1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car and Driver hates Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by doingresearch, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    doingresearch

doingresearch [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I've been weighing whether to buy a Tacoma. I need a small/mid-size pickup which will be driven mostly on-road. To my surprise, the reviews arent that good!

What do you guys make of the Car & Driver reviews of the Tacoma? Here are the main negative points. Would the TRD "sports" package handle better on the road?

http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/tacoma

-Even light applications of the brake pedal cause the front brakes to grab and the Tacoma’s nose to dive

-doesn’t translate into good on-road braking performance, the stop from 70 mph consuming 200 feet.

- Grip is equally antediluvian, our driver recording a max of 0.66 g on our 300-foot skidpad.

And the long-term road test from back in 2005:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...uble-cab-4x4-v-6-long-bed-long-term-road-test

-spongy brakes

-All of us noted that the Tacoma's structure lacked adequate rigidity. By the truck's 40,000-mile mark, traversing a large bump would cause the body to quiver and the door seals to squeak. That, combined with the floppy suspension, made the Tacoma an unpopular choice for the drive home after work. Even by pickup standards, the Tacoma's chassis was less than precise.

2. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Wait for the new 2016's

3. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    I wouldn't take anything car and driver's says seriously. They have been accused of taking $$$ from manufacturers for 10 best, reviews, etc. biased opinions. I always try to talk to actual owners. I for one have had almost every brand and Toyota has been loads better than the rest and I am now on my 3rd 2nd gen taco. Great trucks, sure the 2016 will bring some great features, but go test drive a 15 to and if you like it consider it. They have certainly been proven to be reliable.

4. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I agree with their takes.

But I have more of a sports car background, just like they do.

My Tacoma does exactly everything I bought it to do.

If I want it to handle more like my prepped street/autox duty car, I'd do they same things to it I did to the car. Upgrade the brakes, stiffen the suspension, lower the vehicle, have sticker tires, reduce unsprung weight.

BTW, they said, many times over many years, that my autox marquee was one of the best bangs for the buck in the sports car world. It didn't do any exceptional either. But it did everything it was designed to pretty well.

Just like the Tacoma.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Spongy brakes and a questionable suspension is spot on though. Many threads here to support it.

6. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Car and driver sucks. Most of their reviews are garbage.

7. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I agree on the comment able the brakes being touchy. If you haven't driven my truck before (2013 OR) you'll bash your teeth into the steering wheel on the brakes.

I haven't been impressed with braking performance either. You have the quick grab, then nothing, but once you get used to it, it's not such a bad drive.

I don't find the grip to be particularly bad. Compared to my Mom's old Pathfinder, it's very inspiring, I always was concerned that I would put the Pathfinder on its doorhandles on highway on/off-ramps. I've caught up to more people on off-ramps with my truck, just don't overdrive it and enjoy it.

I had a subscription to BMW and Driver for almost 15 years and eventually I gave up with it. They kept changing formats and making it more flash, less about numbers. I did find them to be relatively biased, such that if a BMW was in the comparo test, it would win. Best heavy duty pickup? Ram vs. Chevy Duramax vs. Powerstroke? A BMW M3 is your best choice!

8. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Hahaha. Hasn't the 3 series been a top 10 best for like 15 years. lol.

9. Jan 17, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    It has been and probably has been deserved, but still, it got ridiculous.

There were times where the BMW had the highest price, lowest options, worst performance numbers and still won!

It got to the point I could predict the winner of the tests before I read the tests. That being said, I do miss the late 90s / early 00's editions just because I loved learned all about the cars.

10. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    I'd even say that the OEM suspensions on the Sport Tacoma are garbage. But again, I'm bias.

11. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    Car and Driver rated two American trucks over the Tacoma... What a joke. I would not read any further!

12. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Yes, but it can be dramatically better without too terrible an investment.

Less than $1000 into mine got me new leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s all around, and OME coils. All of which improved handling substantially by getting rid of the floaty feeling.

I find this funny too:

Sounds like they think it's a bedliner. ...and "kept items from sliding around"? Really? That bed is incredibly slick.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Wait for the 2016's

14. Jan 17, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    CAR and driver. Why are they even talking about trucks? Pack of shitheads IMO. They may have some integrity is they called it Truck and Driver. But alas it is not. They know nothing of trucks.

15. Jan 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    sorry

16. Jan 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    so after 2012 the Taco got better front calipers but I found adding stainless steel brake lines added feel and control of the brakes.. the early 2005+ were dogs and people put tundra calipers on the brakes.

Stock suspension kinda blows.. some cheap OME solves that... or the sport edition, the TRD edition was too rough I changed out my suspension. if you are looking at this late in the game hold out to till the new trucks release

17. Jan 18, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    The offrpad brakes are way different from the sport brakes. The off road does grab oddly. They go from slight braking to hard braking.

The sport has normal brakes. Pressure applied to the pedal is what you get to the brakes.

18. Jan 18, 2015 at 5:55 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.

I'm wondering how many tortuous miles that test truck had on it!?

I do NOT trust C&D's reviews, never have. They just gave TOTY awards to a Chevy Colorado that was just introduced a few weeks before. Certainly it's not received with durability and reliability in mind, since it's so new.

The award was given to those twins (GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado) because they look neat-o. Time will tell if the award was deserved.

19. Jan 18, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Why look for truck ratings in a car mag? Go to Consumer Reports, they hate it, think it should ride like a car. Car people that rate trucks are the reason we have IFS and garbage like that. Trucks ride like trucks....Hmmm.

20. Jan 18, 2015 at 6:01 AM
    Taco gator

Taco gator Taco with 6.5" front 0" rear lift

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 2wd Taco
    6.5" Spindle/5100 lift front lift
    Isn't Car and Driver British owned/based?

Products Discussed in

To Top