials) from amazon shipping. oh yeah also a case of gatorade 9gal powder cans arrived smashed too. only 2 of six weren't broken open and leaking powder...it is just sloppy work the people packing things up before it goes in the final shipping box....

YMMV

sometimes amazon does work and ship things correctly, but calibrated devices you trust safety with ? I'll pass

the torque wrenches would not zero out...the amazon box was fine, no damage, but inside was the torque wrench box, and they all had corner damage obviously from dropping or being thrown

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  20. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I order from Amazon on almost a weekly basis and I have yet to get a damaged shipment...I have to wonder on the torque wrenches if the manufacturer supplied damaged or seconds?

As for Snap-on, it is great when I used to get service by a truck at one of my aircraft facilities, but now the overhead to find a Snap-on vendor to service for broken tools on their "lifetime warranty" is simply too high. In St. Louis, I used to swing by the regional distribution center for warranty replacement, but that is when I drove by it on a regular basis.

Products Discussed in

To Top