1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good local shops?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by TacoAK, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    TacoAK

TacoAK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, newer Tacoma owner here, wondering if there's any good local shops for wheels, tires, suspension, etc. around town (Anchorage) that actually carries parts in stock or won't charge me shipping. I love it here but shipping costs suck!!

2. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    charles

charles Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Try green tree fabrications of of old seward. they specialize in toyotas

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    AKtoyTaco

AKtoyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    X2 call the guys at Green Tree. I wouldn't take my ride anywhere else. Call Dan Green the owner, tell him Adam sent you, here is his cell 907-250-8685.

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    AKtoyTaco

AKtoyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    another thought, Underground Performance does a good job too and has access to lots of different parts dealers. They don't specialize in custom fab stuff like Green Tree does, but for bolt on parts you can definitely trust them. You can reach Underground at (907) 349-1555. But if you want real custom work, Green Tree is the way to go.

5. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    GrayTacoma

GrayTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Huntingtown, MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    PIAA ion yellow fogs stay on all time,aux reverse lights, aux lights, camper with rack, cb, air bags, on board air, aux fuse box, aux batt, CAI, etc.............
    MGM truck accessories, I used to work there, Ask for Mike or Spike Lasky tell them Andy send you.

6. May 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    joshcuerdo

joshcuerdo Member

Member:
    anchorage, alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma SR5
    Vortec Muffler
    Hey guys, new member. I see this is kind of an old thread so I dont know if I'll get a reply. I've had my Taco for about 3 years now, its the best truck ive ever owned. I never was the type to do anything with something thats already perfect. But, I feel my truck deserves to get spoiled a little more. I also am getting sick of getting stuck. So, in your guy's opinions, Im going for a 6 inch coil over pro comp suspension lift, with 17 inch rims and 35 inch nittos. I know NOTHING about trucks. I quoted a few places in town. American Tire quoted me about 8000 dollars. Is there anywhere else that would be a little bit lower? I understand money pays for good work, but if im paying for a little under half of what my truck is worth, i feel I should at least haggle a little bit. Thanks so much.

7. May 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Let us help you, and you dont need to go that big to not get stuck. 8000 is ridiculous. My whole suspension will be less than 6k and I'll be running agressive 34's on less than 4" of lift

8. May 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Ben, you don't even get stuck on your stock setup with bald tires :p. magic!

Josh, most of us just run 3ish inch lifts with 33s. Seems to do pretty well. Get good functionality and gennerally avoid a lot of the complications of bigger lifts. If youre going to run 35s, you might have to regear too, which will be even more money. Not sure exactly how big it is before re gearing is really needed.

If you want a good setup, i would look at icon, king, or fox. All 3 inch lifts and great quality. Tire wise i would suggest 33s. They look good, and are relatively functional on and off road. (Depending on your tread choice). I love my nitto terra grapplers. Not too bad to drive on roa and have thus far performed well off road. The lift/tires/UCAs/extended brake lines setup shouldnt be anywhere near 8 grand if you go this route. Could probably do it for about 5k or so.

9. May 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    joshcuerdo

joshcuerdo Member

Member:
    anchorage, alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma SR5
    Vortec Muffler
    I do appreciate the advice, my neighboor has a 4 inch lift on his 08 taco. it looked ok. I was going with three main brands, b&s, pro comp, and king. (with fox shocks all the way around)

I mainly enjoy the look of it, and I do not really have a max price range. I just wanted to get peoples opinion price wise. My father also had a 6 inch lifted 97 taco. What exactly is regearing? None of the shops that I got quotes from talked about regearing.

10. May 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    joshcuerdo

joshcuerdo Member

Member:
    anchorage, alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma SR5
    Vortec Muffler

11. May 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    If money wasnt an issue, id get king resi shocks all around and dakar leafs. Also, total chaos upper control arms. Youll probably need these to get an alignment. Id stick with my nitto terra grapplers for tires. If you get extended travel shocks, youll need extended brake lines too. Do some research on here. Lift info has been beat half to death.

Regearing is changing the gears in the rear differential to get the proper gear ratio for the engine to wheel power converstion. Search for more info on this too.

Products Discussed in

To Top