1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Picked up an old air compressor and need help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rosscopeeko, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Rosscopeeko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I acquired an old compressor from a coworker for free the other day. I don't know much about it other than what the tank model plate says. It says it's a model c102.40-a and for parts contact simpson sears. The tank is rated for 200psi and is a 1956. It was run with no air filter for who knows how long in a shop. The motor says 3/4hp and is old. It spools up and the pump spins fine. I have a cracked manifold that comes off the tank where the relief valve, pressure guage, check valve all join together off the tank. I don't know the correct term for that part, but I need to order it. The drain petcock in the bottom of the tank is seized too. There is a copper line that is disconnected that runs from the tank to the check valve I believe. I think I need to hook this up, but my coworker said he never did and he ran it. He did mention it would kick his breaker out in his shop. This disconnected line might be the culprit. It is heavy. I'm hoping to use it to run some air tools. My coworker said it built pressure fine. I'll use a ball peen hammer on the tank and look for soft spots. Anyone know what this compressor is, and what it might put out cfm wise?

IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg

2. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Simpson-Sears = Sears Canada prior to 1984

3. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    No help here, but that thing is AWESOME!!! Good luck, and I hope you get it cleaned up and running.

4. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    I can't find any reference to the compressor, but the Simpson Sears name was last used in 1978, after which it became Sears Canada. This means the tank is at least 37 years old.
    Any pressure vessel that age is probably long overdue for testing or retirement. I would at the very least see if you can find a new tank.

5. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Devilbiss made compressors for sears at least until the late 1980's.

Finding parts is going to be impossible unless you cannibalize another old unit. Maybe you can find an old machinist willing to make a new manifold, if you're lucky.

6. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  7. Jan 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Yeah this thing is sweet. I plan on doing a home hydrostatic test once it warms up outside. Thanks for the help. I'm hoping the rings and cylinder are in good shape. Apparently the compressors back in the day were way better built. Hope it holds true with this one.

8. Jan 11, 2015 at 1:27 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Some things come to mind when you say the breaker trips. When the compressor starts from empty, there is no pressure in the tank or the compressor itself. Once the tank is up to pressure, the solenoid in the control box will shut the compressor off and the unloader will open. The unloader is important. If the compressor doesn't unload, then the next start up the compressor will have the same pressure as the tank and will use too much power to try and operate and will over amp and trip the breaker. There are a few culprits to this. First is the check valve being worn and backflowing from the tank to the compressor. You will hear the unloader constantly hissing until the compressor starts back up, then trip. Just replace the entire check valve, usually about $12. Second is the unloader line is blocked. This is a smaller line coming off of the middle of the check valve that goes in to the control box. Just remove it from the control box and check valve, and blow through it to see if it's blocked. If it is, either clean it out, or make a new one. The last, and more expensive thing is the control box. If it is malfunctioning and not unloading the compressor, then either tinker with it and see if you can make it work, or just get a new one. They are pretty much universal, some have more options than others. Personally, I don't think it's the control box. I think it is one of the first two, or a combination of the first two. And very importantly, get a guard for those moving parts. You dont need it starting up on someone who is too close to it and get a body part lacerated. Good luck with this, and if you need any more help diagnosing it, let me know.

9. Jan 11, 2015 at 1:52 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Are you even sure that this is the original compressor to the system? That compressor looks like a scavenged refrigeration compressor.

Whatever it is, it is not going to be a big CFM producer, It will run an impact just fine when the tank gets up to pressure, or air up tires, but I don't see it running any sanders or sandblasters before it won't be able to keep up.

Have you timed it to see how long it takes from 0 pressure to cut off pressure?

10. Jan 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    No I haven't run it yet for more than 5 seconds. I'm on dad duty most of the time looking after my daughter while the wife is at work, so it's been hard. I have to install the belt and I'll fire it up and time it. It has a leaky manifold, it's cracked. My friend who's a machinist, is going to make me a new one. I'm going to hook up the one way check valve line too.

I'm pretty sure it's the original motor and compressor head. It's not a refridgeration compressor. Thanks for the help guys. I'll report back once I get it up and running. I was hoping it woud do more than 8cfm at 90psi.

11. Jan 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I just ran the compressor. I opened up the drain petcock on the bottom of the tank and approximately 400ml of water came out, and also 400ml of rusty oil. I'm not sure if oil is getting from the pump to the tank, or if the previous owner dumped some oil in the tank. With a cracked manifold it took 12 minutes to get to 90psi. Terribly slow in my opinion. When I have my hand next to the discharge it feels as though it's pushing as much air as my makita mac2400. This thing might need a pump service- valve or reed replacement. I've never done this before. I might have to make new gaskets when I dismantle the pump, because I doubt I'll be able to buy them with it being this old.

12. Jan 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I forgot to mention, the tank is 4ft long x 16" diameter. Not sure how many gallons it is.

13. Jan 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

I think you have a 40 gallon tank.

14. Jan 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    After a little more reading I've found out this pump is significantly worn. The pump rings are allow oil to pass on to the compression stroke, and into the tank. I'll try and find parts.

15. Jan 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    It's worn mostly because it's been run without a filter. Do get a filter for it.

16. Jan 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

ebay may be a resource

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jan 11, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Filter for sure. I had my Machinist buddy look at it and he says it's worth fixing up. I'm gong to pull the head and check the valves first. My friend is machining a new manifold for me. The pump is a 2 cylinder. Looking forward to fixing it up. Thx for the help

18. Jan 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    It may be 2 cylinders, but it is still a single stage pump. Even with a valve and ring tune up, you will still have a slow pressure building pump. I hope your intention was not to think you can run high demand air tools. It will still may be great rig for the everyday tire air ups or impact gun use.

I would like to see that you do the hydro test before you start dropping a bunch of money into it. If the tank is bad, it will get spendy. In addition inspect/test/replace the pressure relif valve. They are pretty cheap, so just replace it is a good practice.

I love seeing old stuff being return to duty, but just make sure it is done safely. I can picture it now, new paint job to match your shop and wireing and you will have a winner.

19. Jan 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    My 60 gallon measures 16" x 48", so you probably have a 48 gallon tank. Does your pump have a manufacturer name or model number? Here is a free Campbell Hausfeld single stage compressor troubleshooting guide that might be helpful:

http://www.chpower.com/images/pdfs/manual01/603300_0801.pdf

20. Jan 14, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I found out on another forum that the pump is a Brunner a330. A low displacement 2.5 cfm. I had a new manifold built and tested it out. It took 17 minutes to reach 125psi. There was a slight leak from the relief valve. It runs quiet and smooth. I figure it's pumping out what it's designed to, so I'm not going to tear it down.

Products Discussed in

To Top