1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing a Softopper in the FREEZING cold?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZTacoma2, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    AZTacoma2

AZTacoma2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    I'm moving cross country this week (with a dog) and frantically trying to get my softopper installed. It's been below freezing and/or snowing all week. Truck is a 13 but the topper came off an 01 (softopper was barely ever used, if even used once), so it's that heavier old canvas material the first few years of softoppers were.

Anyways, I tried for hours today to get the canopy to snap on and couldn't get it to snap on all the way, while it was snowing. I need to start driving tomorrow. I'm desperate. Any advice for getting the canopy on in cold weather? Any tips or tricks that made the snapping easier? I'm going to try again in the morning.:(

2. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    AZTacoma2

AZTacoma2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    Has everyone experienced this same thing in the cold?

3. Mar 1, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Everything shrinks in cold air. Heat is the answer to make the canvas pliable ans easy to stretch.

4. Mar 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    Agreed. It's a PITA

5. Mar 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    put it together inside, then carry it out to truck already set up

6. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!

What he said...or at least have the frame all installed on the truck and get the top nice and warm in the house and then move fast!. It will also help if you have a sliding back window to have the truck warmed up, slap the top on, open up the window and crank your heater blower on high w/ full heat. The best top for my FJ40 is always an issue when it is cold outside....heater on full usually warms it up to where you can snap it on....not sure how the Taco covers work, but if they have tension adjustments, leave them loose and also having the back window flap un-zipped also helps....just let things get warm before you try to zip up the back flap.

7. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Will a Softopper from a first gen even work on a second gen?

8. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    AZTacoma2

AZTacoma2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    Yes. I called Softopper, and the bed length matches. All I had to do was get new clamps for the utility rails. I got the bedrails on, and the frame snapped together..It's the canvas that's killing me.

9. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Assuming your struggling with the rear, or front, depending where you start buttons? Keep in mind it's not critical to have those snapped to get going. I would get as many as I can and if only a few in the back on each side are not snapped just put the back bar and, velcro it and go. I would start in the front and move back so any not snapped are in the back not the front. Drive it and hopefully later in the day you can get the rest.

When I'm camping I'll often leave 2-3 unsnapped in the back on each side and roll up the back corners to keep some fresh air moving. (kids or dogs in the back sometimes on the back gravel roads)

You can also use the 4 straps to pull the frame down extra tight then loosen them up after.. When I first put mine on I pulled down and back on the rear portion of the frame to help get them all snapped. The pressure from the frame then helped stretch it out.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  10. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:16 PM
    AZTacoma2

AZTacoma2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    Bingo! I got it on the front, with the frame folded down. Then folded the frame forward, so it's completely up, and am thinking, "Alright, I can do this!" And started on the back..It was incredibly difficult. Got several done, with someone BRACING on it. Then went to start on the side snaps along the bedrails..and all the ones on the back popped off.

11. Mar 2, 2015 at 3:12 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Haven't tried it in the cold. Hell I got one when I had my 11 and it was the middle of the summertime and it was still a bitch to get on. The fabric has to heat up and stretch before you can even begin to get the back to snap on. It sucks man. Been there.

12. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    AZTacoma2

AZTacoma2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    After a lot of pulling and huffing and puffing yesterday, it's on! The bedrails popped off and had to be put back on 8 times in the process :mad: but it was worth it!

And I think it looks pretty good, for a cover that was in the bag for 14 years!

021.jpg

13. Jun 16, 2015 at 1:15 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    The tan on red looks good and makes a nice contrast!

14. Jun 16, 2015 at 2:03 AM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    The hard,frustrating work ended up paying of for you and it looks good!

Products Discussed in

To Top