1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by Supra TT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Did you forget automatics have gears too? :luvya:

2. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Are your skyjackers the set for the 1500 or the 2500? The ones that I twisted are for the lighter truck and I'm wondering if I'd have better luck with the heavier leafs.

3. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Touche haha. I still prefer the experience of driving stick!

4. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Where are you looking at buying these? I actually need a set for my silverado so I can take the blocks out

5. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Summit seems to have the best price. No tax and free shipping.

6. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    :eek:

7. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    rctoy

rctoy It's about to get real!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    First gen 4door monster in progress
    TRD super charger, URD fuel mods and 2.1 super grip pully, Headers, 2.5" glass pack, Dana 60 front 4 linked, 14bolt rears on chev 63's, 5.38 gears, ARB locker in the front, PSC full hydraulic steering, 18" SAW 2.5" triple rate coils overs, FOA 2.5 air bumps, B&M launch controls, B&M trans cooler, 4 alpine 6X8 type R's amped, Red led rock lights, CBI front and rear bumpers (my design) CBI sliders, 4 riggid dualys front 2 in the rear, custom track bar, ARB snorkle, warn VR8000 winch, Viair 480c twin compressers..
    im with this guy ^^ though my trans is built I pulled it out and had the highest end clutch's put in it upgraded a few packs with more disks like my first and revers. also I have a shift kit with manual low over ride so when I put it in first it stays in first.
    Also crawl box behind and auto just makes life that much easier.

I ran the 1500 springs. I think it's just cuz you are heavier and that's makes your springs work harder in more than just load.
    this was my last track bar. im going to build something close to that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. Mar 1, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I thought you were running 63s?

It was slick enough in mccall the other weekend with the weird off and on rain I spun the crap out of my 35s and drifted through an intersection...didn't think it would kick out that hard haha.

9. Mar 2, 2015 at 5:08 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    My .02. I bent my 8leaf deavers very similar to the way that SMKYTXN did running them without a traction bar and no bumpstops. It got so bad the rear end sagged lower than stock on the drives side and i was getting axle wrap anytime i let off the clutch, my yokes were slapping each other and i was hating life. In addition to clapping out my springs, i also broke two shocks over the course of 5 years in the rear. To fix it i bought a set of all pro expo leafs, and pulled two leafs out. I also actually bought the right size shock (12" 7100 short bodies), i re did the shock mounts and bump stopped it properly. Now i have almost zero axle wrap, the truck flexes pretty good and i am actually happy with how it performs. I would look at the entire rear suspension as a whole, get some quality leafs (skyjackers are crap) and set it all up right.

10. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Yes, I had a set of skyjacker 5" lift springs on the truck, which are 63's. I ran the lift springs due to the weight of the truck.

You're right, I didn't have the rear end fully set up. I didn't have bumps installed, and I had blown both the rear shocks the day before.

You're the first to say that skyjackers are crap. I admit that their fit and finish when they showed up was pretty horrible. Paint runs everywhere. I had to chase each nut with a tap and clean up every bolt due to them being cut at odd angles and not finished.

So, if I need a 63 lift spring, who do I go with?

11. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    I cant help you there with spring selection, but that is a reason i never went with 63" chevys. You seem to be stuck with junkyard packs, or some packs made for bro trucks, which tend to focus on height rather than performance. I also think their overall performance is greatly overrated and can be achived with a taco length pack, but your past that point i guess. I would look and see if BDS makes 63" springs, i had those on a jeep and i loved those springs, they had full military wraps and a kick ass warranty against breakage. Other than that, start looking at each spring mfg and get some lengths.

As for skyjacker, i always thought it was a well known fact in the off road community that their stuff was crap. I saw a set of their tj coils get blown the first run with them, the only coil spring that i ever saw that bulged out in the middle like a set of hips.

12. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM
    rctoy

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    TRD super charger, URD fuel mods and 2.1 super grip pully, Headers, 2.5" glass pack, Dana 60 front 4 linked, 14bolt rears on chev 63's, 5.38 gears, ARB locker in the front, PSC full hydraulic steering, 18" SAW 2.5" triple rate coils overs, FOA 2.5 air bumps, B&M launch controls, B&M trans cooler, 4 alpine 6X8 type R's amped, Red led rock lights, CBI front and rear bumpers (my design) CBI sliders, 4 riggid dualys front 2 in the rear, custom track bar, ARB snorkle, warn VR8000 winch, Viair 480c twin compressers..

Sky jacker doesn't build crap springs. when you run a set of them your self you can talk shit. there are many other thing that came into play the only thing you can say bad about them is they are a soft ride spring so they can be bent if over extended a track bar and bumps are the fix. If you blow a motor up cuz you didn't put enough oil in it is it the motors fault???

13. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Yup, my partial rear build is at fault here. I'm set up for the skyjackers so I'm going to order another set. Needless to say the trac bar, bumps, and correct shocks will be installed before I wheel it again. :D

14. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    rctoy

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    your next set will last much longer that way. no spring lasts for ever they all sag and get old and break over time.

15. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

They do build shit springs. I never ran them because i know people that have and they rode like shit, they perform like crap and don't last nearly as long as they should. They ended up swapping them out for a quality spring and were much happier. I blew out a set of deaver springs, but you don't see me talking bad about them as they are great springs, i just set them up wrong.

If i wanted a skyhigh lifted bro truck that was a pavement pounder, then yes i would run skyjacker springs, but for anything leaving the pavement no thanks.

16. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    rctoy

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Funny haven't had an issue with my sky jackers. Two other guys in my area are running sky jackers and haven't had an issue sounds like it's more set up than anything else.

17. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Lucky you/them. I know 5 people in my wheeling circle that have tried them (usually being cheap and or getting them for damn near free) and they were off the rigs after a season of wheeling. After seeing that, they have been added to my do not buy list. Ultimately its your money do whatever you want with it.

18. Mar 2, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    Darthyota

Darthyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Blown BSP X-Runner
    TRD s/c @ 9lbs, Unobtanium Welding 321SS Full Race Exhaust, B&M s/s, TRD 1st Gen CAI, sittin sic track ready drop, TSW Tanka's with 275/40/18's all the way around, 4300k hid's in headlights and fogs, with more to come
  19. Mar 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    rctoy

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Yeah guess us Idaho boys have all the luck :D

20. Mar 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    rctoy

Member:
    First Name:
    konstantenos
    Pocatello Idaho
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

sweet.

To Top