1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

crankshaft pulleys half millimeter too small.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by maximilian55, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    maximilian55

maximilian55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    So i have a 2004 2.7l motor with the two outer crankshaft pulleys cracked from two of the bolt holes to the inner edge of the pulley. Im in the process of welding them up right now. But i have a 1999 tacoma with the 2.7 as well. I pulled the pulleys off the 99 so i could have my 04 running while I take care of the cracked pulleys. However the pulleys on the 99 are about half a millimeter too small on the inner edge. So in order to fit them on the harmonic balancer i would take a dremel and barely grind up the inner edge.

My question is how perfectly do the pulleys need to line up on the harmonic balancer since they bolt into it anyways?

2. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    best to use the right part, it is a balancer, and its needs to fit perfect...

3. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    you sure that 99 wasn't a 2.4 and not a 2.7 engine? they "look" identical in every way but the numbers.

if it was a 4wd it was a 2.7 but if not you need to check

I would NOT weld them, I wont even get into weld penetration and stress and hardening it after or being able to mill the inside and outside diameters and all that but even if you are extremely talented you still wont be sure its perfectly round again and it will unbalance the engine and things will become damaged from being out of balance, its not worth saving $10 at the salvage yard so throw the broken one away and replace it

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Have you tried some heat? Rose bud or just the little torch that screws onto the cans?

It may make the pulley swell enough to go on. It'll need to be hot enough to sizzle and bead spit but not red hot, as then you'll affect the temper.

5. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    maximilian55

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    The balancer is fine. my problem is the outer two crankshaft pulleys dont fit onto the balancer perfectly.

their both the 3rz. And I have a buddy who is a welder for a living. So i would have him make sure its all good to go. Im not touching the balancer, its the outer pulleys that slide onto the balancer and then bolt into it.
    I havent tried that yet but might give it a go.

6. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    maximilian55

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    So I just found out that my problem is being caused by the harmonic balancer i got from napa.

The the pulleys are all the same. they even have the same part number branded on them. however they are slightly too small to fit over the napa harmonic balancer.

In the picture i have the pulley sitting on my old (Stock) balancer. The inner edge of the pulley slides perfectly over the inner lip of the balancer and is all good. However on the new harmonic balancer i would have to really force it to sit flush and at that point it would be impossible to line up the bolts
    D0E68FA8-F858-46A3-9FC3-6E9CA4E37209_zps_200871f4da64d8fb23026ca76f0cc28baabe1073.jpg

7. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:48 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    damn, you can usually trust napa for good parts that fit, that sucks.

hopefully you can get a full refund and order oem replacement from rockauto.com so you know you will have the right part that fits.

oh ok, I see what you are talking about now, but still, it should be very easy to pick up some used pulleys for nearly nothing at the salvage yard then you don't have to try to retemper the soft metal after it has been welded.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top