1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are TRD parts worth anything?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brjw, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    Brjw

Brjw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon

lol yeah. There's a reason I sold the Jeep ;)
    3 years of pregnancy issues with the wife, finally had a daughter after another complicated pregnancy, born six weeks early, 3 weeks in the NICU. Sold the Jeep, motorcycle, all of my toys. Buying a new 2500 sq ft house now. So yeah it's "only" $1000 but if I don't need/want anything that comes with it, it's money I can spend on something else. Like gas, super charger, diapers, day care....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Jan 27, 2015 at 2:23 PM
    Brjw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon

Let's see, how to spend $30k in parts.... Yeah the custom camper top was around $7500. Initially a 3.5" suspension lift, 5 - 17" AEV wheels, 35" KM2s, then high end adjustable control arms, then all HD metal rod end and chromoly tie rod, drag link, track bars, frame brace upgrades and bolt upgrades. Custom front and rear drive shafts. 4.88 gears, ARBs, Teraflex HD44 front axle housing, Reid high steer knuckles, HD metal on metal ball joints, RCV chromoly axleshafts, Spod w/ custom carling switches, ARB compressor and underhood mount, Bumper, Warn Zeon 10s winch, upgraded fairlead, Trucklite LED head lights, JW speaker LED fog lights, window tint, floor mats, hood straps, exhaust. Umm I could keep going but you probably get the idea. It was supposed to be a more simple build that got out of hand. I quickly found all of the weak spots on that rig, and kept chasing my tail fixing the weak link.

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 2:28 PM
    Brjw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon

Sorry to hear that. Two different automotive type accidents have taken their toll on me. I'll check out the TRD seats. My wife's VW Golf TDI is the only seat that has worked that well for me. 600 mile range in that car and I can actually drive that car through a full tank. Well bolstered and supportive.

4. Jan 27, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Only to turn around and get low balled on it, or recoup MAYBE 50% of the money you put into it.

5. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    Brjw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Yeah around 67%. I used the shit out of it though, had an awesome 5 week camping/wheeling trip around the southwestern states including Moab and surrounding areas. Tons of wheeling and camping trips and it was an awesome rig. I planned to keep the Jeep for a long time but it was so problematic and I couldn't figure out how a family of three could camp in it. No regrets, it was a fun rig and I enjoyed it anyway. I have a horrible habit it dumping a ton of money into rigs and getting bored of them 2 years later, starting over again. You could say it is one of my hobbies I guess! haha

Anyway the goal (as always) is to set up a Tacoma for a longer term rig that will fulfill the needs and still be fun. I fly to Louisiana for 14 days of work, then back home for 14 days. So while it will be my "daily" at home, I won't be commuting. Just camping, biking, hiking, beach and snowboarding trips etc. I want it to be comfortable for highway cruising with the family, blast down extended rough/washboard roads at high speed, occasional crawling duties in remote areas, comfortable four season camping and all that good stuff. Planning to have the dealer install a supercharger before delivery as the Tacoma already feels a little underpowered and undergeared off the lot. Still waiting for the house deal to go through first though so I have a little time to decide what exactly I want to buy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    If you want a FWC then you are buying the wrong truck. The Fleet and the Eagle are each about 825 lbs dry. Let's say you are a svelte 170, your spouse 110 and your kid 50. The three of you, the FWC and absolutely nothing else puts you at 1155 already. Ignore the BS payload numbers on the Toyota website and actually go look at the door sticker on a 4x4 DCLB and you'll find it at around 1050 payload. So you will be 100 lbs over GVWR before you bring water, food, recovery gear, bedding, clothes - basically anything.

FWCs on Tacomas are a sham. They are way, way too heavy for a Tacoma. You'll beat the living shit out of the thing, especially since you say you want to fly down washboard with this top-heavy, overloaded, about to collapse chassis.

If you like Toyota go look at the Tundras for a FWC. For a Tacoma you need a RTT or a Flip Pac. FWC too heavy.

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    Brjw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Let's just say I know and understand the weight limits and implications. Been there and done the same thing in half ton pickups. Slightly over gvwr there too but with a higher overall weight and modified to work extremely well. Personally know several four door Tacoma owners with four wheel campers.

I guess I'll just go back and edit posts because I was asking a simple question and not soliciting additional advice in general. ;)

Thanks for the advice though.

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Welcome to Tacoma World...where they will pick you apart on every detail

9. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Jeeps be pricey to pop top. I'd never do it. Hard to get to resell. I saw another dude had 50 k in his. His wife shot him for the insurance money. True story, on own network, 48 hours.kidding.

Logically a pop top jeep is to off-road what This is to living the dream.
    [​IMG]

10. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Or, he can dump a couple grand into suspension and bam, payload increased substantially.

11. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:41 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    As long as you know.

Well one good thing about having mentioned the FWC is that we can point out the nav antenna is a fin at the very rear of the cab. The FWC overhangs the cab significantly. In general covering an antenna with a giant metal ground plane makes it not work so well. So before spending dollars on the nav I'd go see if anyone has an FWC with on board nav and if it actually works.

Not legally. Practically of course you can effectively increase the useful payload with suspension, brakes, etc. etc. But GVWR is GVWR stated by the manufacturer no matter what you modify on the truck. Sounds like the OP is well versed in this already and is happy to run over GVWR.

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 1:56 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean not legally? You came to the wroooooong website if you're worried about modifying suspension and "breaking the law" by adding a heavy duty leaf pack.

Products Discussed in

To Top