1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low RPM + Oil Light

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StAndrew, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jan 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    You reset your idle with it all hooked up and vaccum leaking there at the PCV?.

2. Jan 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I didnt reset idle, no. The ECU might need to self adjust :notsure: Im going to pull the TB out and clean it and the IAC next weekend. Idle should be fine then. Engine still runs very smooth though.

3. Jan 23, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Strange that a vac leak would effect oil pressure, idle speed yes. Many of those cans come with vac leaks at no extra charge.

4. Jan 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Its not the can, its the PCV valve. Had a very rough idle for as long as I can remember but I never noticed until I installed my can. I initially ran it with a vent and just capped the intake manifold but the blow by gasses were getting into my vents.

I decided to clean up the PCV valve and hook the can back up to the intake. Didnt have the horrible idle so I figured the valve wasn't leaking anymore. I guess it still was :notsure:

Don't know why it was causing the oil light to come on, just happy its off :thumbsup:

5. Jan 23, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Yep, even the ones that require a loan to own. Vac pumps also,,there not immune. Try and find that leak off with a billet unit that's not supposed to,,sucks bigtime, literally.

6. Jan 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Yep, in my case the can had way in excess of 60 machined surfaces, I lost count. A good deal of them were for aesthetics yet they couldn't provide a simple groove for the only o-ring in the entire thing. What a joke.

7. Jan 24, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    I paid 10$ for an ebay can, and did another $10 in mods... Retarded that ppl still pay $50+ for catch cans :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It is not even slightly unusual for the pressure switch to go bad with age you need to hang a gauge on it, talk is cheap find out first if there really is a problem. They are not known for oil pressure issues. It should about stall before the light comes on no matter what is causing it .

9. Jan 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Worn tool chatter on a very thinly machined surface caused microscopic stress cracks that opened when warmed up. That pump made several trips across the continent trying to get it right.

10. Jan 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    NSDON

NSDON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    NS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4X4 Step Side
    Now that your idle is higher, your oil pressure light won't come on. Whatever was causing the light to come on is still there, if the rpm drops back down.
    But, like was said, get a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Maybe the sensors are that sensitive that they come on below 600RPM, normally. Doesn't sound right to me, but who knows.

Don

11. Jan 24, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Problem was fixed :notsure:
    RPM's are lower now, not higher :notsure:

Could be the overall crank pressure was off due to my setup. A positive or negative crank pressure may affect overall oil pressure :notsure:

12. Jan 25, 2015 at 4:51 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The engine is vented there is no+ or - other wise the PVC would suck all the seals and gaskets out or the combustion pressure would blow them out.

13. Jan 25, 2015 at 5:01 AM
    NSDON

NSDON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    NS
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4X4 Step Side
    I missed the word LOWER and was remembering your earlier posts where you thought it was idling at about 500 when the oil light came on. If its now idling LOWER than that 500 and the oil light is not coming on, you must have good oil pressure.
    If your idle was so "jumpy" that you weren't sure what the idle was, that would likely have been a vacuum leak issue somewhere in the intake area, like a PCV, bad intake gasket, etc.
    Is your idle now stable? The tach needle should hardly move when it idles, it should not bounce all over the place.

Don

14. Jan 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Not exactly. The blow by would give it a positive pressure thus needing the PCV (positive crank vent) valve to release. Crank pressure should be slightly higher than atmospherics I would think. I don't know much more beyond this except to say when the catch can is hooked up, oil light comes on at idle.

So Im assuming somehow the crank pressure is lowered or even negative. Since the oil pan shares the same atmospherics as the crank, maybe the negative pressure is creating a suction action on the oil and working against the oil pump? I may be over thinking this...
    Idle was/is smooth and not very jumpy. Tach needle didnt move at all :notsure:

I'm going to chock this one up as a mystery for now; making my head hurt.

15. Jan 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    "maineah" is absolutely correct.

The system is wide open to filtered atmospheric pressure air. This "open" point is the hose running from the rear of the intake tube just ahead of the t-body to the rear of the driver side valve cover. The PCV valve works on manifold vacuum not pressure. It allows a small controlled amount of manifold vacuum to draw blow by gasses out of the engine at the pass side valve cover while fresh filtered air is allowed to enter at the driver side valve cover. Hence the crankcase is ventilated.
    Finding oil in that inlet hose ahead of the t-body is a dead giveaway of a malfunctioning PCV valve or a worn engine producing more blow by volume than the valve can handle.

That's not retarded, below is retarded.:rolleyes: Both of these set ups are doing absolutely nothing other than taking up space and causing problems. Sort of funny no one picked up on this in the guys build thread.
    BADCAN1_zps450e0fc9_20860c2559054f39da1c78446dfae986ef076581.jpg

BADCAN2_zpsd71564a2_5dc152b38e56dcf9531064a622b5be39679f2abb.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top