1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extreme wheel hop / bounce??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alec95, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Feb 1, 2015 at 7:28 PM
    Alec95

Alec95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 6spd
    ReadyLift 2.25 coil spacer, Rokblokz mud flaps, Debadged, TRD Sport color matched grill / door handles.
    This is my first post and I'm looking to get some help. Having only had my tacoma for 6 months it hasn't been off road much until recently. The past two times out I encountered loose surfaces (snow: about a foot and half of powder and, sand). During both of these outings I had to head back early do to extreme wheel hop and the fear I was going to break something on the truck. I have tried turning off traction control, running in 2wd with locker on and off, 4wd hi & lo with the e-locker on and off and have not been able to get rid of the wheel hop. Even with the tires aired down it still occurs. Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have already tried the search button but did not find anything... Thanks!

Video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdlbAsXepQ&feature=youtu.be

Jesse72051 likes this.
  2. Feb 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Because of my racing days I associate the term 'wheel hop' with broken traction / spinning tires from a hard launch (on a hard surface). That's usually improved by several techniques, including stiffer suspension settings (leafs, coils, shocks, bushings, slapper bars, etc.)

Even with thousands of off road miles and being stuck lots of times, I never had wheel hop in soft surfaces.

In your video (nicely done!) I don't see tire spin. I do see 'motion' that would seem to go with a rough road/surface, but maybe would expect it with more speed than you are doing.

What is the year and mileage of the truck? I've read a lot of weird things about broken springs on this board, and it does appear to be extra sensitive for such a passive launch. Have you per chance examined the spring pack? Does it only do this on one side?

Also, does it do the same on asphalt?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    Alec95

Alec95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 6spd
    ReadyLift 2.25 coil spacer, Rokblokz mud flaps, Debadged, TRD Sport color matched grill / door handles.
    The truck is a 2014 with 6000 miles. And the springs are fine I would imagine... I told toyota and they changed out the U-bolts, I have no idea why they would but it made no difference. I'm unsure if it does it on asphalt as I have new tires and don't really want to check $$$... And yes this happens on both sides. Thanks for the reply!

4. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    That's axle wrap.

5. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Findus11

Findus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durango
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco
    looks like wheel hop from axle wrap. It's happening because your leaf springs are allowing your axle to tilt forward when you accelerate. My truck did it on stock springs too, got better when I got a new leafpack. The stock leaf springs suck. You could get a new leafpack, or try this first:

6. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Are you on stock leaf springs? I can't tell from the angle.

Looks to me like fairly mild (but annoying) axle wrap. The tires have traction at first but the torque of the drive shaft spinning the wheels bends the leaf springs. The springs bend to the point where there's too much energy stored for the tires to hold traction, and then that energy is released by the tires loosing traction. This happens repeatedly and quickly causing the "hop". This is pretty hard on u joints and other components. Stiffer leaf springs or a traction bar are your only ways to solve the problem.

7. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    yup stock springs.... standard axle wrap. either get on the gas more or get a different spring pack. My wheelers 2in single aal help axle wrap pretty good.

~Ben H

8. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    Alec95

Alec95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 6spd
    They are stock springs. Thanks for all the replies everyone! Just felt like I was alone on this one, glad to know im not the only one. I was thinking ladder bars, is that overkill for a daily driver though? Anyone else find this annoying, my old toyota pickup had 33's on stock sptings and nothing like this happened...

9. Feb 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    Crashdown

Crashdown Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    When this happens to me on the sand, I just drop a couple more pounds of air on that axle. That usually clears it up.
    So 18 PSI becomes 16 PSI, etc.

10. Feb 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    I had this issue not too long ago while pulling someone out of thick sand on the beach. It was a buried 2wd silverado and I was in 4-lo and locked rear. I was trying to be gentle so basically tightened up the slack and rolled into the throttle. He moved back a little bit but I was getting rear hop pretty bad. I backed off and gave it more throttle and everything was good to go.

11. Feb 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Ladder (traction) bars will work great. Some of them are strong enough to double as sliders for your drive shaft.

12. Apr 27, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    weeksz

weeksz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Limited
    Stickers mostly
    Did you ever solve your problem? I'm having serious wheel hop as well. I've never experienced this before. I have pretty much new take-off leafs from a 2019 and a 1.5" AAL and just yesterday tried the whole "U-bolt" with helper leaf fix and it didn't do a thing. Its violent and I feel like I'm going to break something. My wife's Subaru got around better in deep snow this year than my truck because it would just hop and feel like I was going to break an axle.

Ladder bar seems excessive for the occasional offloading that I do.

myn75 likes this.
  13. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    sll914

sll914 Member

Member:
    Same problem here on 2020 stock TRD offroad. I've only had it happen in sand, especially steep sandy climbs. Has anyone found a reasonable fix for this? I don't really want to end up with a heavily modified truck. I made some simple clamps to try on the front of the leafs and I'll try airing down more next time out. It just seems like a serious limitation for an otherwise capable truck...

myn75 likes this.
  14. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    FreshPots

FreshPots "Spared no expense"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road "Lars"
    Never enough
    The general fix for axle wrap is stronger leaf springs. The stock leaf springs on these trucks are not exactly great.

15. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    sll914

sll914 Member

Member:
    OK thx I'll consider stiffer leafs. I do like the way it rides over washboard, etc with the stock springs. Just wish there was a targeted way to fix this one rear axle hop issue without changing the overall stock ride quality. I looked at the ruff stuff anti-wrap traction bar. I guess you have to move the muffler over to make room for these things?

16. Feb 17, 2021 at 3:58 AM
    Brett1618

Brett1618 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma sport
    I also have the same problem in deep snow and off road of wheel hop. Have a 2018 4x4 sport. Also at relatively low speed. Feel like somthings about to break. Good video of showing exactly what's happening. Looks like new leaf spring in the future I guess. Sad

Taco4Jaco likes this.
  17. Sep 14, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    Taco4Jaco

Taco4Jaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 TRD OR
    This thread is super helpful. What’s the recommended traction bars for this kind of thing?

18. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:09 PM
    myn75

myn75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    ARB OME BP-51 2”, TJM sliders, AT3Ws, Diode Dynamics SS42"
    Been looking, cant find anything decent

19. Oct 6, 2022 at 10:49 AM
    Taco4Jaco

Taco4Jaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 TRD OR
    I wound up just doin the 3 leaf progressive AAL and haven’t had problems since. I could prob test it a bit more at the lake now that I’m thinking about it though

20. Oct 6, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    myn75

myn75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    ARB OME BP-51 2”, TJM sliders, AT3Ws, Diode Dynamics SS42"
    For me its the sand and snow that causes it bad. Pretty annoying tho my sisters 4runner with that 3 link doesn’t have any issues.

Taco4Jaco[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top