1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you like taking your Tacoma on road trips?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shwaa, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    I see a lot of people complain about the interior and general comfort of their Tacoma (seats etc...)

How many of you actually enjoy taking your truck on longer road trips? Is there a certain point where it becomes too much? I took mine on a 3000+ mile trip a few months ago and loved it. At the end I was kinda tired of the driving, but I think that would go for any truck/car though.
    My last car was a Matrix and it sucked for anything longer then commuting. So uncomfortable. I guess it's what you have to compare it against...

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I've driven 4 Tacomas over nearly 25 years and over 300,000 miles. It never gets old and I look forward to road trips every time.

Az

3. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Nothing better than hittn the road!

If my truck had aftermarket exhaust, I would hate it. I can't stand the constant droning sound.

4. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes except for the gas bill

5. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    My wife's car stays at home ... I really enjoy driving my Tacoma on trips.

6. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    Ravic

Ravic Artisan in DIY mods

Member:
    First Name:
    TP
    North Augusta, SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSBMGM OR 4x4
    DIY Mods-BHLM, Plastidip Rims (now spares), color matched Grille, Plate Bumper, bilstein set @2.5 (self installed no spring compressor), 2" Rough Country AAL, LR UCAs. Non DIY- 285/75r16 duratracts, procomp 7031.
    I have a 2013 DCSB offroad 4x4 and a 2013 528i BMW. Taken both on many road trips on the east cost. While obviously the beamer is superior for comfort I love taking the taco and have Bo complaints on comfort. My wife hates taking the taco but I think that's because she's not tall enough to enjoy the view, and maybe because im much more likely to randomly fly off on to a random trail for an hour... Anyway.. We don't take the truck that often these days..

7. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    12MGM

12MGM Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DCSB Off Road Package
    Westin Nerf Bars, Weathertech Floor Mats, Carhartt Seat Covers, Salex Center Console Organizer, Bed mat
    I got my first Tacoma this past September and my wife and I took our first road trip from VA up to visit her parents a couple of weeks ago in Pennsylvania. I thought the truck was as comfortable to ride in as any car I've ever been in and the gas mileage isn't horrible either. They live in the mountains and the weather in Pennsylvania was snowy and dipping down at night to -2 or -3. The truck is a PreRunner with the Off Road package and I know it gets picked on for not being a 4x4 but I thought it handled the snow great. We used to go to FL all the time but we haven't been down there in a couple years. I'm looking forward to whenever we do and I'm looking forward to that being in the Tacoma.

8. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oxnard, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM TRD OR DCSB V6 4x4
    Leer XQ100, Toyota Skid Plate, Weather Tech Vent Shades, Firestone 2407 Airbags
    I purchased my TACO in March 2014 and have 18K on her. Been to Colorado twice. Just came back from San Fran. Wonderful on the road.

9. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:14 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    ^^ You got me beat by a month. I got my 2014 in February of last year and it has 18k on it now. Been all around Texas and over to New Orleans once. I love it and it's grown on my fiancee as our road trip car. Not to mention the "go (almost) anywhere" factor helps its case.

10. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    OKJC

OKJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NWArkansas
    Vehicle:
    '10 SC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Furthest I've gone in my Tacoma is 1700 miles round trip, but I frequently do small 200 to 300 mile trips and I love it. It's fun to get it cleaned up and ready to enjoy for the long haul. A shell or roof rack would help with loading though, considering im trying to take at least three of these with me, plus camping equipment.

[​IMG]

11. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Probably more if it had buckets. I have no problem with it - beats the shit out of my last truck in every respect of comfort - but my wife sure does. But yeah, San Diego -> Vegas twice, loved it both times.

12. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    You can eliminate the drone with a resonator. I put a "Vibrant Ultra Quiet" resonator in the front pipe and road trips are enjoyable.

13. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Yes.

Ive had my truck for about a year and a half and have done a few trips with it. Most of them are short, roughly 200-300 mile, hunting and fishing trips. Ive taken it from PGH to Ocean City once as well.

This past weekend we took it from PGH to Detroit for NAIAS. This was the first road trip we've taken with the truck since I installed the TRD exhaust and Duratracs.

I was dreading this trip as I expected the exhaust to drone and the tires to hum for the whole 600 miles.

I was pleasantly surprised. The exhaust didnt drone at all on the highway save for on-ramps and the tires are quieter at 75mph then they are at 45mph. The 6 speed manual is geared a bit weird so the RPMs are a little high at highway speeds, but Ive gotten used to it.

The TRD seats are very comfortable. Almost as the Recaro seats in my VW. The cab spacious enough for 2 of us and luggage to be comfortable.

My old lady has a 6 speed manual JK Unlimited on 33" tires and its the worst vehicle ever for road trips. The gearing is so tall and its so under powered, you're constantly shifting, even on highways. Any time you come to any kinda of incline you have to downshift into 5th or 4th. Sometimes when driving it, I even find myself shifting down into 3rd gear on the highway to climb a hill.

She also has a 4 cylinder 5 speed VW Jetta, we typically use this car anytime we travel in the summer because of the terrific gas mileage.

14. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs
    done some long trips with her and have no complaints other than fuel mileage. In the summer I use my GTI, bit more fun to drive

15. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    Worstbullet

Worstbullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Franklin,TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pelfreybilt hybrid front bumper, Allpro rear bumper, OME 3" lift, Goodyear Wranglers
    I've only taken 2 so far. One was from TN to NM, and the other from TN to OH. But looking forward to taking her back to New Mexico this summer.

16. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    Everything is good on road trips, except the seat. It really needs a height / angle adjustment. I have shimmed the rear of the seat up and hope that helps.

17. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    I'm a teacher. Summers are for road trips. Wife has a Rav-4. We always take the Tacoma, and on long road trips I let her drive it a little.

18. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I drove my taco 1300 miles this past long weekend. Down to Moab to Page Az. North rim of Grand Canyon up through Escalante. 5 days. Doing it again in 3 weeks. No problem

19. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I really enjoy my truck on longer trips. Well, caveat; I haven't taken to 2012 on anything more than a trip to surrounding states; but I drove my 2004 all over the US - longest was from Columbus, Ohio to Nampa, Idaho and back.

I find the truck adequately comfortable, I like the 5 speed 'cause it connects you with the road better, with the 6' bed you can drag whatever gear you want along, and you can pretty much go on any surface in any weather as you care to explore along the way. Add a cap and you can sleep in the truck along the way.

Plus I got like 45 cupholders for liquid intake and urinary output.

20. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    woodyc

woodyc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Access Cab 4x4 TRD
    Sway Away 2.5 " Coilovers Sway Away rear shocks Dakar rear leafs (3rd leaf removed) Snug Top Sport Highliner Shell Thule Racks Toyota Bed Mat Weather Tech Floor Liners
    The Tacoma 14 access cab trd OR 4x4 isn't as comfortable as our 06 4Runner Sport (2 wd) but once we get there we can go anywhere we want! Longest one day trip was about 550 miles and by then the Taco seats were gettin kinda old.

Products Discussed in

To Top