1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slide-in truck campers

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Turkey Run, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Nov 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    Turkey Run

Turkey Run [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi,

My goal is to camp/travel for several weeks each year. Summer 2015 will be driving to Alaska from western PA.

I have a 4x4, double cab, long bed Tacoma and am looking at slide in campers. It would be great to hear from those who have experience with truck campers. I have experience tent camping but like the idea of sleeping off the ground, not setting tent up and taking down, especially in wet weather.

What kind of camper do you have?
    What, if any, modifications did you make to the truck to support the camper?
    What do you like best? What would you like to change?
    How does your camper tie down?
    Other thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thank you

2. Jan 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    What kind of camper do you have?
    -Northern Lite 6'10" Import Camper

What, if any, modifications did you make to the truck to support the camper?
    - I added Timbren SES HD bumpstops. When the camper is on, the back settles about an inch onto the bumpstops then basically rides on those. It makes for a surprisingly smooth and stable ride when the camper is on, and has not impact on the ride quality when the truck is not loaded. I am happy with this solution. It took 20 mins to install them and the were something like $150. I look to add a 2-2.5" lift in the future so this setup will change but I have been using it for almost a year and am happy with it. For what it's worth, I have the TRD Sport which has a little stiffer suspension than TRD off road, or the standard non TRD.

What do you like best?
    morning sex with my hot wife on rainy days.

What would you like to change?
    I would like to swap OZ's long bed for a short bed without him knowing.

How does your camper tie down?
    I used Tork Lift mounts on front and jerry rigged a hitch insert for the rear. 2" insert with a 1.5" square that parallels the bumper welded to it, with anchor points at either end. In retrospect I probably should have just gone with Tork Lift front and back. I wanted to limit the amount of shit I bolted to the frame though - it's just a place for the paint and undercoating to wear off, and for salt and shit to collect and ruin my truck.

Other thoughts or suggestions welcome.
    - Fiberglass campers. They cost a lot more but are much much lighter, don't develop leaky roofs, hold their value (like a boler) and are generally awesome. I paid about 6,000 for a 1992 camper and can probably sell it for that in 4 years. They run about 26,000 new before all the add-ons, but are found used and in perfect condition for under 10.
    - 10 ply tires if you do get one. They will add piece of mind, blow out protection, and stiffen up the ride in a good way.

Have a look at my thread.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...t-slide-truck-camper-suspension-upgrades.html

Any questions feel free to ask.

photo.jpg
    photo 4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. Jan 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. Jan 20, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  5. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    Turkey Run

Member:
    Neverstuck,

Thanks for the info, had not thought about the fiberglass option and will look into it. Your thread is also helpful as I learn lots about my truck and future slide in. Well, many happy days of camping and fishing will be worth it! :)

6. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    Turkey Run

Member:
    Hi Oz,

Why do you suggest Four Wheel Campers?

I am heading out to look at Four Wheel Campers at a dealer that opened on the east coast a couple months ago, YEA! Truck campers are few and far between in this part of the country, mid Atlantic, east coast.

Most of my friends have not heard of them, once I describe the camper they seem to think I am a bit crazy to want to travel with one. It is going to be great!

Thanks
    :)

7. Jan 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

From doing some research they seem to be well made , offer great options and I like the idea that they collapse down for travel

8. Jan 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    loosnut

loosnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jerry
    feasterville pa
    Vehicle:
    06 dbl cab long bed
    ome 2.5lift leer cap
    Look up DRAINBUNG, ive seen his in person, its badass.

9. Jan 20, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    AWalker

AWalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Tacoma Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB SR5
    O.M.E 885 Dakars nitros Snugtop allpro skids allpro bumper 4X inovations sliders Jayco pop up camper Torklift tiedowns
    Had a 1994, I believe the last year they were made, Jayco sportster 7' pop up. Needed a pop up so it would fit in my garage. Weighed around 1200 lbs I think. OME Dakar's took care of the extra weight perfect. Used Torque Lift tie downs front and back. Would love to have it back but way to cozy when the second kid came. Fourwheel campers are awesome If it's in the budget, wasn't in mine.

10. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    Pete1948

Pete1948 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    07 4wd SR5
    I have a slide-in thats over 1200lbs. Drove from Pa to Co and back. Rode fine. Watched temp gage. No overtemp.

11. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Had a class C for a few years, hated it. Sold it and went back to a folding trailer. I won't go back to a travel vehicle and living quarters in one situation.

12. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    Pete1948

Pete1948 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    07 4wd SR5
    You make a good point. I travel in summer and tow my VW trike on a trailer otherwise when I set up camp I would be stuck. I confess I have a lot to learn about traveling n camping.

13. Jul 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM
    TreeGo

TreeGo Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L V6 4x4 Xtracab Manual White Taco
    Hi,

Late to this thread, but I have a 1994 Bigfoot 6-11 import camper (very similar to the NL 6-10 mentioned above). Dry weight is around 1080lbs, but the last owner took out the water heater and tank so probably weighs considerably less. It too is a 2-piece fiberglass clam shell design like the NL.

Only mods on my 2003 Taco were to add some Timbren SESs, which are great (see picture below - no sag - around $160 Cdn.). I have Billis tie downs in the front (specific to the 1st gen Taco) and a custom bar tie down which fits in the hitch.

My BF 6-11 3.jpg

14. Dec 22, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Reviving an old thread. Definitely something I’m considering on doing. Looking to go full time in my truck and I don’t think my camper shell will cut it.

15. Dec 22, 2019 at 9:37 PM
    Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 extended cab reborn!
    Complete OME suspension kit, Used low mileage V6 engine swap, black powder coated Chou Seiki T15x7JJ, ARB deluxe bumper, Smitty Bilt nerf bars, Weathertech floor liners, Torklift tiedowns
    You can! You'll have to find a camper that will fit on your Tacoma that isn't overweight or too big, get a spray in bedliner like Line X (avoid camper sliding around in the bed, tie downs (popular ones are either Happi Jac or Torklift), upgraded leaf springs/shocks/16" wheels/Load range E tires.

This is my camper in the picture below. The upgraded 16" wheels, Load range E tires, spray in bedliner, & Torklift tie down installation will be coming later on next year.

IMG_0073.jpg

HighCouncil and QMEDJoe[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:20 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I think I pretty much have everything you listed. The first thing I did to my truck (other than sound proof it and upgrade the sound system) was to Line X the bed. I just bought my 2nd pair of KO2’s , I do have the All pro expedition leaf springs but I think they’re only rated at 500 lbs, Id most likely have to call Alcan and get a custom pair based on the model I choose. I was looking at Overlanding campers and those things are not cheap at all!!! A good quality one is priced at around $40k! For that price I would just buy a T4R TRD pro...

Hamer95USA[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    4943EE40-35D5-4B3E-BB0F-0DE194E12855.jpg BBB6B668-13B8-479E-9A50-7414115D3673.jpg
    Wicked thread revival.... but this option wasn’t around when the thread started so what the heck.

Here’s my Alu-Cab Khaya, 1100lbs wet, pops up so the profile is low for MPG’s and clearance. Indoor stove, sink, diesel furnace, hot water heater, 22 gallons fresh water, outdoor shower, 270 awning, privacy shelter, and with the addition of my newly acquired Wrappon Green Toilet it’s 100% an RV in a 5ft bed.

I’m running 7 OME leaf springs out back (+660lbs), plus a set of Firestone Ride Rites, and OME 886X coils up front. Runs great, only change coming is the 5.29 gears this spring.

I thought this was a great alternative with a bit more “Offroad” focus than a traditional camper, all aluminum construction, 200W solar, charging system it’s a really bombproof setup for what it is. We’ve been very happy.
    D484A268-E28D-40A7-A603-769B4383BB6D.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Definitely going to check them out. How much are they(if you don’t mind me asking) on a ball park figure?

19. Dec 23, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    So they’re anywhere from 16k all the way up to almost 40k installed with Taxes paid... a lot I know. If you’re at all interested OK4WD’s website has a building tool that shows you all the options. Mine is very well set up but you can go more spartan too if that’s your thing. Either way it’s the most robust truck camper I’ve ever seen. Built to last a lifetime. I’ve been more than impressed so far.

Hamer95USA and tundraconvert like this.
  20. Jan 15, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    JasonArizona

JasonArizona Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2014 TuRD
    YOTA 4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top