1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Received my 2" Toytec Lift but I have a few questions...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drscott11, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jan 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    drscott11

drscott11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I realize that this and similar questions have been asked many times before but I just want to verify a few things before I have my lift installed. I've have read most of the threads regarding this topic and a few on other forums but I'm still not 100% sure.

2012 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab V6 4WD with factory suspension, 3-leaf non-tsb with overload. 265/70/17 AT's. The goal of this kit is to lift the truck 2", 2.5 max, overall to avoid having to buy UCA's and so that the truck will go back into alignment. The truck has a shell and the measurements below account for this.

Current clearance, measuring from center hub to fender's base: 20.5 F / 22 R

This is what I went with (2" add-a-leaf option): Toytec #BK0510
    036.jpg

Due to the warranty and lacking a proper jack, stands and a spring compressor, I'm opting to have this lift installed at a shop. They said they could do it but I want to make sure they understand exactly what to do.

The factory leaves have 35k on them but seem fine. The truck spends about 90% of the time on the road but goes off-road in moderate terrain on the weekends --- no Rubicon trail sort of stuff. I also tow occasionally but it's usually just a couple quads.

So the questions are:

A. What is the ideal way to install the lift and which settings should be used?

B. Will I have any issues with travel, bottoming out, etc?

C. Since the back is already 1.5" higher, and the leaf adds 2", is there any reason to remove the overload spring?

D. Am I missing any parts?

2. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:17 PM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    A. The easiest way to install them is to disassemble the sway bar link from the spindle then drop the two bolt that hold the spindle to the lower control arm. Then you can just drop the old, and put the new back in. As for the setting, the highest you can go is the second notch from the bottom, will give ~2.4" of lift. Leave it on the bottom setting and you will only get around 1.6" of lift, which will leave you with even more rake than you have now.

B. Being the business that they are, Toytec probably wouldn't build a kit that would open up issues of bottoming out. You would have alittle more down travel with new upper control arms, but you still shouldn't have any issues none the less. For what it is, it's a nice kit.

C. Since you've only done an add-a-leaf, I wouldn't recommend taking out the overload. If when you put the add-a-leaf in, and it and the already sub-par leaf pack wears out over time (because it will), you're gonna want that overload in there to prevent crazy sagging when you haul the smallest of things.

D. The only thing that kit doesn't come with is new top plates, which is absolutely no problem, as yours should still be in pristine shape since they're only 2-3 years old. The shop will swap them over in the process. Did you get a differential drop or did you opt out of that option?

3. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    drscott11

Member:
    Yes, diff drop was included as well as a spacer which I believe is to correct drivers side lean. 2.4"F / 2"B should be about perfect. I don't mind a slight rake as any load levels it out, though I don't want more that the 1.5" that I already have.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    The single spacer is in fact designed to correct the driver's side lean.

The reason I asked specificially about the diff. drop is because it is arguable as to whether or not it actually provides and benefit, because all it really does is rotates the front side of the differential down, so it makes it more vulnerable to destruction. As to whether or not you put it on, that's totally up to you, but if it was my personal vehicle I wouldn't have it installed.

5. Jan 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Another thing that's really important that the shop understands is the correct orientation of the spring seat. It's kinda easy to install it upside down. So make sure they do it right, or you could have issues.

6. Jan 9, 2015 at 10:56 PM
    drscott11

Member:
    Very good info and thank you for it. I downloaded Bilstein's mounting instructions which shows the correct spring seat direction. Good tip!

For those who may need it; 5100 Installation: 24-186988-installation-instructions.pdf

The diff drop was included, not extra, but if it's not necessary for my lift height then it seems like it would be better to leave it out.

Edit: Here's the finished lift; 2.5" F / 2" R
    IMG_1350.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top