1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me out with picking an exhaust/cold air intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by LXAbuckeye, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    LXAbuckeye

LXAbuckeye [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cleveland/Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    3 inch OME lift, BFG All-Terrains NWTI front plate bumper, KC LZRs mounted on Relentless Fab mounts, color-matched 2011 honeycomb grille, Spyder halo headlights, Depo LED tail lights, 2012 A/C and heater controls, 2012 touch screen headunit
    Hey y'all,

I'm thinking about getting a new exhaust for my 2008 Tacoma(V6) this summer. That being said, I'm not looking for a simple muffler swap. I want a full cat-back exhaust system. I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 different systems. The first is the Flowmaster American Thunder, the second is the TRD cat-back exhaust, and the third is a Borla cat-back exhaust. My goal is to have a throaty sound all around, with a deeper rumble to it at idle/low RPMs, and to have a sound that's not too ricey at higher RPMs. Going off of what I want, which of those 3 do you think would be the best system for what I want? Also, I'm open to new systems if you think there's a better one out there, or if you're running a custom setup and think your truck sounds good.

Also, what're your guys' opinions on cold air intakes? I've read mixed things about whether they work or not. And if they do work, which one will give me the best HP increase and sound without being too outlandishly expensive?

2. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Magnaflow off road pro series, afe stage 2 si

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM
    VerendusVir

VerendusVir Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09' 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB (Silver)
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Look into TRD for both. Fantastic pairing and loved the sound, no drone, on my 2011.
    Good Luck.

5. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    The stock intake is a restriction due to its baffles/silencers/chambers (whatever u wanna call em) that it uses to keep things quiet. Its built for cabin comfort, not performance.

6. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    The TRD intake (new one with plastic lid) is known to cause lean conditions because k&n based the design off of the wrong OEM intake tube.

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    Don't know about Intakes...I've read they are useful and read they are pointless

However,

I'd go with a borla catback or the TRD. I have the TRD and I like and don't have a drone in my cab and the sound is nice and not ricey IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top