1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Pack or Air Bags

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GreatCanadian, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    That sounds like a cool setup! Are you running stock suspension?

2. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    I have stock non-TSB springs in the rear with single leaf AAL to level. Front is 5100s with 886s. Airbags are setup for load assist only, not to lift.

3. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I used 35 psi when I hauled a very heavy pontoon boat that I rented. ive also added air a few times when hauling firewood in a 5x10 trailer loaded over the top while having my truck bed full of camping gear and 4 adults in the truck. Just hauling the firewood, I rarely added air. I also hauled a heavy Uhaul dual axle trailer once that was pretty heavy and a car trailer with a frame and drivetrain on it.

My 2014 is stock with no bags and it rides great, even pulling my 16' boat. My 2006 had the bags and I kept 5psi in them. The ride was slightly firm and had less body roll than stock. On occasion an unknowing passenger would ask if I had air shocks since they noticed the firmer ride. As an every day driver, you really didn't notice much ride difference. You will however notice it every time that you go over a speed bump

Air ride now makes a bag with internal snubbers that you can run at zero psi. That interests me but having not seen them, I can't comment on the quality as compared to the Firestones.

Btw, you can run 100 psi in RideRites. It would take a better man than me to do so though...lol.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Running 35 psi to level truck is going to result a in a very rough ride. Lift truck with springs, suport load with air.

5. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Gearheadsw, I agree with your statement, I think its a good analogy. Overcompensating with air will give you a horrible ride. Adding a little capacity or leveling out a little bit with air is fine. Too much and your riding a Harley hard tail with every hit going up your spine.

6. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm leaning toward the airbags, but not 100% convinced yet. Anyone have a good suggestion of where to buy the airbags (or leaf packs as well) in Canada. Not a big deal as I can have them shipped to my sister in the US if I have to buy them there.

7. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    Big Si

Big Si Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road Black Sand Pearl
    Made a bunch of stuff black.
    I have a 2008 off road, suspension totally stock non TSB. I couldn't even look at the bed without major sag and bottoming out. I added Ride-rites and I swear by them. I run them with about 8 psi, and in my opinion the ride is way better. The difference it makes when towing is just ridiculous. I can't believe I even towed without them. I've been thinking about leveling the front, and when I do I think I will add the Daystar cradles.

8. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New York
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 TRD Sport 2017 SR5 4Runner
    Toytec 1/2 spacers, A.R.E Z, Firestone airbags
    I had a set of Alcan HD leaf springs that raise the rear only 3/4 but allow for a level ride with my atv in the bed on an older Taco. They rode great with weight in the back but when unloaded the sometimes were a little too stiff (city driving really). This time around I went with the Firestone airbags because I didn't want a stiffer ride. You can fine tune them to what you want. I usually use 12 PSI for daily driving (I have a cap before it I ran around 10 PSI) and 15 to 17 PSI for towing. All things considered I prefer the airbags unless my leaf pack was worn out. And never liked my aal...new leaf pack is hands down the better option.

9. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I run both.
    Currently have OME Dakar leafs with Firestone airbags.
    In another day or three I'll be swapping out the Dakars for AllPro Expeditions, adding Daystar cradles, and doing a shackle flip.
    Afaik, you only need the cradles if you're lifting.

My needs are vastly different than yours. 50% of my miles are off-road, usually expedition style (GOBS of weight!). My normal, around-town curb weight is 5,000#. I've got armor, big tires, OBA, and all kinds of other weight-adding stuff. All of it adds up to the need for a leaf pack (normal daily driving, and light off-roading) AND air bags (when I do my week-plus-long trips with all the gear and supplies).

If your primary concern is occasional use for weight, go with airbags.
    If you find yourself regularly carrying more weight than that cooler of beer you mentioned, then go with a leaf pack.

Frankly, I would bet a sixer that you will eventually want to upgrade your leafs no matter what you decide on now. The stock leafs are just terrible, and you'll discover how bad over time. If you go with airbags now, you'll likely end up adding leafs later. If you do leafs now, you may decide they do just what you want and opt not to do airbags at all.

10. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    I have been running Ride Rites on a first Gen Tundra (very close in size to a 2nd gen Taco) for about 10 years. I have had zero issues with them and love the versatility. I run 5-10psi normally with a medium load at all times. When I haul wood and such I bump them to 25-30psi. They work great all around for my use and I would put them on my Taco should it end up needing them.

11. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    lockwire24

lockwire24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2012 MG DBL cab LB TRD sport
    Cobra CB, Firestik II w/ Relentless hood mount, 4x Innovation sliders, Level 8 tracker pro, TRD exhaust, home made grill insert, Leer XR, led bed lights, King shocks, LR uca, Pelfreybuilt front/rear bumpers and skid plates, B.A.M.F. rear shock relocate.
    The ride was to me was good. I originally did have a space lift but swapped it out when the stock leafs wore out after just loading the quad 3x's. I just added the dakar aal recently to help with the added weight. Now I leave 5 psi to be used as bump stop until after the shackle flip kit is installed.

12. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    Tacoma Dave

Tacoma Dave Long time lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oakley, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 xtra cab trd
    2004 trd off road 4X4, 265 75 r16 bfg at, bilstein 5100 all around front at 1in, rear firestone ride rite air bags
    To be honest i dont know. Others will have to chime in on this one. But it would help alot from bottoming out under loads where stock leafs would. But i dont know under what weight would the 3 leaf aal bottom out.

13. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    To leaf or to airbag is a complicated choice. Too much leafs and the ride is rough, too much airbag and it's bouncy. I have 300 lbs in my bed at all times, up to about 1100 lbs. I run Dakars with the D29XL extra leaf and ride rite airbags. The ride is a bit rough but with my payload, and bad road conditions that I deal with, I have no choice for such a HD setup.

I got a feeling that the best combo would be to have shocks with adjustable rebound to fine tune the ride with airbags and use better leafs than the stock crap.

14. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Airbags with Daystar cradles on 2+1 non tsb, running 30 psi for daily driving to give a bit of rake with all the weight in the rear and 5100s set at 1.75

15. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    williams63

williams63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    boss-c/o, boss rear leafs

the only problem with lifting the back and not the front is that the back may sit to high when your not hauling or towing. I have the wheelers 3 leaf hd pack and after install it sat to high for me but I did plan on lifting the front. just gave me an reason to do it sooner.

16. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:47 AM
    williams63

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
  17. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:50 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    One more question about the Daystar cradles. Do I need them if I rarely go off road, but do spend a fair bit of time on dirt (gravel) roads with lots of potholes and bumps.

18. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:56 AM
    williams63

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    I lifted the front 2.5" and it looks almost level but when I would tow my camper it would sit lower in the back so I added the ride rite bags and use them when I tow it with about 15-20psi. when im not towing I have it about 8-10psi. I do have plans on buying a new leaf pack soon Dakar or Boss and then see if I still need the bags when I tow.

19. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    I installed 5100's on all four corners with the fronts set at 1.75" on stock coils. I'm on the stock 3+1 rear leafs. I also have a slim tool box in the bed, which is pretty full. That resulted in some noticeable reverse rake. I bought a set of barely used ride-rites and daystar cradles for a great price from another member here. I have about 18lbs in the drivers side and about 11lbs in the passenger side. That has me perfectly level and, in my opinion, I love the ride. I have yet to take it off road, but once I get some new tires, I'll be ready. I wanted to be able to level the truck, haul a load, and still have full suspension articulation whenever I felt like it. '13 sport for reference.

20. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    williams63

Member:
    First Name:
    chili
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2011 dblcb
    IMG_0092.jpg

one more pic. this was with the wheelers hd 3leaf. stock leaf pack non tsb. sat a little to high for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top