1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new truck interior rattling apart, seriously?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 98Tacoma13, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Feb 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Mine vibed as well. I have jbl as well. I pulled the panels and put cushions soft plastic and a soft fiber stickys and it helped greatly.
    Plastic my friend. It sucks for sound harmonics.

2. Feb 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    My pet peeve is the center console creaking and squeaking where my knee rests on it. The upper silver part by the shifter moves against the lower black plastic part.

One of these days I plan on taking it apart and doing something about it.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    If you're that keen to picking out rattles in a truck you should be ecstatic that you bought a Tacoma. Find one other mid sized truck out there that is built tighter than the Tacoma and therefore has less rattles. You won't. All cars rattle a little bit.

There's a lot you can do about it, though, but striving for protection in this area becomes exponentially more time consuming and costly once you get closer to it. Check out some of the sound deadening threads in the Audio Video section. You can probably get away with one box of sound deadener, some felt tape, and some acoustic dampening insulation to make your truck almost completely rattle free. I say almost completely because I had over 300lbs of DynaMat, DynaPad, and some other sound deadening mods in my last second gen. I could still pick out very few minor rattles.

Also, sorry you paid for the JBL system :p

4. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:06 AM
    98Tacoma13

98Tacoma13 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'm fine with the jbl system. I have been working on it a little each day. The raammat and ensolite work great on the doors.

I am literally just done with toyota after this. The transmission crossmember started rattling and continues for 2-3 seconds upon shutting a door solidly. I took it by the dealership, nothing changed.

The topper was the door trim. The dealer saw my trim pieces on the back seat and asked me why they were off when they looked at the crossmember. I explained I was sound deadening since they refused to fix it, he said he would put them on for me. I hadn't put any ensolite on the back, so I said thanks but I'll do it.

I get the truck back and shut the door to see if the crossmember vibration stopped. Nope, I get in and my trim piece is on the floor. I pick it up and all 3 of the plastic retainers are broken inside the door. It was just leaning against the god damn door.

I walk back over and they ask well what were they off for anyway? Proceeding to offer me replacements at $5 EACH!! It's the shittiest little piece of plastic ever, and they not only refuse to give me what was broken, but charge a ridiculous amount.

If I hadn't invested as much toward the truck it would be traded in for something else. I have a 2014 corolla sport too, been a good car but after this I'm done.

29k or whatever you paid, I can't help but feel like it's a rolling plastic time bomb. My first gens were all more solid and quiet with 150k then my 15' with under 1k.

5. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:39 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    You bought a Toyota, not a Mercedes.

6. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:48 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    If you take that cover off and spray inside with silicone, it should shut up.

And nice shift knob, btw.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM
    Blze001

Blze001 Breaks things.

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB
    My doors rattle when the bass is up, but I think that's a product of me listening to my music way too loud. :D

Some day I'll pull them off and put some proper sound dampening stuff back there... maybe... if I'm not too lazy...

8. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    Murica

Murica F' YEAH!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Plasti Derp
    yeah you should trade your truck in for a Canyon/Colorado, you'll love it!

9. Feb 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM
    zfox44

zfox44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport BSP DCLB
    2010 DCLB. Aftermarket sound system and no rattles what so ever.

10. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:10 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    the hell with Mercedes

11. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    I have the JBL system. The sub seems to make certain areas of the cabin shake, in particular the door and rear window.

12. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:24 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    just bought a 2015 texas edition super white and mother fucker rattles and squeaks everywhere, especially this buzzing noise coming from behind glove box possibly. when i hit 5000 miles im going to take it in and tell them i want to drive a TRD until mine is fixed and not to even call me till it is...anybody know what buzzing behind glove compartment? im about to lose my mind over this

13. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Interesting I have 80K miles on my 2010 and the only rattles I get is when the seatbelt strap is twisted and the steel buckle is hitting the door. I keep my hitch and pin behind the seat and that rattles every once in awhile but that's not toyota's issue. I fish, hunt, and hike quite a bit and am always on rough roads.

14. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Thanks yall, originally i thought it was a wire that has foam placed outside its harness under glove box....strapped that this up appropriately and still buzzing occurs between 1000 and 2000 rpms. dont get me wrong, i love my tacoma, but damn this buzzing sucks

15. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    Just wait till when ur passenger seat starts to shake n rattle

16. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    901Tacoma

901Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Memphis,TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 12 Prerunner TRD TX Baja
    Tinted Windows, Amber Fogs, Headlights, Blacked out grill and chrome work.
    I have a 2012 and this bitch rattles like a pill bottle. The glove box rattles, the air vents, and door seals. Honestly it could be one of the worst vehicles to rattle in my ownership experience.

17. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    cabo wabo

cabo wabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 dbc short bed trd sport
    I have had my 2015 TRD Sport for 3 months and its very quite.

18. Feb 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Really. A TX baja that you say sucks...:confused:........ idk. Screwdriver, felted pads and some triflo is what is need i think. :eek:

19. Feb 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    98Tacoma13

98Tacoma13 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    i still like a good amount of things with this truck thankfully. guess i just learn from this, if i ever buy another toyota it will be a first gen. i paid 9500 for my last first gen, 4x4 extended cab in perfect shape.

my 04' got the same mileage, it did NOT rattle, i felt 100% confident in everything on it. this truck brand new i'm honestly skeptical. my quality standards are VERY realistic. i've owned kia's that were made better then this from 2006-2007.

anyone who paid 30k + for any vehicle, from any manufacturer, should be able to drive it and listen to a radio without it rattling apart for some time. let alone under 1k miles from a toyota. just means their quality is lower IMO, lesson learned.

anyone else battling the interior rattles, raammat and ensolite foam works awesome. not to start some deadening pissing match, but for what i paid it works amazing. i have used fatmat and raammat now. the vibration is almost non-existent putting your hand on the door panel and is like a palm massage without it. all doors are now done, doing the roof and back wall next and will keep going until it stops rattling.

20. Feb 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    I'm pretty sure most of these rattles are related to having the JBL subwoofer. Isn't the box plastic on them? Think I've heard other people on here with JBL complaining about rattles too.

Probably better off putting in your own sub with a wooden box. These trucks just aren't very sound proofed. I don't think they are good candidates for a sub woofer without spending a lot of money on body panel padding.

My 13' OR non JBL is really tight, best vehicle I've ever owned for rattles, creaks, chirps, or squeaks. There's significant road noise, but I've never heard a rattle unless there's snow/ice crusted fast between the bed and back of cab. Now my 03 Cadillac DeVille sounds like there's a nest of crickets chirping behind the dash at all times, and has sounded like that since around 30k miles!

Products Discussed in

To Top