1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What wax do you use?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by kris77, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Oct 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Alright, I'm gonna have to back peddle to see who planted this seed that I need a 7424XP. Now I can't see not buying one. Damnit, just when I get some extra $, out it goes. Oh well, I guess if the economy drops dead flat and the dollar is just a piece of paper, I'll be set for a barter economy.

2. Oct 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Paul:
    Once you buy a PC and the other related items you will have forever crossed over to the bright side. There is no going back. What color is your Taco and what is your budget?

[​IMG]

3. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I have indigo ink pearl (dark blue) and my budget is whatever (not limitless). Costal tool had the PC plus a 5" velcro backing pad for $119 and I'm leaning that way. Their shipping to me is like $8 and change. I see Meguiars has the deep crystal glaze/polish for dark colored vehicles and lately I've been using their NXT 2.0 and been very pleased with it. I've only had my Taco since Jan 08 and waxed it 8 times and clay-bar'd it once. I'm fanatical about my finishes but not to the "professional" extreme. Was this TMI?

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Nope TMI is right on the money.

If you want to stay with the Megs product line, after polishing apply 2 coats of #21. This will seal and protect.

At this point you could top it with Megs #26 for a deep shine.

I have had great luck with Fuzion as a topper. It is currently on BOGO so if you had a buddy you could pick up a sample for $25 each.

I have to run but I will get back to you.

5. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man! You're not foolin' me with that IT manager disguise ~ you're a detailer or work in a body shop or something like that:D.

6. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:55 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I am just an enthesiust with 3 vehicles to take care of. I also help out other forum members on another forum and there is always a car in the family that needs help. My sisters know where I live at and they know how long it takes to detail a car. ;)

7. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I think I might have done that. lol... sorry. In all seriousness though, once you get the PC and some pads you will be like that V8 commerical when they slap you head and tell you you shoulda had a V8. :),

The hard thing is pad choice. So many colors lol. I use orange, white and black. Some people like a green pad due to the fact that it can be used with a 1-step polish. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+D15101 or something on that lines.

I use orange with with a mild polish, white with a fine polish and black for wax. Works like a dream. Don't forget the green marine tape.

8. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Rob:
    The next time you polish try a third step and Jewel the finish with a blue pad and Menz PO85RD.

You can really see the difference.

9. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    So I'm reading all this advice and since some of you are so far ahead of me with your detailing knowledge, I'm gonna put this out there. I'm going to purchase the PC but I want to know:

1. what backing pad to buy
    2. what polishing and finishing pads to buy and how many will I need
    3. what polish would you recommend

I have the indigo ink pearl color (dark blue) and have never polished it yet. I have clay bar'd then waxed it this past spring 09 and just recently waxed it again a few weeks ago. I have tried many meguiars waxes and have not liked them over the years until I couldn't find Collinite in the stores and thought I'd try NXT 2.0. I must say, I am impressed and believe I'm going to continue to use it in the future.

Since I'm a beginner, I'm looking to make this process simple and keep me from F'ing up my paint. If I can master the basic process, then I'll entertain "more steps" down the road. Does that sound reasonable? Since I've never even used a polisher/buffer before, here's what I'm considering buying/doing:

1. Buy the Meg W67DA backing pad (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+W67DA), W8207 polishing pad (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+W8207), and W9207 finishing pad (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+W9207).

2. Use the W8207 polishing pad with Megs Deep Crystal polish (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+A2116). The only reason I chose this was that it said it was for dark colors.

3. Use the W9207 pad to apply the wax.

4. Remove the wax by hand with microfiber towels.

I'm not trying to stay in the Meguiars line of products other than the NXT wax ~ which I like for it's longevity. Maybe there's a kit that has what I need already, I don't know but I'm sure you guys do.

Ok, fire away but since I'm new to this, I need to KIS (keep it simple) for now.

10. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Funny you say that, I have always put a blue pad in my cart only to take it out at the end. I use m205 as a finishing polish, gonna try the 85rd when the 205 runs out. I also have Adam's Fine machine Polish which actually rocks. Always a tough choice on which to use. I find 205/FMP on a primed white pad to jewel it up nicely. I also add Chemical guy's EZ Creme Glaze into the mix with a primed white pad before sealing w/ JetSeal. I then top with 50/50 wax. Shine is almost too much on my Silver. Next summer I am going to try to blue pad just to see.

11. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    ph16drive

I would skip the Meguiar products if I were you. They are not bad, but you can find easier/better options than that deep crystal polish.
    Check out simple kit with most of what you need. I own this machine along with the backing plate and the Lake Country pads. I get terrific results.
    For polish I'd suggest Optimum compound and Optimum polish. These polishes do not dust very much and have a long "work" time. Easy learning curve also.
    Depending on what condition your paint is in, you may need a more aggressive pad(LC orange+ Optimum compound) to start with before using the white pad with Optimum polish. Take a look at the forums over at www.autopia.org. Tons of helpfull info.

12. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    zaino with s100 as the finishing touch

13. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    One thing to keep in mind is that there are tons of products out there. Enough to make your head spin twice. Meguiar's stuff is OK, but there is better out there. For pads, a lot of people like the Lake County pads. I use hex logic pads from Adam's Polishes. I really like them. To each thier own however. If it was me, I would look on the following websites:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-430-adams-4-spot-pad-buffing-kit-new.aspx
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/

read up on the forums and then make your choices for products. For me, I like Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover followed by Adam's Fine Machine Polish. I also have m105 followed by m205. I don't really stray to far from that. I use an orange pad with the agressive polishes and the white is the finishing. Seeing you have a dark finish, I highly recommend getting Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze. Awesome stuff there.

One thing to keep in mind is try to dial in your technique. What I mean by that, is section off a section of your hood 12"x12" roughly. Try the least agressive approach possible. Finishing polish on the white pad. And try 1 to 2 passes and see what you have. If you don't like the results, move up to the orange pad with the finishing polish and try. If no go, then do the orange and agressive polish. By doing this, you will know exactly what is needed to to go around your truck. That way, you don't go around the truck and not like the results and waste all day doing it.

Always try the least agressive polish first then move up the agressive (cut) scale. No need to take off clear if not needed.

14. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Rob:
    If you are happy with the Megs 205 use it as the Jeweling polish with a blue pad. The Megs 105 and 205 is a hard combo to beat. A lot of the pros use them. No need to spend the cash on the Menz product.

15. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Bingo. Of all the advice you can give this is the best. See what works on your finish in a small 2ft sq area then proceed to do the rest of the truck.

16. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Dave nice choices. The S100 is a good wax. I think I have some P21S somewhere. I may have given it away to a friend on another forum.

17. Oct 4, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies and advice . . . looks like I have a lot of reading/watching to do before I make the purchase.

18. Oct 4, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    MWilliamson

MWilliamson Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    I bought and used the turtle wax ICE stuff today. It is great! So easy to put on and take off. Don't have to worry about black trim or anything. It made the black stuff look great also. Of course it started raining right after I washed/waxed. On my way home it looked like I had rain-x on the truck or something. The water was just flying off.

19. Oct 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    I plan to pick up Adam's Americana wax, their Machine Super Wax sucks but I've seen great results from Americana on another forum. Once I get it I'll post up some results. I haven't decided if I will use their polish, or Zaino during the detail.

20. Oct 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I disagree with you on the superwax. Did you apply it with a machine or by hand? I find superwax very long lasting and gives a good gloss. Remember that it is a sealant not a wax. If you used any other product before the MSW, you will not have good results. FWIW, his polishes are fantastic. If you have some serious damage to your finish, you can still use Adam's, but it will take more passes to get it done. I would go with a more agressive polish if I was in that boat.

To Top