1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

determining frame damage...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alloutdrs1, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Feb 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    So last Friday I was rear ended by a Honda civic on my way to work. I was stopped and she hit me at about 35-40mph and didn't do much stopping just used my truck to bring her to a half. Luckily as she hit me I just got off the brake as traffic in front of me must started to move. My Tacoma looks like it took the hit very well, I had my receiver in my hitch and she got her bumper reinforcement pretty square on that. Her car had to be towed away, bumper reinforcement was folded where she hit my receiver and of course radiator was damaged. Since then I have been trying to locate any damage to my truck before the adjuster looks at it so I have an idea of what needs to be looked at/ fixed and don't think I have found anything, possible? I will attach some pictures below of the only things I noticed is that the frame isn't exactly flat in the areas I am pointing to, but out trucks could be this way in that spot. Could someone look at there truck and verify? Thanks, I hope my baby didn't suffer any serious frame damage but hard to tell at this point.

First pic of frame is driver side looking through wheel opening, other two are passenger side looking through wheel opening as well.

IMG_20150217_113026916_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150217_112834608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150217_112858922.jpg
    IMG_20150217_112949914.jpg
    IMG_20150217_112910835.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Maybe it's just the angle, but the gap between the bed and cab looks larger on the passenger side than it does on the driver.

3. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    mikevee

mikevee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 prerunner trd offroad
    Dang, sorry OP!

4. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    ^ Agreed, gaps look quite different in those pics.

5. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    loki750

loki750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Springfield MO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma baja tx
    something isn't straight on there. Could be frame, could be bed damage, or both. But something's out of whack, the bed isn't straight compared to the cab. Looks like its off compared to the wheels too so hopefully just bed isn't straight.

6. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    RZChief90

RZChief90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    X3 on the bed / cab gap. Also the space between the bumper and bed on each side. Again, it could just be the angle of the picture. Not sure about the frame pics. Hard to tell if the metal looks "stressed". How does the truck drive? Does it feel like it's going straight or pulling?

On a side note, how do you like your Leer cap? I just got a price on one from Leondard.

I just thought of something else, if as other posters have noted, the bed is shifted, can you tell if anything has moved inside the bed? I'd look at the bed anchor bolts to see if it looks like the bed has moved?

7. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    I think that's the angle, I just went outside and backed it down the driveway to get more head on pictures. I have taken a tape measure to the bed/ cab gap and both sides are equal. Truck drives great no vibrations, pulling or weird noises.

IMG_20150217_122707804.jpg
    IMG_20150217_122652504_HDR.jpg

8. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    The leer cap has been great, love the looks of it and the removable rear window has been a welcome feature.

9. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Here's a comparison pic from December.

IMG_20141130_122850315_HDR.jpg

10. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM
    RZChief90

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Yes, that looks more square. The only thing I'm looking at now is the bumper. Is it tilting down slightly? Again it could be the picture.

11. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    RZChief90

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Ignore my last post, bumper looks the same. Thanks for the cap info, I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one.

12. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Rear Bumper has always kind of had that tilt to it, look at my comparison picture. Initial esimate of the truck they thought everything looked fine, I'm just amazed it can take that kind of hit and come out on top. I don't even have a scratch on my bumper, +1 Tacoma.

13. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    RZChief90

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    That's good news for sure. Just the aggravation is annoying. All because someone else wasn't paying attention? (Texting ?) I don't worry about my driving, it's all the other people.

14. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, are you going with the 100xq? Its a great cap, when I first got it i was worried the style of the windows wouldn't allow enough ventilation for my lab when shes back there but it hasn't been an issue. The fold down window is great like i said so you can clean the rear window of the truck/back areas of cab with ease.

15. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    RZChief90

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    I think I'm going to get the 100XR with the front fold down slider. Also considering a headliner and the Thule tracks. Did you get yours at Leonard?

16. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Check this thread, which shows very well the frame damage from the hitch being hit. Look for bent or buckled areas on the rear frame.

17. Feb 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the link, mine looks nothing like those pictures and my bed didn't hot the cab at all so I might be good to go. Only area I can find that isn't straight is in the photo below but I don't know if it's like that begin with. I need to compare or look at another Tacoma to figure that out. That picture is looking through the driver side wheel opening just behind that bed mount, the top part of the frame there isn't 100% flat.

IMG_20150217_112858922.jpg

18. Feb 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    locster

locster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4
    You should take it to a body shop and have them do a frame verification. That's the only way to tell if something is off. It's about $350 for the frame check, but you can always bill her insurance later.

19. Feb 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    It obviously looks like the other driver's fault; and was there a police report?

Probably Yes, to those 2, above stated points.

So now your insurance company, should schedule your appointment, with their adjuster. At that time, You tell him/her that you are concerned about frame damage.

It is their job to check it out, and if they deem that there might be a problem; you will select a body shop w/ a frame machine.

Once on the frame machine, they will take measurements; and then determine if repairs are needed. If done right it may even be better than original.

Anyway, your insurance company will be involved.

oldracer

20. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM
    IowaToyotas

IowaToyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Super Charger, 2 In lift, TRD pro 17in Rims, 285 Toyo all country tires
    Just went through this but I was hit by a 4000 lb Ford van fucking dumb ass.... First of all your frame is most likely not bent but that doesn't mean you don't have frame damage.

DO NOT GET ALL CAUGHT UP IN FRAME DAMAGE. Its not the 70's and 80's any more we have the tools......

The Toyota shop I went to has a $750,000 frame machine that bitch is no joke. Seriously its ridiculous and it doesn't lie.

Your frame may or may not have a diamond condition or a height condition. All it means is one of the rails might have shifted forward ever so slightly mine was 1/100 of a inch off and 1/10 of a inch to height do you know how little that is. They pull it costs about $700 and its done. All my alignment numbers were factory spec the frame is in factory specs. My truck looks brand new drives brand new I'm a freak when it comes to my cars. My 2003 mustang looks brand new, I can't tell the difference with after my accident.

TAKE YOUR CAR TO TOYOTA! They do these trucks all month long they know what there doing they know how to make it right. Also know this your truck wasn't perfect when you got it. From the factory your frame can be within 3/10 of a inch off on either rail that's Toyota's specifications and Toyota has high standards in quality assurance so that means that these cars aren't perfect from the factory.

The bumper being tilted I thought the same thing and go look a brand new tacoma it looks exactly the same they just tilt like that. I didn't believe it until I checked out a 15 and sure enough that have the lean to them. Also the rear tail gates aren't perfect either some have a little shake to them and the lines are off.

What ever doesn't matter. Your truck will be fine as long as you take it to Toyota ask for all OEM parts and don't take anything less. Also if you are trying to pursue a diminished value calm PM me I'll explain more didn't work out for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top