1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have tint on their windshield?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drjohnson36, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    False. AZ State law (over-rides any city/county) with one exception, written medical consent from a licensed doctor.

Source: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00959-01.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
  3. Oct 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It's best to check your local laws. The site is wrong about California. There is no level of tint allowed on the front side windows. You can have tint if you've got a doctor's note but it has to be removable for driving at night. I've been ticketed for light tint.

see 26208.5
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=26001-27000&file=26700-26712

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    I sure do and always have on all my rigs.. Its a no brainer for me.. Looks killer and I can see out perfectly as if no tint was there and keeps UV rays out and stays cooler.. Plus it looks cool.. Mine is 50% but looks like 5% in the pic

taco2_33654f9e953b3b5b39bda32e1cbef7afe630965f.jpg

5. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Besides a ticket for being not legal.
    Consider what would happen if you happened to get into an accident no matter whose fault at night. You have reduced your visability and we all know what lawyers will do once they find that out.
    Your insurance could cancel saying you did reduce your abality to see.
    The people you have the accident with will no doubt sue you in civil court.

Just a few things to think about.

6. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Quoted for truth

7. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    Rollinn

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    to be honest at 50% tint on "my" windshield I have not really reduced any visibility.. I can see just fine, and if anyone put a chart outside my window and one w/ no tint it would be the same as far as legibility.. A windshield only looks darker from the outside because of the angle of the window and the rest of the windows in the vehicle being tinted as well.. But looking out it is perfectly fine..
    the whole law suit thing is a little overboard IMO, but ok.. There are optimists and pesimists.. I look at the glass half full.. :D
    But we are in vegas and they rarely bite the hand that feeds them out here..

8. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Umm, seems to me that 50% tint blocks 50% of the light entering your vehicle through the windshield. You cannot truly believe that it does not impede your night vision.

9. Oct 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Nice truck I see it every day!:p

10. Oct 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    Rollinn

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    I wouldnt have posted it if it did not believe what im saying... I'm not trying to sell a tint job here, just stating my honest opinion.. It does NOT affect my visibilty out.. Tint is different looking in vs out.. Keep that in mind..
    I suppose if you have bad eyesight than I would suggest against it..

11. Oct 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    You eyes pick up the light coming in to the vehicle. If you can see just as well with or without the tint them it is not blocking any light coming in (which is not true), therefore serves no purpose but to piss off the police.

12. Oct 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    From your link...

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and
    transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the
    front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the
    front seat if the following conditions are met:
    (1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88
    percent.
    (2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all
    requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49
    C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance
    of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as
    specified in that federal standard.

13. Oct 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Thx TRDMAN for spotting my truck. I'm in the automotive lab right there 8-12ish. Come introduce yourself sometime if you can, and if you see a bunch of us outside look for the tall white kid who is looking at your tacoma a little to much.

As for visibility I don't know how you can say it doesn't reduce it. I'm not here to argue with anyone but for me at night it is hard to see out driver side window and I always roll it down. Lol gf hates it when it's wintertime cause her window usually goes down to. Hates it more when I hold down her window button and she can't raise it. Now I have not see out from a windshield tint but I would imagine it is similar.

14. Oct 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Think someone needs to take a picture from standing outside to inside tinted windshield. Let's get some pics of the "banner" 6-8in tint also.

15. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    50% Tint is merely a UV film, it blocks the UV rays, it absolutely 100% does not block 50% of the measurable light coming in... These percentages are being thrown around too loosely here. If that were true, that would mean that 5% tint would make the inside of your vehicle 95% darker... and while 5% does look good and is pretty black in color from the outside, all of us with 5% tint will agree that the inside of our vehicle is not 95% darker than a truck with clear windows.

my buddy has nissan 350Z with double 5% tint on both sides and rear window, and 5% on his windshield. I'll agree without anyone else stating it that it definitely not as safe at night, the double 5 makes the rear 3 windows grey looking from the inside at night, and virtually impossible to see out of, and the front windshield has severely reduced visibility. That being said, in the middle of a bright sunny day, you can cup your hands on the window with your face pressed up against it and you STILL can't see a single thing inside the vehicle, attempting to look in from the outside. But from the inside you get to sit there and watch your friends look like idiots trying to make out a single detail of who is inside. so you can definitely still see inside the car, and his car is an extreme tinting case. Did I mention that his car got impounded on the spot when he did get pulled over? haha go figure...

16. Aug 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    i got really dark tint. double 2% over the stock 20% rear/suicide windows. pretty much black in the middle of the day. double 2% on front doors. 20% entire windshield with a double 2% 6 inch strip along top.

keeps my truck cool, easier on the a/c, makes thieves think twice before breaking in, protects my skin from uv rays (cancer) and it looks super good.

if you want to get the entire windshield tinted but dont want your visibility reduced, 50% is still light and safe. ive had 75 ceramic, 50 chrome and black, 35 black and chrome and ceramic, 20 black. visibility isnt reduced greatly till 35.

Products Discussed in

To Top