1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repainted truck, odd options, walk away or no?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kayakingguy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Feb 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    kayakingguy

kayakingguy [OP] Ask about my custom truck detailing!

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    I'm looking at a 2002 step-side single cab Taco that has per history 84K miles.

It has the solid rear window, not the sliding one. It has Bucket seats and not bench... From what I know (tell me if I'm wrong) the bucket seats were not standard on the solid rear window standard cab. From what I also know the step-side option was an upgraded so it normally would've come with bucket seats and sliding rear window in that package...

The owner also has told me that it has been repainted.

I don't want to walk away from a good truck, but my spidey senses are tingling.

Is this a Frankentruck someone pieced together? Is being repainted too obvious a warning sign to ignore?

I haven't seen it in person yet and am wondering if it's worth an hour drive knowing this already...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGuEEgZH1DWjJzdlNRVlpaUVU/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGuEEgZH1DendfLTdCSHNhaVU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Feb 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    carfax is your friend, or some other similar service

3. Feb 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Could be. Although, it may be worth paying for a thorough inspection(2nd opinion).
    I am not a fan of repainted vehicles unless I know the vehicle and who painted it and why. Maybe the owner will tell you who painted it. If so and it is local, you could always see if they have records of the job and can shed some light on the reasoning.
    The best of luck.

4. Feb 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    Sure, I check that too, but I'm not sure if what is on it is some weird trim combination and Carfax won't tell me what was done to it unless it was reported. I just am wondering if this trim combination looks familiar to anyone? Supposedly it was black prior to being re-painted...

5. Feb 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    ChrisH

ChrisH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orinda, CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Well, trust your intuition and walk away.

The question you need to ask, are you going to be kicking yourself for *not* buying this truck?

Seems that enough come on the market that you can steer away from the suspect ones.

The rear bumper & tailgate are banged up. Could be normal use, could be from a wreck that broke the sliding window - cheaper to put in a non sliding one...

6. Feb 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Yes go with your gut and not Carfax. Carfax is only good if their buddy at the body shop or something else put the info in. To me Carfax is useless.

7. Feb 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM
    bighouse01

bighouse01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD
    Years ago I had a Nissan std cab 4x4. The bench was the worst seat ever to sit in. I found factory buckets and swapped em.

Maybe you thinking about it too much?

You could have a body guy check it out for repairs that are hard to detect. Or maybe it was repainted just from looking shabby. Anythings possible.

But that's a great looking truck!!!

8. Feb 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    how much??? hell yea--it would be worth an hour drive--older person owner?
    Fl Trucks are ususally GOOD! as long as they did not live on the beach

9. Feb 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    Good advice and thanks. The owner is a second owner and has no idea why it was painted. He was honest about it. I'm just wondering if they ever did any combos of solid rear window with bucket seats... If someone swapped lots of things like the seats that really worries me... I can deal with normal wear and tear but a cover-up leaves me wondering how much else might be wrong... or it COULD be a great truck... just don't know, vehicle check doesn't tell me any info on mods made by the owners of course if they weren't reported...

10. Feb 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    Interesting thought. I'm sure a lot of people don't report this stuff so who knows. I know I kick myself every day for selling the '96 I had but am wary of tinkering... I'd rather have stock and fixable versus tinkered with and worse than it was in the first place. 84k miles on a 2002 seems too good to be true... Was it hard to rollback the odometers on the 02's?

11. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    unlike todays vehicles, years ago it was common to order the truck equipt just the way you want it rather then being forced to take what the dealer packages decides it has on it.

if I were ordering a truck I would have it equipt with solid back glass and bucket seats so who is to say this is not what the original owner did?

also the back glass can get broken by cargo very easy like the rack on a 4 wheeler or a 2x4 tossed in carelessly and as mentioned if you had to buy another one, its cheaper for the solid glass or maybe it needed to be ordered so they put in what they had on hand if it was a rush job.

everything you mentioned so far can be explained by someone just doing things to make the truck more to their taste, nothing screams "trouble" to me.

12. Feb 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    You might be right. This turned into a non-issue however as the owner has backed out... We had an agreement to see it on a day and time then he decided to show it to someone else and changed plans at the last minute... that and sending the wrong VIN at first, which could've been a mistake, but the bad vibes and reneging ... Not a trustworthy or honest person so far, so that's done...

There is a '96 with a hand-spray painted bed liner from a can and a minor brake leak... 132K miles for 6300 a fella wants to sell... I wish he hadn't painted the bed himself even though it doesn't look terrible, just wondering what kind of damage could be under there...

13. Feb 25, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    ChrisH

ChrisH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orinda, CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Any significant damage would be visible from underneath the bed. Otherwise it would've been just paint & scratches.

Every truck will have *something* wrong with it. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top