1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Taco Rear Brake Squeal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ultravista, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Feb 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 Black DCLB
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    I've noticed this same thing recently on my 14' when I am driving with the radio off. My truck only has about 6200 miles on it so nothing should be worn out already! Like you said OP I only hear it when coming to a stop. I hear the squeal literally only when stopping between 10 mph and 0 mph. I am interested to see what you find out if you take it into the dealer. I am not really worried about it right now since my brakes feel fine and it is a very faint noise. If you find something else out tho I might change my mind.

2. Feb 28, 2015 at 10:44 PM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    I have the SBS (school buss squeak).

Maybe it's from build up on the shoes or the drums need to be re-surfaced. Either way it's annoying...

RJM

3. Mar 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM
    ultravista

ultravista [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma
    Definitely the rear brakes. The car sat outside for a few hours and when I pulled into the garage, it really made a racket while feathering the brakes pulling in slowly.

My son said it was the passenger rear. In the garage with the windows down, it was very pronounced. Not a high piercing squeal, but a noise that shouldn't be.

I've Googled the problem and can't find information about this issue w/2014. The 2011-2012 yes, and the symptoms are identical.

4. Mar 1, 2015 at 10:25 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    you might try the good old trick of a couple of stops from reverse and see if that helps. Drums have slack adjusters that work when the brakes are applied in reverse. It also helps to scuff off any little debris that might be contacting the drum unevenly and causeing noise. Its also easy and free to try.

5. Mar 3, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    GreyTaco

GreyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Deland, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 TRD Off Road
    Nuttin, Yet
    I have the same issue on my 2011. The dealer argued and said it wasnt covered under warranty. Now my truck is out of warranty. So I'm just going to replace the shoes and drums myself. I dont want those morons touching my truck anyway.

6. Mar 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Did you take it in when you still had warranty?

7. Mar 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    My 2013 has squealed from day one in reverse. Only in high humidity. Dealer can't hear it so its not a problem to them.

8. Mar 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    I have a 2014 with 4100 miles and I have noticed a squeak at low speeds. It has only been in the colder weather.

I figured it to be the seals on the shocks. <-- Thought nothing concerning further than that.

9. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    What a shitty, dickhead post. Nice job, Ace.

10. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    GreyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Deland, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 TRD Off Road
    Nuttin, Yet
    Yes and they wanted to argue with me and tell me they would charge me if it was due to brake wear. I'm not giving anyone my business that wants to argue with me. It's annoying but I'll just deal until I get new brakes. they arent that expensive and I'll put them on myself.

11. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Have been noticing the same faint sqeal at low speeds on my '13, usually pulling out of the garage in the morning...called my dealer, said there have been some issues with brake shoe dust, and dirt/salt causing the prob....taking care of it under warranty, when it gets above freezing.

12. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Questions I have are..........

Do we KNOW what the root cause of this rear squeal, especially on newer low mile units?

Is there a TSB out there on the topic?

Does the TSB offer a solution under warranty?

Is braking actually affected, or is it just annoying?

Or is there just a lot of complaining in here, and no one really knows what's up?

All that said, I hear it on my '13 10k unit sometimes too. More of a moan than a squeal to me.

13. Mar 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    That sucks. All I did was tell my toyota adviser and he pulled up a TSB (2011-2012) to fix it. I heard if you take it in during your warranty period and they have it in the system, you can possibly still get it?

[​IMG]

14. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    ultravista

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma
    I have an appointment this Saturday. Based on my over-the-phone explanation, the service technician said the first thing they'll do is check/adjust the parking brake tension.

A friend was in the truck today, he described it as a harmonic vibration, similar to running a wet finger around glass rim. It made sense. The noise is identical when it occurs and it is hard to reproduce. It may do it several times a day - or not.

It's when I get to that sweet, or shall I say, squeak, spot with speed and pressure on the peddle.

While mine is a 14, the TSB above describes the issue perfectly.

15. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Rear drum brakes have been around since the dawn of vehicles. It was posted already. Drive around, get brakes warm. Then find a good spot. In a straight line in reverse, get it up to around 20 mph and brake. Not hard but feathered. Do this a few times. You will see improvements each time.

Going forward the braking bias is about 80/20 front to rear. In reverse you go to about 60/40.

The brake shoes are glazed. Going in reverse cooks off the glazing.

More meats

16. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

My Opinion.

17. Mar 7, 2015 at 7:28 PM
    ultravista

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma
    The service tech explained it as typical for someone who breaks lightly as I demonstrated it at a crawling pace of maybe 1-2 MPH. He said quite a few Toyota's do it, including the Camry.

He suggested I brake harder once and a while, including in reverse, to keep drum glaze to a minimum.

Mine is not a squeal but more of a harmonic resonation; akin to running a finger around the rim of a thin walled glass.

18. Mar 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    GreyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Deland, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 TRD Off Road
    Nuttin, Yet
    I would say that describes the sound perfectly/\ /\

19. Mar 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    pavemobile

pavemobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake

Here is something I did on my '09 (currently at 59k), and all the drum brake cars I have owned if they acted up like yours are.

Mark your drum and one wheel stud with a mark to index them...Sharpie or dot of some kind. Remove the drum; on the Tacoma's there is a paper gasket on the axle flange to help with corrosion/harmonics. Take compressed air and blow all the dust out that you can (don't forget a dust mask and safety glasses), then take some 180/220 grit sandpaper and just brake the sharp edge on the shoe material at the top, the 90 degree corners, and the outer edge/long side that faces the outer part of the drum. Nothing too aggressive, just brake the edges. Then finally, take a fresh piece of sandpaper and just scuff the friction surface...the part that rubs the drum brake surface, and the drum friction surface. Again, nothing dramatic, just brake the glaze on the friction surfaces. Blow everything out real good (don't forget a dust mask and safety glasses), put your drums and wheels back on and drive a little while and do the backup and step on your brakes several times to let the self adjusters do their thing. Sometimes when they self adjust they seem a little tight and glaze up a little.

Not foolproof but tends to quiet them down. Modern friction material is different than what was available in the 70's, 80's and 90's and can be temperamental sometimes. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top